Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Science books.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

51mqLcf073L.jpg

51N-OzJZ1uL.jpg

Comment

Death from the Skies!: These Are The Ways The World Will End by Phil Plait
      Bad Astronomy: Misconceptions and Misuses Revealed, from Astrology to the Moon Landing "Hoax" by Phil Plait
      Bad Science by Ben Goldacre
      Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Chaos: Making a New Science by Charles Gleick

The discovery of the fractal nature of our physical existence changed science.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

The History and Practice of Ancient Astronomy
          James Evans

Have you ever felt unsatisfied by being told facts about the shapes/sizes/movements of the solar system and wondered how in the world anyone knows any of that only from watching the movement of lights in the sky, only from the perspective of the surface of the earth? E.g. how could you conclude that any one light in the sky is closer/farther than another?

This book starts from raw observation and experiments that it teaches you to do, and shows you how to make the calculations to deduce that the earth is round, calculate the size of the earth, distances to the moon and sun, the tilt of the earth's axis, and much more.

It has history for those who are interested in the history. It explains what the ancients knew and how they knew it (and they knew a lot). And teaches you how to do it like they did it, including constructing your own astrolabe. But even if it's not the history you are interested in, I think it's really valuable in showing you how the model of the solar system is derived, from the ground up. And thus I think it is an excellent introduction to astronomy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
            Please post any science related books you have enjoyed, want to review, or recommend to others. They can be anything from popular science books for a general audience to textbooks for the professional. This also includes internet literature that are public domain.
            Human Evolution - Graeme Finlay.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Desborough View Post
              Human Evolution - Graeme Finlay.
              Good to see you around Barry.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Good to see you around Barry.
                Thanks, Rogue. It's a bit quiet here, though...

Comment