Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I took communion for the first time ever.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    Usually baptism tends to precede communion. Of course, I'm one of those weird Lutherans, so...

I do agree with mossrose though, you should definitely get baptized if you haven't done so already.
    This Orthodox agrees.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

2. Amen thewriteranon, Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I partook in communion before being baptized, but I wish I was baptized sooner, I waited almost a year simply because I didn't know how to ask to be baptized and no one offered until then. When I visited an Anglican church for the first time earlier this year I really liked it when they said all were welcome to receive communion if they had been baptized because I wasn't sure if they practiced open communion or not.
    I baptize you with water for repentance, but he who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire." Matthew 3:11

Faith
    Slave for Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    Now you need to get baptized, little brother!
    As long as he doesn't take communion in the middle of being baptized.
    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight_spam!

5. Amen KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Typically baptist churches teach one should be baptized [immersed - buried with Jesus (Romans 6:4)] before one participates in the Lord's supper - communion[the remembrance of His death(1 Corinthians 11:26)]. In a typical baptist open communion service it is stated one should be a baptized [immersed] believer before partaking communion.
    I place more emphasis on "knowing you are saved" prior to communion and baptism

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

7. Amen 37818, Jedidiah, mossrose, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I place more emphasis on "knowing you are saved" prior to communion and baptism
    That would be great if salvation were a point and not a process. I don't recall, e.g., that Paul required the Philippian jailer to "know he was saved" prior to baptism. It was enough that he wanted to be saved.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

9. Amen Chrawnus, thewriteranon, KingsGambit amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    That would be great if salvation were a point and not a process. I don't recall, e.g., that Paul required the Philippian jailer to "know he was saved" prior to baptism. It was enough that he wanted to be saved.
    That implies that baptism has a part in salvation. Which it does not.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    That implies that baptism has a part in salvation.
    How so?
    Which it does not.
    Yes and no. The thief on the cross who acknowledged Jesus as Lord wasn't baptized. On the other hand, the Lord commanded that His disciples be baptized. If one is not willing to be baptized, how can one be saved?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Typically baptist churches teach one should be baptized [immersed - buried with Jesus (Romans 6:4)] before one participates in the Lord's supper - communion[the remembrance of His death(1 Corinthians 11:26)]. In a typical baptist open communion service it is stated one should be a baptized [immersed] believer before partaking communion.
    I've been a member of several Baptist churches through the decades, all of them independent, but never knew of baptism being a prerequisite for communion. Both are encouraged, of course, and both are commanded by Scripture. I've seen churches require a few weeks of instruction before baptism, yet allowed communion during that time.

13. Amen mossrose, Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    Me and my grandpatents went to a local church service. It was great. Took communion. Afterword talked to the preacher and I told them about J.P. Holdings ministry, and my jouney so far. The guy even reccomended a book by Watchman Nee. Good day.

As others have said now you need to get baptized. Whether you do it by sprinkling or immersion isn't nearly as important as getting it done.

I'm always still in trouble again

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It was a common belief in the early church that baptism was an absolute requirement for salvation (exceptions being allowed for situations like the thief on the cross, etc.) Without actually taking a firm stance on that, I find it telling that the eunuch in Acts wanted to be baptized immediately upon conversion.
    Something is always happening, but when it happens, people don't always see it, or understand it... or accept it.