Speech about manipulating digial pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speech about manipulating digial pictures

I'm planning on giving a speech at my Toastmasters club about how digital pictures can be manipulated. Many people in my club are interested in computers especially graphic design. Suppose you had a digital picture of a person with a certain landscape in the background. Would you know how to change the person's face to a different face, change the color of the person's clothes, or change the background landscape in such a way so that it looks professional? Could you give examples of software that could do this? Is this hard to do or easy?

I suppose one could copy a picture and try to paste it on top of another picture, but that would not look professional.

I'm not going to do anything illegal or fraudulent. I thought of the topic and I thought it might be interesting.

I think this would be interesting. I think a great example would be where pictures have been digitally altered and presented as "proof" of something like actions of war. I can't find it immediately, but I remember one where Israel had fired a rocket into Gaza, and the "picture" showed multiple plumes of smoke arising from the area - but the column of smoke was cut/pasted and duplicated as numerous columns of smoke.

Or political photos where digital changes are made to overstate a point, like changing the wording on signs from "forward" to "abortion".

obama_Nat_Review-289x384.jpg

Here's a good article on altered images in journalism.

There's a whole lot of difference between 'retouching' aunt Betty's photo to minimize the wart on her cheek for her portrait, and doctoring a photo as a justification for going to war, for example.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just a quick aside....

We used to have a meeting at which each Church in a college town would have an opportunity to make, essentially, a "sales pitch" to the local college students about their own Church.

First Baptist Church was the "wealthy" church in town, and they would always provide a slideshow of their mission trips they took with college kids.

One year, I doctored a bunch of photos to show myself and several college students in various settings -- at the Kremlin, at the Wailing Wall, at the Jordan River, in India..... I purposely did it so it would be glaringly obvious that the photos were doctored - we would be standing with world leaders, or with historic backgrounds.

It was actually a big hit, and the students thought it was hilarious.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I used to do photoshopping before there was photoshop.

Could you give examples of software that could do this? Is this hard to do or easy?

I suppose one could copy a picture and try to paste it on top of another picture, but that would not look professional.
        Why are you giving a speech on something that you don't know how to do?

software I use: Adobe photoshop, Adobe illustrator, Corel Draw, Corel Photopaint.

Basically you use a tool to mask areas of a photograph, then cut areas out and put them on different layers. then you can either paint on the various layers using different tools, like airbrush tools, cloning tools, or you can take parts of other photos and combine them with other bits. Then you can feather the edges so it looks natural.

Here is how I did the theologyweb logo.

First I took a blue background, painted with a slight gradient:

1 background.jpg

The I took photos of the earth and a dove and cut them out of the background and put them on a different layer:

2earth.jpg

3dove.jpg

Then I combined the layers together and put a glow around the dove and Earth:

4earthblue.jpg

5logo.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I used to do photoshopping before there was photoshop.

Why are you giving a speech on something that you don't know how to do?

software I use: Adobe photoshop, Adobe illustrator, Corel Draw, Corel Photopaint.

Basically you use a tool to mask areas of a photograph, then cut areas out and put them on different layers. then you can either paint on the various layers using different tools, like airbrush tools, cloning tools, or you can take parts of other photos and combine them with other bits. Then you can feather the edges so it looks natural.

Here is how I did the theologyweb logo.

First I took a blue background, painted with a slight gradient:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22461[/ATTACH]

The I took photos of the earth and a dove and cut them out of the background and put them on a different layer:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22462[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22463[/ATTACH]

Then I combined the layers together and put a glow around the dove and Earth:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22464[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22465[/ATTACH]
          I wanted to learn something new and share it with others.

I'll find out the different software that you mentioned.

I like your example of making a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think this would be interesting. I think a great example would be where pictures have been digitally altered and presented as "proof" of something like actions of war. I can't find it immediately, but I remember one where Israel had fired a rocket into Gaza, and the "picture" showed multiple plumes of smoke arising from the area - but the column of smoke was cut/pasted and duplicated as numerous columns of smoke.

Or political photos where digital changes are made to overstate a point, like changing the wording on signs from "forward" to "abortion".

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22457[/ATTACH]

Here's a good article on altered images in journalism.

There's a whole lot of difference between 'retouching' aunt Betty's photo to minimize the wart on her cheek for her portrait, and doctoring a photo as a justification for going to war, for example.
            That article was great examples of photos being doctored.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
              I wanted to learn something new and share it with others.

I'll find out the different software that you mentioned.

I like your example of making a picture.
              search on Adobe.com and youtube for photoshop tutorials.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
                That article was great examples of photos being doctored.
                The first photo with the smoke was a very obvious photoshopped image. You could see the repeated patterns where he used the clone tool (very poorly) to make more smoke. The clone tool lets you copy a part of an image to a new location.

AdnanHajj.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  The first photo with the smoke was a very obvious photoshopped image. You could see the repeated patterns where he used the clone tool (very poorly) to make more smoke. The clone tool lets you copy a part of an image to a new location.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22473[/ATTACH]
                  That pic was the first one that came to mind.

Comment