Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

I took communion for the first time ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took communion for the first time ever.

Me and my grandpatents went to a local church service. It was great. Took communion. Afterword talked to the preacher and I told them about J.P. Holdings ministry, and my jouney so far. The guy even reccomended a book by Watchman Nee. Good day.
    sigpic

Now you need to get baptized, little brother!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      In time.
      sigpic

Comment

Usually baptism tends to precede communion. Of course, I'm one of those weird Lutherans, so...

I do agree with mossrose though, you should definitely get baptized if you haven't done so already.

Comment

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
            Usually baptism tends to precede communion. Of course, I'm one of those weird Lutherans, so...

I do agree with mossrose though, you should definitely get baptized if you haven't done so already.
            This Anglican agrees.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Typically baptist churches teach one should be baptized [immersed - buried with Jesus (Romans 6:4)] before one participates in the Lord's supper - communion[the remembrance of His death(1 Corinthians 11:26)]. In a typical baptist open communion service it is stated one should be a baptized [immersed] believer before partaking communion.
              Last edited by 37818; 05-21-2017, 11:21 AM.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I took communion many times before I was baptized. It was just the way it worked in my life story at that time. There was no church "thing" that said one was to come before the other in the denomination I grew up in.

I think as long as baptism is done when the person knows it's time, the Lord will not accuse that person of taking communion when he oughtn't.

After all, the Lord knows our hearts and thoughts and intentions. And communion is for ALL the saints, baptized or not.
                Last edited by mossrose; 05-21-2017, 02:33 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I took communion many times before I was baptized. It was just the way it worked in my life story that time. There was no church "thing" that said one was to come before the other in the denomination I grew up in.

I think as long as baptism is fine when the person knows it's time, the Lord will not accuse that person of taking communion when he oughtn't.

After all, the Lord knows our hearts and thoughts and intentions. And communion is for ALL the saints, baptized or not.
                  I mean, it's not like I think anyone will get damned because they had communion before getting baptized, but as a Lutheran my beliefs are what they are...

Comment

I mean, it's not like I think anyone will get damned because they had communion before getting baptized, but as a Lutheran my beliefs are what they are...
                    I wasn't pointing a finger at you, kiddo.

Comment

This Orthodox agrees.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I partook in communion before being baptized, but I wish I was baptized sooner, I waited almost a year simply because I didn't know how to ask to be baptized and no one offered until then. When I visited an Anglican church for the first time earlier this year I really liked it when they said all were welcome to receive communion if they had been baptized because I wasn't sure if they practiced open communion or not.
                        Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

As long as he doesn't take communion in the middle of being baptized.
                          ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                            Typically baptist churches teach one should be baptized [immersed - buried with Jesus (Romans 6:4)] before one participates in the Lord's supper - communion[the remembrance of His death(1 Corinthians 11:26)]. In a typical baptist open communion service it is stated one should be a baptized [immersed] believer before partaking communion.
                            I place more emphasis on "knowing you are saved" prior to communion and baptism
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              I place more emphasis on "knowing you are saved" prior to communion and baptism
                              That would be great if salvation were a point and not a process. I don't recall, e.g., that Paul required the Philippian jailer to "know he was saved" prior to baptism. It was enough that he wanted to be saved.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X