Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Religious People Are Less Intelligent, But We Win Anyway...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    So what happened to you?
    I guess you rubbed off on me.

ba-da-bum-bum!

Comment

I once took a random IQ test on the net and just randomly selected the answers. My score was something like 140. I think my subconscious might be smarter than I am.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

There are an awful lot of intelligent yet stupid people out there.
        Okay fine, smarter and wiser.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Religion isn't rocket science. It is easy to evaluate the evidence if you bother to even try studying. Most atheists I know, don't even bother. They read popular atheist books and have the conceit that they are "too intelligent" to fall for that religious claptrap and then go on the internet and hang out on places like facebook and tweb and make a fool of themselves when they come in contact with theists who actually have studied and even went to school to learn their religion.
        But on the flip side, I'm not sure most religious people thoroughly evaluate the evidence that goes against their beliefs either. It seems to me most people are too busy with their daily lives to carefully analyze such things.
        Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
          . . . But on the flip side, I'm not sure most religious people thoroughly evaluate the evidence that goes against their beliefs either. It seems to me most people are too busy with their daily lives to carefully analyze such things.
          At least as true for unbelievers as believers. Also not at all true of most believers here.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Okay fine, smarter and wiser.

But on the flip side, I'm not sure most religious people thoroughly evaluate the evidence that goes against their beliefs either. It seems to me most people are too busy with their daily lives to carefully analyze such things.

It's not much. Most of it is "I don't see any evidence for God!" or "Evolution proves God doesn't exist" or "You guys are gullible idiots" or "What makes your God the real one?" or "the bible contradicts itself" and things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              At least as true for unbelievers as believers. Also not at all true of most believers here.
              You think a theology forum is a representative sample of believers?

It's not much. Most of it is "I don't see any evidence for God!" or "Evolution proves God doesn't exist" or "You guys are gullible idiots" or "What makes your God the real one?" or "the bible contradicts itself" and things like that.
              1, 4 and 5 are definitely valid. There's also historical issues and knowledge of psychology and how people can believe in the supernatural even when there is a natural explanation.
              Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

You think a theology forum is a representative sample of believers?
                No. That is why I specified "here."

1, 4 and 5 are definitely valid. There's also historical issues and knowledge of psychology and how people can believe in the supernatural even when there is a natural explanation.
                1, 4 and 5 what? Posts? Did I miss a link somewhere?

I was only speaking to your "But on the flip side, I'm not sure most religious people thoroughly evaluate the evidence that goes against their beliefs either. It seems to me most people are too busy with their daily lives to carefully analyze such things." And I do not think that a theology forum is a representative sample of unbelievers either.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

1, 4 and 5 what? Posts? Did I miss a link somewhere?

I was only speaking to your "But on the flip side, I'm not sure most religious people thoroughly evaluate the evidence that goes against their beliefs either. It seems to me most people are too busy with their daily lives to carefully analyze such things." And I do not think that a theology forum is a representative sample of unbelievers either.
                  I was quoting Sparko's 5 reasons nonbelievers don't believe.

Comment

That's all you need.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I was quoting Sparko's 5 reasons nonbelievers don't believe.
                      Ah so-

1 If the God of the Bible is true then I would never expect to see scientifically valid evidence. He is not a part of His creation.
                      4 Applicable to the generic existence of gods, but that is not evidence of anything, it is just a shout, much like 3.
                      5 Only true if you choose to see it that way. Not all apparent contradictions are real.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        That's all you need.
                        That is all you need if you have already made up your mind.

Comment

That is all you need if you have already made up your mind.
                          Is demanding evidence before believing something too much to ask for?
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Where is the evidence that what goes on in your mind corresponds to reality. Prove that you are not being deceived.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Demanding scientific evidence for something not subject to scientific investigation is simply ignorant.

1 If the God of the Bible is true then I would never expect to see scientifically valid evidence. He is not a part of His creation.

Comment

Demanding scientific evidence for something not subject to scientific investigation is simply ignorant.
                                Science is the systematic knowledge of the natural gained through observation and experimentation. If you wish to add a supernatural deity into the mix you need to provide evidence of a supernatural world and this you've been unable to do..

Comment