Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jesus' cry from the cross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Manwë Súlimo View Post
    Ugh, the formatting got massacred in the copy-and-paste.
    You may wish to simply indent your quotes. (This is what I do.)
    For Neo-Remonstration (Arminian/Remonstrant ruminations): <https://theremonstrant.blogspot.com>

Comment

Do you believe God is still prone to forsaking his people today?
      Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
        Yes, when a woman says that she is lying to manipulate the man's emotions. Unless she truly believes it -- in which case she is either delusional, or correct.
        Please let's not have this conversation in this thread. If you want to continue it, start another thread (like I did here).
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          Let me ask it this way. When Jesus asked, in Mark's gospel, that this cup be removed from him, did Mark think that Jesus was sincere? Or was he just kidding.
          Why would I think he wasn't sincere?
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by OingoBoingo View Post
            Agreed. There's an interesting narrative being told by the Gospel writers here, taking into consideration both Isaiah and the Psalms.

Isaiah 53:4-5
            Surely he has borne our griefs
            and carried our sorrows;
            yet we esteemed him stricken,
            smitten by God, and afflicted.
            But he was pierced for our transgressions;
            he was crushed for our iniquities;
            upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
            and with his wounds we are healed.

Isaiah 59:1-2
            Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save,
            or his ear dull, that it cannot hear;
            but your iniquities have made a separation
            between you and your God,
            and your sins have hidden his face from you
            so that he does not hear.

Psalm 22:1-5
            My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
            Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?
            O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer,
            and by night, but I find no rest.

Yet you are holy,
            enthroned on the praises of Israel.
            In you our fathers trusted;
            they trusted, and you delivered them.
            To you they cried and were rescued;
            in you they trusted and were not put to shame.

Matthew 27:46-50
            And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” And some of the bystanders, hearing it, said, “This man is calling Elijah.” And one of them at once ran and took a sponge, filled it with sour wine, and put it on a reed and gave it to him to drink. But the others said, “Wait, let us see whether Elijah will come to save him.” And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.

Luke 23:44-46
            It was now about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour, while the sun's light failed. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two. Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!” And having said this he breathed his last.

1 Peter 2:24
            He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.

It looks like the early Christian movement takes into consideration Isaiah's view of the suffering servant as one who takes on the iniquities of the world, and that the Father separates himself from sin. Yet, the Son is not left with these inequities, rather he is delivered, and glorified. Its an intriguing understanding of the view of the second person of the trinity who, in his incarnation, suffers in all ways as man suffers, yet is redeemed and glorified in the end. If Jesus simply died a physical death for the sins of the world, would that be enough? Separation from the Father, even for a short time, seems like the true sacrifice on the cross. Jesus suffered both physical and spiritual death, and so only he can claim to know what suffering is, and to have been tempted in all ways, yet to still do the will the father.
            What I don't see in your quoted scriptures is reference to the Father separating Himself from sin. I don't recall any indication in scripture that Jesus died spiritually. And the hymns and homilies of the Orthodox Church referencing His death do not reference any spiritual death. In the words of St. John Chrysostom:
            Let no one fear death, for the Savior’s death has set us free. He that was held prisoner of it has annihilated it. By descending into Hell, He made Hell captive. He embittered it when it tasted of His flesh. And Isaiah, foretelling this, did cry: Hell, said he, was embittered, when it encountered Thee in the lower regions. It was embittered, for it was abolished. It was embittered, for it was mocked. It was embittered, for it was slain. It was embittered, for it was overthrown. It was embittered, for it was fettered in chains. It took a body, and met God face to face. It took earth, and encountered Heaven. It took that which was seen, and fell upon the unseen.
            IMO, saying that Jesus died spiritually is perilously close to saying He died in his divinity, which was condemned as a heresy in the early church.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Why would I think he wasn't sincere?
              I didn't think you would. The question was about the intent of Mark's narrative. If Mark believed and portrayed Jesus as sincerely not wanting to undergo his foreseen path, being 'distressed and agitated, deeply grieved, even unto death' (14,33-34), could he not also have portrayed Jesus as praying in the midst of feeling abandoned on the cross and yet also trusting in his ultimate deliverance?

Mark's portrait also reminds me of that of the author of Hebrews, in which Jesus, 'in the days of his flesh, offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to the one who was able to save him from death', who 'learned obedience through suffering,' who was thereby 'made perfect' (Heb 5,7-9).

Should we only think of Jesus' suffering as physical, having no emotional and psychological component?
              βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
              ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                I didn't think you would. The question was about the intent of Mark's narrative. If Mark believed and portrayed Jesus as sincerely not wanting to undergo his foreseen path, being 'distressed and agitated, deeply grieved, even unto death' (14,33-34), could he not also have portrayed Jesus as praying in the midst of feeling abandoned on the cross and yet also trusting in his ultimate deliverance?

Mark's portrait also reminds me of that of the author of Hebrews, in which Jesus, 'in the days of his flesh, offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to the one who was able to save him from death', who 'learned obedience through suffering,' who was thereby 'made perfect' (Heb 5,7-9).

Should we only think of Jesus' suffering as physical, having no emotional and psychological component?
                Not at all. On the other hand, I don't think anyone who trusts in his ultimate deliverance is going to feel truly abandoned or forsaken.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Not at all. On the other hand, I don't think anyone who trusts in his ultimate deliverance is going to feel truly abandoned or forsaken.
                  I suppose we could argue about whatever difference there might be between 'feeling abandoned' and 'to feel truly abandoned', but I think that would just be splitting hairs.
                  βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                  ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X