Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Manchester England, Bombing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    After ignoring the attack during their evening news broadcast ABC, what the network seemed most concerned about this morning is a possible "Anti-Islamic backlash" in Europe. On Good Morning America ABC anchor George Stephanopoulos resisted efforts to link the attack to Muslim extremists and went on several times worrying that this would "likely create backlash" and "likely to inflame anti-Islamic sentiment across Britain, across Europe."

The priorities of the leftist MSM
    Newsweek has joined in

Source: Newsweek Quickly Brushes Aside Terror Victims to Highlight Hypothetical Islamophobia Threat

The horrific terrorist attack against young concert-goers in Manchester, England. Newsweek magazine chose to highlight Conor Gaffey’s report from the city in its daily email. But in all-too-common pattern among the liberal press after an Islamic terrorist attack, Gaffey quickly changed the subject, skipping ahead of concern for the victims of Islamic terrorism straight to left-wing handwringing about hypothetical Islamophobia, even bringing Brexit into the discussion. “Muslims in Manchester Fear Reprisals as ISIS Claims Responsibility for Concert Attack.”

In a run-down back street in the Northern Quarter of Manchester, England, less than a mile from the arena where a bomb killed 22 people on Monday, is the Muslim Youth Foundation (MYF), a local mosque and community center that runs programs for young people.

Pinned to a notice board in its lobby is a simple three-paragraph message, welcoming all to pray and attend activities at the center. Below, it includes an addendum: “We do not tolerate any kind of extremism or extremist ideologies inside this center.” And then, in red type: “We urge everybody to stay within the Islamic and the U.K. laws.”

That message has become all the more apt since Monday night, when a suicide bomber detonated an improvised explosive device at the end of an Ariana Grande concert, causing mayhem among the 20,000-strong fans flooding out of the arena.

On Tuesday, the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) said a “soldier of the Khilafah [caliphate]” was responsible for the attack. The attacker, who died detonating the device, has been unofficially named as 23-year-old Salman Abedi, though police have not responded to Newsweek’s request for confirmation.

Gaffey failed to raise any inconvenient questions as to whether the local community may have played a part in Abedi's radicalization, skipping straight to pre-victimhood and speaking of an "inevitable backlash."

Many of the city’s nearly quarter-million Muslims dread the seemingly inevitable backlash against their community. Mohamed Abdul Malek, an imam and trustee of the MYF, says the aftermath of such attacks is a time marked by fear. “I think with past experience, that fear is there in our [community], especially among women,” says Malek, 61, shuffling in his leather chair in a back room in the MYF’s office.

But that radicalization comes alongside something else: a rise in anti-Muslim hate crimes, in part stoked by attacks claimed by ISIS in Brussels and Paris, as well as the aftermath of the U.K.’s vote to leave the European Union. In December 2016, the Muslim Council of Britain urged British politicians to urgently address Islamophobia in the face of growing attacks against Muslims in the U.K. Figures released in October 2016 showed that hate crimes against Muslims in London had increased 65 percent on the previous year.

Gaffey portrayed the Muslim community in Manchester as the one under attack:

At the MYF, young men shuffle past gathering journalists and file downstairs to attend the midday prayers. Malek says he will be instructing his congregation to speak out against the attack, but also to be vigilant for their own safety. “The Muslim community should clearly show its support for the victims of this act, should do whatever it can to lessen the impact of this act. But at the same time, [they] should take precautions against people who might target them for being Muslims,” he says.

“The people who were killed are our colleagues, our friends our neighbors. You cannot separate us or segregate us from the impact of such on act on the people of Manchester generally.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      I asked God to keep you drinking Pepsi until his connection is lightningbolted.
      At the very least I'll be an answer to prayer!
      First. Time. Ever.
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Newsweek has joined in

Source: Newsweek Quickly Brushes Aside Terror Victims to Highlight Hypothetical Islamophobia Threat

Many of the city’s nearly quarter-million Muslims dread the seemingly inevitable backlash against their community. Mohamed Abdul Malek, an imam and trustee of the MYF, says the aftermath of such attacks is a time marked by fear. “I think with past experience, that fear is there in our [community], especially among women,” says Malek, 61, shuffling in his leather chair in a back room in the MYF’s office.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'd like to see evidence that western men have targeted Muslim women as blowback.
        In our culture targeting women and children is shameful.

I think the imam projected his priorities onto the west.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Karima Bennoune has this advice:

“[In doing research for my recent book, “Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here: Untold Stories from the Fight Against Muslim Fundamentalism,” I interviewed nearly 300 people of Muslim heritage from almost 30 countries, and heard countless stories of ordinary people engaged in extraordinary acts of courage to fight extremism.
          Here are my ten takeaways which the members of the Security Council, including the U.S., and other nations, and even global civil society must consider as the plan to defeat ISIS - and Muslim fundamentalism generally - is formulated.

1. The international community must stand together.
          ISIS should be viewed as hostis humani generis - the enemy of all humankind. This is not a clash of civilizations, but a decisive conflict between those everywhere who believe in civilization, and those who do not. As President Obama underscored in his address to the nation on September 10th, almost all of the deliberate killings these misguided jihadists have carried out targeted ordinary Syrians and Iraqis. In the post 9/11 world, the focus has been on keeping the “homeland” safe. But we cannot prevent terrorism here while tolerating extremist violence elsewhere.

2. Our strategy must be cross-regional.
          Sadly, the brutality of ISIS is not unique, as the President suggested. Muslim fundamentalist violence stretches from West Africa to South Asia and beyond and has claimed millions of lives - mainly of Muslims. As far away as Mali and Algeria, jihadist groups fighting governments pledge allegiance to the black banner of the so-called Islamic State. The Nigerian girls kidnapped by Boko Haram - which, like ISIS, practices sexual slavery - are still missing. The global response must reflect the strategic thinking needed to help defeat all these jihadists or we will fight the same war somewhere else next year.

3. Support must be given to people of Muslim heritage who oppose extremism.
          From Afghanistan to Somalia, thousands have put their lives on the line to defy fundamentalists. They loathe those who reduce their Holy Book to a death threat, and misuse the religion as a cover for an extremist political project. President Obama said, “We stand with people who fight for their freedom.” That has not always been true, and we must fulfill his words.

4. There must be an immediate humanitarian response to the desperate needs of those affected by ISIS brutality.
          The president was correct to highlight this. 1.2 million people were displaced in Iraq by mid-August, when the UN declared its highest level emergency.
          5. We must not just battle terrorism, but fight the underlying fundamentalism.

As Cherifa Kheddar, President of Djazairouna, the Algerian Association of Victims of Islamist Terrorism, told me, “Fundamentalism makes the bed of this terrorism.” We need a worldwide coalition of people of Muslim heritage standing together against Islamist ideology. Ani Zonneveld, founder of Muslims for Progressive Values, is categorical: “ISIS’s slaughter of innocent people is a disgrace to Islam. As Muslims we need to go beyond condemnation and get to the root. We must ask ourselves, ‘How did this come about, and are we doing enough to stamp out this theology of hate?’” She is absolutely right. However, the world must also listen to the many of us who, like her, have already spoken out.

6. We have to dry up the funding sources of ISIS.
          This involves depriving ISIS of control of territory where it extorts and plunders oil. It also includes confronting allied Gulf countries like Qatar, which have filled these murderers’ coffers. Countries and individuals who are giving money and arms to ISIS should face severe sanctions.

7. Unequivocally defend women’s rights.
          The Organization of Women’s Freedom in Iraq (OWFI) has long denounced ISIS’s crimes against women, including reportedly selling them in a Mosul “concubine market.” OWFI and other Iraqi women’s rights defenders need resources to assist victims. Moreover, we must also condemn the anti-women stances of “allies” like Saudi Arabia. Gender equality is not a side issue, but a critical piece of the campaign against fundamentalism.

8. The response to ISIS must respect international law.
          All military action must comply with the laws of war, and any detentions must respect human rights. This is essential for reasons both moral and strategic. Abuses we commit become recruitment tools for the very jihadists we are fighting. The U.S. also has to grapple with the reality that its own illegal Iraq War helped create this problem, something the President neglected in his speech.

9. This is not a partisan issue.
          Some on the right think Islam is inherently fundamentalist. Some on the left downplay the grave problem posed by Muslim fundamentalism. Both approaches are entirely mistaken and should be jettisoned.

10. We must fight discrimination against Muslims everywhere.
          People of Muslim heritage are not collectively responsible for the crimes of ISIS. Stigmatizing Muslims and Islam generally is offensive, and a gift to jihadists who capitalize on the perception of grievance.
          With a holistic approach, a better outcome becomes more likely. I am inspired by the determined optimism of people on the front lines of this fight. This struggle will be difficult and costly. However, the cost of not waging it would be even greater.]”
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            No one is calling for uncontrolled backlash, but the fact that leftists are even bringing this up when the bodies of eight and ten year olds are not even cold is despicable to me.
            Remember how muslims in the US were unfairly treated right after 9/11? Its worth preventing something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              Remember how muslims in the US were unfairly treated right after 9/11? Its worth preventing something like that.
              Leonhard living through that time, and knowing families who actually lost loved ones in the Towers, I can tell you that most of those stories about Muslims being treated badly were overblown. At the time my GP and my Dentist were Muslim - they had no problems. The fact is, backlash is not the problem, Islam is.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Remember how muslims in the US were unfairly treated right after 9/11?
                No, I really don't remember that. Perhaps you have some specific examples you'd like to share?
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Leonhard living through that time, and knowing families who actually lost loved ones in the Towers, I can tell you that most of those stories about Muslims being treated badly were overblown. At the time my GP and my Dentist were Muslim - they had no problems. The fact is, backlash is not the problem, Islam is.
                  There is no doubt that there was a significant anti-Muslim backlash. Its been well documented. There's a lot of writers who recently sow doubt about that, but they simple don't have the facts on their side. I'd go so far as to say it hasn't died completely down again. We had similar issues in Denmark, where our government wanted insight as to which foreign exchange students were pursuing research or writing about nuclear physics. Something the universities simple refused to divulge. The systematic targeting of innocent Muslims for surveillance, some who simple forwarded emails about upcoming conventions on Islam is something your government has permitted a lot of. And following 9/11, you've shown no sign at all in reigning in the power you gave the NSA. There was all the nonsense about Obama being a secret Muslim, have you forgotten that? The majority of Muslims themselves report that there's been a lot more bias against them, and the evidence shows it: Hate crimes against Muslims went up after 9/11.

There was the insane anger and hatred on part of Americans regarding the building of a Muslim community center not far from ground zero. All logic and reason went out of the window in those discussions. If you want an example of pure Islamophobia, remember back to that. The US intelligence agency concluded it was a risk of radicalisation, not because of the prayer space that was to be built, but because of the anti-Muslim sentiments. That is, such things in themselves promote radicalisation, which is what some of the Muslims in Denmark working against radicalization keep warning about.

Then there's the Islamophobia that Muslims are out-breeding the Americans, and rendering the whites a minority. Something that the alt-righters tout a lot, even though just about all significant studies show nothing to the effect. Most of the population growths are still due to immigration.

Whether or not Wahhabi Islam tends to be destructive, and radicalization can take place. Which I don't dispute, and its a problem that needs to be addressed. I can't but defend an attempt to reassure the rest of the Islamic community that they're not to be antagonized. Which they shouldn't be.

I've seen plenty of denunciation on the Facebook forums I frequent. "Oh no, not another idiot taking the rest of us hostage." Someone wrote. And I know they're keeping on doing it, but its not exactly reported that much. Because in the end, sensible Muslims don't sell news. Newspapers these days rely a lot on sensational stories (perhaps they always have) and nothing sells like scandals, sex and fear.

In the light of all that, I thank God the UK media have enough sense to be hesitant regarding the nature of the attacker.

Or let me ask another question, what would a focus on Islam in general do in those articles?

Comment

There is no doubt that there was a significant anti-Muslim backlash. Its been well documented. There's a lot of writers who recently sow doubt about that, but they simple don't have the facts on their side. I'd go so far as to say it hasn't died completely down again. We had similar issues in Denmark, where our government wanted insight as to which foreign exchange students were pursuing research or writing about nuclear physics. Something the universities simple refused to divulge. The systematic targeting of innocent Muslims for surveillance, some who simple forwarded emails about upcoming conventions on Islam is something your government has permitted a lot of. And following 9/11, you've shown no sign at all in reigning in the power you gave the NSA. There was all the nonsense about Obama being a secret Muslim, have you forgotten that? The majority of Muslims themselves report that there's been a lot more bias against them, and the evidence shows it: Hate crimes against Muslims went up after 9/11.

There was the insane anger and hatred on part of Americans regarding the building of a Muslim community center not far from ground zero. All logic and reason went out of the window in those discussions. If you want an example of pure Islamophobia, remember back to that. The US intelligence agency concluded it was a risk of radicalisation, not because of the prayer space that was to be built, but because of the anti-Muslim sentiments. That is, such things in themselves promote radicalisation, which is what some of the Muslims in Denmark working against radicalization keep warning about.

Then there's the Islamophobia that Muslims are out-breeding the Americans, and rendering the whites a minority. Something that the alt-righters tout a lot, even though just about all significant studies show nothing to the effect. Most of the population growths are still due to immigration.

Whether or not Wahhabi Islam tends to be destructive, and radicalization can take place. Which I don't dispute, and its a problem that needs to be addressed. I can't but defend an attempt to reassure the rest of the Islamic community that they're not to be antagonized. Which they shouldn't be.

I've seen plenty of denunciation on the Facebook forums I frequent. "Oh no, not another idiot taking the rest of us hostage." Someone wrote. And I know they're keeping on doing it, but its not exactly reported that much. Because in the end, sensible Muslims don't sell news. Newspapers these days rely a lot on sensational stories (perhaps they always have) and nothing sells like scandals, sex and fear.

In the light of all that, I thank God the UK media have enough sense to be hesitant regarding the nature of the attacker.

Or let me ask another question, what would a focus on Islam in general do in those articles?

Leonhard, I'm not saying that there was no backlash just that some or even most were overblown. But government officials warning about backlash is nonsensical - that will not stop anyone intent on harming a Muslim. Never mind the fact that it is smuggling in the idea of moral equivalency, that what the so called innocent Muslims may experience after such an attack is somehow equal to the terrorist attack. Besides the fact that I am just sick of Islam. As many New Yorkers were with the Muslim community center built so close to ground zero - and I have no problem with that. You don't see that as a slap in the face - they did.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

There is no doubt that there was a significant anti-Muslim backlash. Its been well documented.
                      Even CAIR, which is well-known for grossly exaggerating the number of "anti-Muslim hate crimes" that take place, says there were all of 42 incidents in the year following 9/11. According to the FBI there were only 28 in 2000.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Even CAIR, which is well-known for grossly exaggerating the number of "anti-Muslim hate crimes" that take place, says there were all of 42 incidents in the year following 9/11. According to the FBI there were only 28 in 2000.
                        Given that six million people were left standing in the rubble of the WTC - the restraint was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                          Oh Boy! Islamic Paradise sounds like just another day in Las Vegas!
                          It really does. Perpetual orgies and sex. Makes you wonder why the muslims are so set against such things in this life and condemn westerners for debauchery when their goal is to have all that and more after they die?

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                            I'd like to see evidence that western men have targeted Muslim women as blowback.
                            In our culture targeting women and children is shameful.

I think the imam projected his priorities onto the west.
                            Attacking women makes good tactical sense. Assuming it wasn't just sexual frustration, the Manchester bomber killed off not just a bunch of little girls but also any kids they might have had. Because sperm is cheap and abundant it's usually the women who act as the bottleneck of fertility, and that already narrow Anglo bottleneck got a little narrower.
                            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

God please stop this so-called "religion of peace"
                              If there's an omnipotent god, he could have prevented it from starting in the first place. Just sayin'.

The fact is, backlash is not the problem, Islam is.
                              What's the solution?
                              Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                                If there's an omnipotent god, he could have prevented it from starting in the first place. Just sayin'.
                                Yeah but then where does he stop? If he starts preventing sin, we have no free will. Or it means he has to destroy everyone alive.

What's the solution?
                                Jesus and the gospel.

Comment