Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lt. Richard Collins III; murdered by Alt-Right terrorist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
    You insistence that the "alt-right" isn't a thing is irrational. It's a collective name for the far-right fringe of the conservative movement that focuses on racial politics to the extent of other causes.
    It has nothing to do with "the conservative movement", but your attempts to link it to traditional conservatism are noted.

Next you're going to be telling us that Neo Nazis and the KKK are a branch of the Republican party.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Keep messing around? Who drove planes into the World Trade Center?
      Saudi Arabians.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        It has nothing to do with "the conservative movement", but your attempts to link it to traditional conservatism are noted.

Do you understand plain English? What part of "far-right fringe" don't you get? If I wanted to tar all Conservatives, I wouldn't have added the qualifier. To say that they are "fringe" is to say that they are outside the mainstream of the conservative movement. In fact, there are fringe elements of almost all movements. To assert that I am lumping them all together is intellectually dishonest.

As far as your insipid KKK/Neo-Nazi smear, stop telling me what I think. It makes you sound foolish.

fwiw,
        guacamole
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

The point is to discuss whether or not the alt-right shares some commonalities with terrorist movements. So far it looks like:

1. On line radicalization (the killer in this case was a part of some "Alt-Reich" Facebook page).
          2. Which leads to a lone wolf attack.
          3. We have on-line ideologues, not dissimilar to the kinds of recruitment and preaching efforts of Imams trying to foment more attacks.

Given that terrorism can be a loose grouping, is there any good reason, other than body-count, not to call these terrorist attacks?

fwiw,
          guacamole
          Interesting. I think it is Rush Limbaugh who has been pushing the idea of late that the far left and ISIS are very similar.

I guess calling your opponent Hitler is so 2016.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Saudi Arabians.
            Right Muslims...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Do you understand plain English? What part of "far-right fringe" don't you get?
              It's like saying that Westboro Baptist Church is "on the fringe" of Christianity when most conservative Christians don't even recognize them as being on the same team.

Stop trying to lump the "alt-right", whatever it is, with the conservative movement and just call them what they are: a bunch of racist morons.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Right Muslims...
                I'm going to guess that Roy's point is that we just signed a $110 billion dollar arms deal with the people who blew up the World Trade Center.
                Meanwhile, we have sanctions against Iran.

Does any of this strike you as odd?
                Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Interesting. I think it is Rush Limbaugh who has been pushing the idea of late that the far left and ISIS are very similar.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with Limbaugh on that. The far left and the far right both have demonstrated a willingness to engage in violence for political ends. You can add onto that any number of far right/left/nationalist political movements around the world:

The FARC.
                  The Tamil Tigers.
                  Protestants and Unionists in N.I..

The thing is, in those cases we call a spade a spade--they are terrorists. Why isn't the MSM calling the likes of Dylan Roof a terrorist? Why not this guy? (okay, so he was drunk and we can blame it on the drink )

fwiw,
                  guacamole
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

Liberals have been quick to defend Islam and downplay its more "radical" elements, so Rush has a point.

I don't see any conservatives defending the actions of the "alt-right" (whatever that is), so there's no parallel here.

Comment

It's like saying that Westboro Baptist Church is "on the fringe" of Christianity when most conservative Christians don't even recognize them as being on the same team.
                      Nope. Claim your crazies. The Westboro Baptist Church is on the fringe of Christianity. To say that they aren't Christian is disingenuous. I am not lessened by my association with Christ because they claim the same. They are Christians; they're just wrong.

Stop trying to lump the "alt-right", whatever it is, with the conservative movement and just call them what they are: a bunch of racist morons.
                      Well, on that point, we at least agree that they are racist morons, if nothing else.

fwiw,
                      guacamole
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Nope. Claim your crazies. The Westboro Baptist Church is on the fringe of Christianity. To say that they aren't Christian is disingenuous.
                        "On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’" (Matthew 7:22-23)

Comment

Nope. Claim your crazies. The Westboro Baptist Church is on the fringe of Christianity. To say that they aren't Christian is disingenuous.
                          I think a better course would be to repudiate your crazies in no uncertain terms. This is what Christians have been doing for quite awhile now. OTOH Muslims either tolerate theirs or fully embrace them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’" (Matthew 7:22-23)
                            Mountain Man for the WIN! I absolutely agree with you--I'm not working on a spiritual-reality level here when I make the demarcation, as that's pretty impossible for me tell at this distance from their lives. I speaking on a more general taxonomic level of a person who, at least outwardly, adhere's to the orthodox demarcations of Christianity. AFAIK, Westboro is orthodox.

fwiw,
                            guacamole
                            Save me, save me"

Comment

Nope. Claim your crazies. The Westboro Baptist Church is on the fringe of Christianity. To say that they aren't Christian is disingenuous. I am not lessened by my association with Christ because they claim the same. They are Christians; they're just wrong.
                              Right so you agree that men can be Christians and not always follow the teachings and example of Christ.
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I think a better course would be to repudiate your crazies in no uncertain terms. This is what Christians have been doing for quite awhile now. OTOH Muslims either tolerate theirs or fully embrace them.
                                Alright, good point. Repudiate your crazies. Do you think that Westboro are actually Christians? I feel like I can repudiate their "tactics" (because I'm not sure about their statement of faith and everything they believe) while still acknowledging that they are Christians.

I agree that Islam has a problem with its extremists.

fwiw,
                                guacamole
                                Save me, save me"

Comment