Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The 'best' arguments for atheism and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Okay, since I do not understand what you are saying here I am not able to respond. Can you state this in another way?
    Originally posted by Sparko
    me either. and it sounds like a mere assertion. Why can't a necessary entity alone willfully cause a contingent thing?
    Basically because an entity that causes something contingent can not be exactly the same as an entity that does not cause something, else either both would cause or neither would.

Therefore an entity that causes something contingent exists in some world(s), (namely a world where that contingent thing is caused) but not in another world(s), (e.g. a world where that contingent does not exist). That causing entity is then itself, by definition, contingent.

Comment

• Originally posted by crepuscule View Post
      Basically because an entity that causes something contingent can not be exactly the same as an entity that does not cause something, else either both would cause or neither would.

Therefore an entity that causes something contingent exists in some world(s), (namely a world where that contingent thing is caused) but not in another world(s), (e.g. a world where that contingent does not exist). That causing entity is then itself, by definition, contingent.
      You still are not making sense. Give us an example or something.

Are are saying that God, if he is a necessary being, can't create man who is contingent on God creating him? If so, why not?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        You still are not making sense. Give us an example or something.

Are are saying that God, if he is a necessary being, can't create man who is contingent on God creating him? If so, why not?
        Not contingent on God. I already said that with contingent I meant “exists in at least one possible world, but does not exist in at least one other”. That is afaik not the same as “dependent on”.

But apart from that, yes, I think that’s an example of what I mean. Look at it this way: if God could have chosen not to create us, then a world is possible in which His will to create us is absent. But if God’s will to create us exists in one possible world and not in another, then that will is –by definition- contingent.

Comment

• Makes no sense to me yet.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            Makes no sense to me yet.
            Oh good - I was afraid it might be just me.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Not contingent on God. I already said that with contingent I meant “exists in at least one possible world, but does not exist in at least one other”. That is afaik not the same as “dependent on”.

But apart from that, yes, I think that’s an example of what I mean. Look at it this way: if God could have chosen not to create us, then a world is possible in which His will to create us is absent. But if God’s will to create us exists in one possible world and not in another, then that will is –by definition- contingent.
              huh?

In order to be "the best argument for atheism" your idea has to at least make sense. So far it doesn't

God being able to make decisions doesn't make him contingent. His decision to make or not make people doesn't affect his existence. He can't create a world in which he doesn't exist.

Comment

huh?

In order to be "the best argument for atheism" your idea has to at least make sense. So far it doesn't

God being able to make decisions doesn't make him contingent. His decision to make or not make people doesn't affect his existence. He can't create a world in which he doesn't exist.
                Misrepresentation: I didn’t say God as a being is contingent, let alone that “He can create a world in which He doesn't exist”; I said God choosing to cause the universe is contingent; i.e. His will/wish to create is contingent. From a theistic perspective, the God choosing not to create the universe doesn’t exist but He could have existed, right? And if He did exist, the God choosing to create would not exist, would He?

His decision to make or not make people doesn't affect his existence.
                It doesn't? God's decision to create people doesn't affect the existence of God deciding not to create people? They both exist? Or are they the same?

Comment

Misrepresentation: I didn’t say God as a being is contingent, let alone that “He can create a world in which He doesn't exist”; I said God choosing to cause the universe is contingent; i.e. His will/wish to create is contingent. From a theistic perspective, the God choosing not to create the universe doesn’t exist but He could have existed, right? And if He did exist, the God choosing to create would not exist, would He?
                  Yeah that is not what contingent means. Whether God created or did not create the universe, he is the same God. If I choose to eat bacon or a bagel doesn't make me exist or not exist. I am still the same person who made a different decision. It has nothing to do with contingency. What I ate might be contingent on what I decide, but my will is not "contingent" on what I ate. Nor am I contingent on what I decided. In fact it seems like you are coming at contingency completely backwards.

It doesn't? God's decision to create people doesn't affect the existence of God deciding not to create people? They both exist? Or are they the same?
                  God exists whether he decided to make the universe or not make it. The God not creating the universe is not a different being than the God creating the universe. The Sparko who decided to eat bacon is not a different Sparko than the one who decided to eat a bagel.

Comment

Pretty twisted it seems to me.
                    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                      The stretches that some of you would go to in order to maintain your skepticism is fascinating. "Definitely can't be divine intervention. Must be lizard people."
                      That is not my argument, but if it were, I fail to see how would be any worse than "We don't know how it could have happened. Must have been God."

Comment

Yeah that is not what contingent means.
                        Actually contingent is defined in a number of different ways, and I made it clear from start what I meant with it. You don’t get to define the terms of my argument.

Whether God created or did not create the universe, he is the same God.
                        Wrong. God willing the creation of the universe is not the same as God not willing the creation of the universe: His will, desire, and decisions are different.

If I choose to eat bacon or a bagel doesn't make me exist or not exist. I am still the same person who made a different decision. It has nothing to do with contingency. What I ate might be contingent on what I decide, but my will is not "contingent" on what I ate. Nor am I contingent on what I decided. In fact it seems like you are coming at contingency completely backwards.
                        No you are. I clearly defined contingent the way I did.

God exists whether he decided to make the universe or not make it. The God not creating the universe is not a different being than the God creating the universe. The Sparko who decided to eat bacon is not a different Sparko than the one who decided to eat a bagel.
                        Yes he is. For one their decisions are different. Are you really saying here that if someone returned a dropped wallet to its owner he is the exact same person as if he’d decided to keep that wallet? Why praise one and condemn the other?

Comment

Actually contingent is defined in a number of different ways, and I made it clear from start what I meant with it. You don’t get to define the terms of my argument.

Wrong. God willing the creation of the universe is not the same as God not willing the creation of the universe: His will, desire, and decisions are different.

No you are. I clearly defined contingent the way I did.

Yes he is. For one their decisions are different. Are you really saying here that if someone returned a dropped wallet to its owner he is the exact same person as if he’d decided to keep that wallet? Why praise one and condemn the other?
                          you can define contingent to mean an ice cream cone but that doesn't make it so. Nor does it make your argument cogent or valid. As you can see nobody understands your argument nor agrees with it, so it is hardly the "best argument for atheism"

Comment

wrong. If gods were proven not to exist, I would stop believing in them.

You seem to be the only one who is stubbornly stuck in your beliefs and will not change no matter what the evidence. A true Fundy. Congrats, you are what you hate.
                            Really. And what would it take, what evidence would you accept as proof that gods don't exist?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                              That is not my argument, but if it were, I fail to see how would be any worse than "We don't know how it could have happened. Must have been God."
                              That's not our argument, either - more like, "In all of human history, we have no recordings of this happening naturally. After prayer to God, it happened. Must have been God."
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                That's not our argument, either - more like, "In all of human history, we have no recordings of this happening naturally. After prayer to God, it happened. Must have been God."
                                If I were to witness it happening and still rejected that argument, I wouldn't blame you for thinking I was just being pigheaded. Even so, that is irrelevant to whether, given the evidence I actually have witnessed, my current skepticism about miracles is justified.

Comment