Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Science books.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science books.

Please post any science related books you have enjoyed, want to review, or recommend to others. They can be anything from popular science books for a general audience to textbooks for the professional. This also includes internet literature that are public domain.

The Microbe Hunters
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

51S-RFDLmbL._AC_US160_.jpg

Comment

The Physical Universe: An Introduction to Astronomy - Shu

This is a great introduction to astronomy that uses little more than algebra and trigonometry to illustrate some essential concepts in astronomy, so you don't even need any calculus to read it. It is somewhat dated, but I think it's still good for beginners. Make no mistake though, this is a professional astronomy book that was used for first year undergrads.

NOTE: Do not confuse this with the other textbook simply titled 'The Physics Universe' .

The Cosmic Perspective - Bennet - Donahue -Mark Voit

Another fine introduction to the field that also requires the same level of mathematics, and is more modern.

Comment

This book is basically a brick of different mathematics commonly used in the physical sciences. It covers everything from single variable calculus to group theory, and it's pretty much the only math book you'll need. By the end you'll have what you need to do QM and Relativity.

Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering - Riley - Hobson - Bence.

Comment

I prefer books that tie a bit more history into the mix.
            Straight up science factoids would make me sleepy.

I'm glad there are people who enjoy that sort of thing.
            Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

The Story of Life in 25 Fossils: Tales of Intrepid Fossil Hunters and the Wonders of Evolution

9780231171908.jpg

By paleontologist Donald Prothero. A nice follow on to his earlier excellent book What The Fossils Say And Why It Matters.

Comment

I am pretty much out of date with my latest.

book.jpg
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

The Making of the Atomic Bomb - Richard Rhodes
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                    I prefer books that tie a bit more history into the mix.
                    Straight up science factoids would make me sleepy.

I'm glad there are people who enjoy that sort of thing.
                    I prefer educational material. The fact that they teach so much science history in science classes annoys me to no end.
                    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

41P1BB52W1L._SX372_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This was an enjoyable introduction to Astrophysics.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        I prefer educational material. The fact that they teach so much science history in science classes annoys me to no end.
                        Absolutely.

It would be one thing to have a particular class that addresses the history of each field of science, but we don't need deep history in each course. A student can learn these subjects just fine without all these back stories.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]22388[/ATTACH]

This was an enjoyable introduction to Astrophysics.
                          Ah, the classic BIG ORANGE BOOK - though it's not orange there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                            Ah, the classic BIG ORANGE BOOK - though it's not orange there.
                            The entire spine is orange, tho.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Galaxies in the Universe: An Introduction - Sparke - Gallagher

A fine course in galaxy formation, galaxy clusters, and active nuclei.

Comment