Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The 'best' arguments for atheism and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crepuscule View Post
    Whoah, I'm clumsy at incorporating links. But it's #20 on page 2.
    The easiest way to link to a specific post, short of "Reply with Quote," is probably to right-click the post number in the upper-right and select "Copy Link Address." Then you use the Link function in the Quick Reply box. Like this.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Comprehensive? Hallquist? He finds a few nits to pick, par for the course with him AFAICT. Keener doesn't have the space to do in-depth investigations, even considering he had two volumes to work with; that's what the footnoted sources (and there are many) are for.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        I also have read the book, and do not 'dismiss all the claims in the book out of hand,' but unfortunately the evidence(?) presented in the book does not present sufficient objective predictable evidence for the belief in miraculous causes.
        Perhaps, but we are familiar here with your notoriously poor reading ability. You're not lending any credibility here.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
          If I were to witness someone regrowing a severed limb, I would believe that that person had regrown a severed limb. Then we could discuss whether it could have happened naturally or must have had a supernatural cause.
          While there are certainly still mysteries of the mammalian body to be plumbed, I'm fairly certain that we'd know by now if regrowing a severed limb could happen naturally. I appreciate Charles' naturalism of the gaps.
          sigpic

Comment

Whoah, I'm clumsy at incorporating links. But it's #20 on page 2.
            Not all that much help. How many posts do you have per page?

Is this it?
            I think the best argument for atheism is a metaphysical one: a necessary entity alone cannot wilfully cause a contingent thing.

(Necessary: must exist in all possible worlds. Contingent: at least one world is possible (not just imaginable) in which it exists, and at least one world possible in which it doesn't exist)
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              While there are certainly still mysteries of the mammalian body to be plumbed, I'm fairly certain that we'd know by now if regrowing a severed limb could happen naturally. I appreciate Charles' naturalism of the gaps.
              There is no medically nor scientifically verified re-growth of a human limb.

Comment

While there are certainly still mysteries of the mammalian body to be plumbed, I'm fairly certain that we'd know by now if regrowing a severed limb could happen naturally.
                I'm old enough to remember when many people believed there was no natural way for human beings to go to the moon.

One thing we do know about the mammalian body is that the DNA coding necessary for regeneration of a severed limb is present in every cell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                  Not all that much help. How many posts do you have per page?

Is this it?
                  I think the best argument for atheism is a metaphysical one: a necessary entity alone cannot wilfully cause a contingent thing.

(Necessary: must exist in all possible worlds. Contingent: at least one world is possible (not just imaginable) in which it exists, and at least one world possible in which it doesn't exist)
                  Yes. Isn't that -when you view the page- marked #20 on the far right of the blue bar that begins with date & time?

Comment

Comprehensive? Hallquist? He finds a few nits to pick, par for the course with him AFAICT. Keener doesn't have the space to do in-depth investigations, even considering he had two volumes to work with; that's what the footnoted sources (and there are many) are for.
                    Hallquist's review is just one of several reviews of Keener's two volumes on 'miracles' that I've read. But, your criticism of others still does not address that fact that there's no incontrovertible evidence of limbs miraculously regrowing. AFAIK there isn't any, other than hearsay evidence.

Comment

Yes. Isn't that -when you view the page- marked #20 on the far right of the blue bar that begins with date & time?
                      On mine it is #20 on the first page. No matter we now have it. I will see what I make of it tomorrow (or later) it is time for me to go to bed.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Perhaps, but we are familiar here with your notoriously poor reading ability. You're not lending any credibility here.
                        You provide no substantive evidence to support your claim of the miraculous regrowth of limbs, merely cast doubt on the credibility of others when they argue that such a claim is unsupported as if, magically, you then become right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                          I'm old enough to remember when many people believed there was no natural way for human beings to go to the moon.

One thing we do know about the mammalian body is that the DNA coding necessary for regeneration of a severed limb is present in every cell.
                          The stretches that some of you would go to in order to maintain your skepticism is fascinating. "Definitely can't be divine intervention. Must be lizard people."

Comment

Okay, since I do not understand what you are saying here I am not able to respond. Can you state this in another way?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              Okay, since I do not understand what you are saying here I am not able to respond. Can you state this in another way?
                              me either. and it sounds like a mere assertion. Why can't a necessary entity alone willfully cause a contingent thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                The stretches that some of you would go to in order to maintain your skepticism is fascinating. "Definitely can't be divine intervention. Must be lizard people."
                                Oh spare me.

You forget that there's no substance evidence of limbs ever regrowing. So whether or not such an event would be natural or the result of divine intervention is purely academic.

Comment