Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The 'best' arguments for atheism and Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Tyre was indeed rebuilt several times. Your photos document that by far most of the island of Tyre remains above water. The only parts of the Island of Tyre that are now under water are along parts pf the coast on the east side and low small Island of Hercules on the south. How do they know where the ancient city of Tyre is in the main island? Archaeology, which shows the major part of the ancient city and the Temple on the Island of Tyre which I referenced.
    I do not think you understand. The land bridge from the coast was built over the ruble of the city of Tyre. Placing the not rebuilt city north of the modern city of Tyre.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      I do not think you understand. The land bridge from the coast was built over the ruble of the city of Tyre. Placing the not rebuilt city north of the modern city of Tyre.
      No, the land bridge was initially constructed by Alexander in the siege of Tyre. Your silly youtube video does not match the known archaeology of Tyre.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

No, the land bridge was initially constructed by Alexander in the siege of Tyre. Your silly youtube video does not match the known archaeology of Tyre. The entire city has been rebuilt several times, and the original city of Tyre has been determined by archaeology, and except for the lowland of the southern Island of Hercules, the main island of Tyre is not under water.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

No, the land bridge was initially constructed by Alexander in the siege of Tyre. Your silly youtube video does not match the known archaeology of Tyre.
          That video says that Alexander was the one who had the land bridge constructed using material of the abandoned Tyre. So specifically what was not true?
          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

That video says that Alexander was the one who had the land bridge constructed using material of the abandoned Tyre. So specifically what was not true?
            Eh? Alexander built a land bridge to attack a city that was still standing across the ruins of that same city?
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
              Well, I still wonder how they know the ruins are there if they remain buried.
              Your ignorance is not an argument.
              I believe it does, "until recently, the ruins of Tyre above water were few" implies a substantial part of Tyre is underwater.
              You persist in quote-mining even after exposed. Jidejian does not say that most of the ruins are underwater, she says the ruins have been removed for use elsewhere.
              And you ignored the map I posted, showing a substantial extent to the north.
              Because it's a sketch produced today, not a map from historical times.
              It could have, or maybe the quarrying was of Roman ruins, etc.
              Let's see what your quote above said:

"How was the ancient metropolis of Phoenicia so utterly demolished? Devastated by drawn-out sieges and earthquakes throughout her long history, Tyre from the 18th century onward has served as a ‘quarry’ for the whole coast."

Jidejian was not talking about Roman ruins. You are quote-mining again.
              Last edited by Roy; 02-04-2018, 04:57 AM.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Lee claims Ezekiel's prophecied about the island portion of Tyre, and 37818's apologetic claims Ezekiel's prophecied about the mainland portion of Tyre - and both claim the prophecy was fulfilled, while conceding that the alternative reading was not. Quintessential apologetics.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Lee claims Ezekiel's prophecied about the island portion of Tyre, and 37818's apologetic claims Ezekiel's prophecied about the mainland portion of Tyre - and both claim the prophecy was fulfilled, while conceding that the alternative reading was not. Quintessential apologetics.
                  Well, address specifics. What in what Lee argued about the island in the prophecy that is not true? Quote that part of the prophecy Lee used regarding that island.

What is not true in the explanation that I cited?

What is the alternative reading you are referring?

There are two main ways of misreading a text. 1) A denial. 2) Reading into the text.
                  Last edited by 37818; 02-04-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                    Eh? Alexander built a land bridge to attack a city that was still standing across the ruins of that same city?
                    Attacked the same people. The cite of the city in the prophecy to be built no more was abandoned when the people of Tyre escaped to the island. So explain what is not true in this regarding the prophecy.

Comment

Specifically the land bridge was built by Alexander was built during the siege of Tyre. Over the years the Isle of Tyre was added to particularly expanding the land bridge from different sources. Coastal sediment trapped by the initial land bridge also expanded the land bridge.

Frank

Comment

Specifically the land bridge was built by Alexander was built during the siege of Tyre. Over the years the Isle of Tyre was added to particularly expanding the land bridge from different sources. Coastal sediment trapped by the initial land bridge also expanded the land bridge.
                        So? The location of Tyre when the prophecy was given is now as prophesied.

Comment

So? The location of Tyre when the prophecy was given is now as prophesied.
                          No, the main part of the city was continuously occupied and rebuilt, and occupied continuously like many if not all cities in the Middle East over the millennia.

The main city of Tyre has never been under water. The only part of the city underwater today is the small Island of Hercules on the south end of the Island of Tyre.

Virtually all the port cities of the Mediterranean have been conquered, destroyed, rebuilt again and again, some areas underwater due to rising sea levels due to global warming. Tyre is not remotely considered to unique or different, because of prophecy or any other reasoning.
                          Last edited by shunyadragon; 02-04-2018, 11:40 AM.

Frank

Comment

• tyre24.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                              You persist in quote-mining even after exposed. Jidejian does not say that most of the ruins are underwater, she says the ruins have been removed for use elsewhere.
                              Actually she also says "until recently, the ruins of Tyre above water were few".

"How was the ancient metropolis of Phoenicia so utterly demolished? Devastated by drawn-out sieges and earthquakes throughout her long history, Tyre from the 18th century onward has served as a ‘quarry’ for the whole coast."

Jidejian was not talking about Roman ruins. You are quote-mining again.
                              Are you implying that the ruins underwater were after the 18th century? So they could be quarried?

Blessings,
                              Lee
                              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

• image.jpeg
                                map_tyre.gif

Now Tyre BTW is in the New Testament, ". . . we left it on the left hand, and sailed into Syria, and landed at Tyre: . . . And when we had finished our course from Tyre, we came to Ptolemais, and saluted the brethren, . . ." -- Acts 21:3, . . .7.

Comment