Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Burrito ladies forced to close because of "cultural appropriation"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrito ladies forced to close because of "cultural appropriation"

Portland burrito shop forced to close amid accusations of cultural appropriation, stealing recipes

Just one week after Kooks Burritos in Portland, Ore., was featured in a profile for local publication Willamette Week, the pop-up Mexican food cart has closed down amid accusations that they ripped off their recipes.

Kali Wilgus and Liz “LC” Connelly, the two white women who started Kooks earlier this year, have been accused of stealing their techniques from the “tortilla ladies” of Puerto Nuevo, Mexico — because Connelly told Willamette Week that they gathered their recipes and tortilla-making processes during a holiday road-trip to the Baja California village.

"I picked the brains of every tortilla lady there in the worst broken Spanish ever, and they showed me a little of what they did," she told the site. "They told us the basic ingredients, and we saw them moving and stretching the dough similar to how pizza makers do before rolling it out with rolling pins.”

n the profile, which first ran May 16, Connelly also claimed that, when the Mexican cooks wouldn’t give up their trade secrets, she and Wilgus “were peeking into the windows of every kitchen, totally fascinated by how easy they made it look.”

Connelly then said she used a trial-and-error process to recreate a tortilla with the same flavor and texture after returning to Portland. She and Wilgus then opened their weekend pop-up inside a taco truck on SE Cesar Estrada Chavez Boulevard, and began serving their Mexican-style tortillas filled with California-inspired ingredients.

Though the eatery had been open for several months, the owners of Kooks were only recently accused of cultural appropriation by The Portland Mercury and Mic.com based on Connelly’s revelations.

"Because of Portland’s underlying racism, the people who rightly own these traditions and cultures that exist are already treated poorly," The Portland Mercury said, calling the closure of Kooks a "victory."

The article continues,"These appropriating businesses are erasing and exploiting their already marginalized identities for the purpose of profit and praise."

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...g-recipes.html

============

So basically they are accused of "stealing recipes" - recipes which apparently every tortilla lady in Puerto Nuevo knows so they are not proprietary. It would be like someone stealing a recipe for fried chicken from Alabama. And because they are white, it is "cultural appropriation"

I suppose we better shut down all those Pizza parlors in the USA who are not owned by authentic Italians.

This is another case of self punishment.
    The cities that act this way will have to go without good food.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

*TRIGGER WARNING: white poster using the word "burrito"*

The only way to promote tolerance and harmony among the races is to screech loudly anytime a white person sells a burrito, obviously.
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

So when does Taco Bell get run out of the country?

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
            This is another case of self punishment.
            The cities that act this way will have to go without good food.
            Portland apparently keeps track of these evil white oppressors. They have shame list of White-owned Appropriative restaurants.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...2Ie8/htmlview# (click on the restaurant list tab)

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              *TRIGGER WARNING: white poster using the word "burrito"*

The only way to promote tolerance and harmony among the races is to screech loudly anytime a white person sells a burrito, obviously.
              Did you just assume my race?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Did you just assume my race?
                No, the trigger warning was referring to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  No, the trigger warning was referring to me.
                  BUT, since you mention it: you are a pirate, and pirates rape, pillage and steal...so yeah. Case closed, white man.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    I think we should complain about all those Mexican and Japanese people eating McDonald's and KFC.

el-maco-2.jpg
                    JAPAN-KFC-8.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      They don't have anything whatsoever to do with foreign food.
                      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Portland apparently keeps track of these evil white oppressors. They have shame list of White-owned Appropriative restaurants.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...2Ie8/htmlview# (click on the restaurant list tab)

If we lived there my wife and I would use that as a 'must dine' list and hit at least one of those restaurants every Saturday.

Comment

If we lived there my wife and I would use that as a 'must dine' list and hit at least one of those restaurants every Saturday.
                          How thoughtful of them, to put together such a handy list of restaurants.

Comment

Portland burrito shop forced to close amid accusations of cultural appropriation, stealing recipes

Just one week after Kooks Burritos in Portland, Ore., was featured in a profile for local publication Willamette Week, the pop-up Mexican food cart has closed down amid accusations that they ripped off their recipes.

Kali Wilgus and Liz “LC” Connelly, the two white women who started Kooks earlier this year, have been accused of stealing their techniques from the “tortilla ladies” of Puerto Nuevo, Mexico — because Connelly told Willamette Week that they gathered their recipes and tortilla-making processes during a holiday road-trip to the Baja California village.

"I picked the brains of every tortilla lady there in the worst broken Spanish ever, and they showed me a little of what they did," she told the site. "They told us the basic ingredients, and we saw them moving and stretching the dough similar to how pizza makers do before rolling it out with rolling pins.”

n the profile, which first ran May 16, Connelly also claimed that, when the Mexican cooks wouldn’t give up their trade secrets, she and Wilgus “were peeking into the windows of every kitchen, totally fascinated by how easy they made it look.”

Connelly then said she used a trial-and-error process to recreate a tortilla with the same flavor and texture after returning to Portland. She and Wilgus then opened their weekend pop-up inside a taco truck on SE Cesar Estrada Chavez Boulevard, and began serving their Mexican-style tortillas filled with California-inspired ingredients.

Though the eatery had been open for several months, the owners of Kooks were only recently accused of cultural appropriation by The Portland Mercury and Mic.com based on Connelly’s revelations.

"Because of Portland’s underlying racism, the people who rightly own these traditions and cultures that exist are already treated poorly," The Portland Mercury said, calling the closure of Kooks a "victory."

The article continues,"These appropriating businesses are erasing and exploiting their already marginalized identities for the purpose of profit and praise."

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/20...g-recipes.html

============

So basically they are accused of "stealing recipes" - recipes which apparently every tortilla lady in Puerto Nuevo knows so they are not proprietary. It would be like someone stealing a recipe for fried chicken from Alabama. And because they are white, it is "cultural appropriation"

I suppose we better shut down all those Pizza parlors in the USA who are not owned by authentic Italians.
                            I'm still waiting for all non-whites to be told to give up their cars because they were invented by white people and their using them is cultural appropriation. Then they can get on their phones and post a compla... Oops, phones, computers, Facebook and twitter are also invented or started by whites too.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

They don't have anything whatsoever to do with foreign food.
                              I'm not even sure Taco Bell is of this world.

Comment