Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The 'best' arguments for atheism and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best argument for atheism, "I hate the cold!"

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      .First off, I do know God. And for that reason I cannot be an atheist.
      You think you know God whereas I think you’re delusional.

And even though God is in fact self evident, without Christ no one can know God.
      The natural universe is “self-evident” whereas there is no evidence of a supernatural universe. And what does the hypothetical notion of Christ have to do with anything?

What logical argument can you make to show there is no God?
      What logical argument can you make to show there is?

The mere denial that the Uncaused Existence is God is nothing more than just a denial.
      The natural universe needs no more “cause” that your hypothesised deity does, but we know the former exists whereas we don’t know that the latter does.

Here is something I do not believe you can do> Give the genuine explanation of the gospel of grace - correctly. Here is why: If you could you would become a believer.
      Why would I have any interest in explaining an infantile belief system and why would I accept your authority as an arbiter?
      Last edited by Tassman; 11-29-2017, 11:28 PM.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Best argument for atheism, "I hate the cold!"
        Best argument for Christian theism, the boogeymen will punish me forever if I'm naughty.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Best argument for Christian theism, the boogeymen will punish me forever if I'm naughty.
          the boogeyman will be much too worried about his own hide.

Comment

My argument is not refuted.
            It’s not supported either. It’s not an argument then.

But mere denial is does not refute that God's primary fundamental identity is the Self-Existent, the Who Is, which I have referred to as the Uncaused Existence, which He is.
            Denying what and who God is does not make it so.

I do not care if you don't.
            What matters is knowing God. What and who He is.

And not knowing God is the Uncaused Existence does not change who He is. The only why anyone can know Him is through His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Atheism can not refute God, but only deny.
            Still barking up the wrong tree.

What I’m not saying is:

- If God exists He is not uncaused existence / self-existent

- If God is not uncaused existence He still is God

- God is not God

- The argument from uncaused existence disproves God

So stop arguing as if I’ve said any of these, unless you can show how they follow from the following.

What I do say is

- If God exists He is uncaused existence

- If uncaused existence exists it need not be God, unless (and this your burden) you can show that uncaused existence has all defining qualities that God has, and not just being uncaused existence

- Being/having uncaused existence alone does not make an entity God.

- If the uncaused existence is not God, then God does not exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by crepuscule View Post

- If uncaused existence exists it need not be God, unless (and this your burden) you can show that uncaused existence has all defining qualities that God has, and not just being uncaused existence
              What attribute attributed to God cannot possibly be attributed to the self Existent Uncaused Existence?
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                You think you know God whereas I think you’re delusional.
                What definitive argument or evidence do you have by which you can know that the self Existent Uncaused Existence cannot possibly be God? Otherwise what you think of my knowing God is nothing more than an ad hominem on your part.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• I'm not sure this works...

Originally posted by crepuscule View Post
                  If God exists He is uncaused existence
                  I think we could grant this, though it really depends on which definition of "god" is being used. But this certainly fits the conventional Christian definition.

If uncaused existence exists it need not be God, unless (and this your burden) you can show that uncaused existence has all defining qualities that God has, and not just being uncaused existence.
                  I also agree with this...

Being/having uncaused existence alone does not make an entity God.
                  It's not clear to me this is substantively different than the previous statement.

If the uncaused existence is not God, then God does not exist.
                  I'm not sure how this necessary follows, OR that it shows there is no god. Are you implying there is necessarily only one uncaused existence? If so, I don't see how that flows from the previous statements. Am I missing something?
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Is space not a thing? Why or why not? God is not space, yet the Apostle Paul said, ". . . For in Him we live, and move, and have our being, . . ."
                    Setting aside the religious theme at the end (about which I have no comment as it lies outside my belief system), the first question interests me. I do not know what you mean by "thing." My understanding of both space and time is that they are relationships. Time is the relationship between event, and space the relationship between instances of matter and/or energy. They are not "things" in the same way that a "table" is a thing, but they "exist" as relational dimensions.

Of course, my physics is a coupke decades old, so I may not be up to speed on the latest/greatest...
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      Best argument for atheism, "I hate the cold!"
                      Best argument for Christianity, "I hate and fear extreme heat."
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                        Setting aside the religious theme at the end (about which I have no comment as it lies outside my belief system), the first question interests me. I do not know what you mean by "thing." My understanding of both space and time is that they are relationships. Time is the relationship between event, and space the relationship between instances of matter and/or energy. They are not "things" in the same way that a "table" is a thing, but they "exist" as relational dimensions.

Of course, my physics is a coupke decades old, so I may not be up to speed on the latest/greatest...
                        Space and time and matter(rest mass) and energy(electromagnetic) are interrelated. They can be considered things. Those things, as such, I would not regard as God. We see and measure space by the objects in space. Distance, time, mass and energy while interrelated are relative.

Traditional physics, as I understand it, their equations generally treat time as absolute. Making corrections based on gravity and relative motions. Rates of time being relative.

Now I think I did not say anything you did not already have some kind of understanding of.

As for God, He is regarded as omnipresent. So in that regard, there would not be anything not in God's presence.
                        I am of the view that God is the uncaused reality in which all other things have their existence. That God is knowable and the God of the Bible are other issues about God.
                        Last edited by 37818; 12-09-2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Space and time and matter(rest mass) and energy(electromagnetic) are interrelated. They can be considered things. Those things, as such, I would not regard as God. We see and measure space by the objects in space. Distance, time, mass and energy while interrelated are relative.

Traditional physics, as I understand it, their equations generally treat time as absolute. Making corrections based on gravity and relative motions. Rates of time being relative.

Now I think I did not say anything you did not already have some kind of understanding of.

As for God, He is regarded as omnipresent. So in that regard, there would not be anything not in God's presence.
                          I am of the view that God is the uncaused reality in which all other things have their existence. That God is knowable and the God of the Bible are other issues about God.
                          And are you also of the view that the uncaused reality created the material world from nothing, by speaking it into existence?

Comment

Yes - but I think you err in considering time a "constant." Relativity tells us that mass can warp both space AND time, rendering them less than "absolute" in their measurement.

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                            I am aware of your beliefs, 37818. I once shared them (or at least an approximation of them). I was mostly interested in the observation about space (and, as it turns out, time) as "things." I am fairly sure we won't see eye to eye on the god issue, but if you want to discuss, I am willing.

Comment

Yes - but I think you err in considering time a "constant." Relativity tells us that mass can warp both space AND time, rendering them less than "absolute" in their measurement.
                              You missed this:
                              . . . Making corrections based on gravity and relative motions. Rates of time being relative.
                              So your objection is already covered.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I do not believe time is a constant. In Newtonian physics time is treated as an absolute. But we know it is not. Ek = mv2 / 2. Where v = distance / time. Time is treated as an absolute, as if time is the same rate everywhere.

I am aware of your beliefs, 37818. I once shared them (or at least an approximation of them). I was mostly interested in the observation about space (and, as it turns out, time) as "things." I am fairly sure we won't see eye to eye on the god issue, but if you want to discuss, I am willing.
                                Disagreement is always a matter of a different understanding. What is important about disagreements is being able to at the very least understand and agree on, is to the why of a disagreement.

Comment