Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Burrito ladies forced to close because of "cultural appropriation"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry, but I find the concept of "cultural appropriation" awkward. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I fail to see where the complaint comes from.

But I also think it's divisive, limiting, and probably racist as well. I'm astounded that liberals (who call for openness, inclusion, and fairness) have the gall to dictate what ethnicity can operate a burrito shop. I mean, seriously? I thought discrimination wasn't supposed to be politically correct.

Also, are we now calling Vietnamese families operating Chinese restaurants in the USA cultural appropriators?
    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
      I'm sorry, but I find the concept of "cultural appropriation" awkward. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I fail to see where the complaint comes from. But I also think it's divisive, limiting, and probably racist as well. I'm astounded that liberals (who call for openness, inclusion, and fairness) have the gall to dictate what ethnicity can operate a burrito shop. I mean, seriously? I thought discrimination wasn't supposed to be politically correct.

Also, are we now calling Vietnamese families operating Chinese restaurants in the USA cultural appropriators?
      It's only cultural appropriation when white people do it.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        It's only cultural appropriation when white people do it.
        A sad truth indeed.
        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

I'm sorry, but I find the concept of "cultural appropriation" awkward. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I fail to see where the complaint comes from.

But I also think it's divisive, limiting, and probably racist as well. I'm astounded that liberals (who call for openness, inclusion, and fairness) have the gall to dictate what ethnicity can operate a burrito shop. I mean, seriously? I thought discrimination wasn't supposed to be politically correct.

What makes it even more amusing is the fact that most foods Americans think of 'ethnic food' are actually American creations. I.E. most 'Mexican' food you find in the US is more of the Tex-Mex style. Which is from the south-western US and Northern Mexico. Just like most Chinese food is nothing like what you would find in China. Most SJW's need a serious history lesson.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            What makes it even more amusing is the fact that most foods Americans think of 'ethnic food' are actually American creations. I.E. most 'Mexican' food you find in the US is more of the Tex-Mex style. Which is from the south-western US and Northern Mexico. Just like most Chinese food is nothing like what you would find in China. Most SJW's need a serious history lesson.
            Oh yeah. I'll be honest -- I enjoy the "Mexican" food I find around my hometown far more than what I have eaten when I was actually in Mexico. Some of it is quite authentic, but most of the dishes are heavily modified to please the American customer base, even though the family that owns my favorite restaurant are all from Mexico. There's also a great El Salvadoran place that I enjoy.

But I also eat at a "Chinese" place that's operated by a Vietnamese family from New York. Food's great, and they treat me well. We've got a few taco trucks around: one operated by a Hispanic family and the other by some white hipsters (I eat at both, but the hipster one's a little overpriced and not quite as good).

Point being, all these people are just trying to make a living by serving food they enjoy. I don't discriminate based on the color of the owners' skin, and I'm not sure why some liberals think it's ok to do so. I've been saying this since college, and I still think I'm right: if we want to live in a society that treats people of all races fairly, we're going to have to start ignoring race. If we keep bringing attention to the color of people's skin for political reasons, we'll continue to have a problem with racism.

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
              Ugh, I hate my state sometimes. Cultural appropriation is such a stupid concept as I probably made clear in my Facebook thread, Sparkles...
              I find it ironic the far liberals who hate the radical right, like the KKK have gone full circle and actually are endorsing the same things!

The KKK has always been for segregation, and they supported the "equal but separate" doctrine of the 50s and 60s. wanting to keep the cultures separated.

Now these liberals are doing the same thing. Supporting separate dorms for blacks and whites, complaining when one race or culture infringes on another. Instead of embracing and celebrating other cultures, blending humanity into one family, they are determined to divide us.

They have become who they hate. They are now the racists that they say they despise.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I find it ironic the far liberals who hate the radical right, like the KKK have gone full circle and actually are endorsing the same things!

The KKK has always been for segregation, and they supported the "equal but separate" doctrine of the 50s and 60s. wanting to keep the cultures separated.

Now these liberals are doing the same thing. Supporting separate dorms for blacks and whites, complaining when one race or culture infringes on another. Instead of embracing and celebrating other cultures, blending humanity into one family, they are determined to divide us.

They have become who they hate. They are now the racists that they say they despise.
                The far right has never complained about non-whites copying white culture. Quite the opposite, historically, racists tried to force blacks to adopt white norms. There's a reason why I call progressivism the most evil ideology that ever existed, they seem to revel in copying the absolute worst aspects of every previous ideology and then ramping them up to 1000.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Same for UK. One of the Chinese ladies at work was recently going on holiday to China to see her mom and she was saying her mouth "is already watering" when she thinks of the Chinese food back home. I asked her if it is different to all the Chinese food we get here. And we get a whole bundle as you don't need to go far to find a Chinese restuarant or take-away. She said 'yes' and that most of the stuff we get has been developed/adapted for UK tastes.
                  Last edited by Abigail; 05-29-2017, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I know. They preach tolerance and flip out if anyone contradicts them. It would be amusing if it wasn't such a common occurrence.
                    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Originally posted by Abigail View Post
                      Same for UK. One of the Chinese ladies at work was recently going on holiday to China to see her mom and she was saying her mouth "is already watering" when she thinks of the Chinese food back home. I asked her if it is different to all the Chinese food we get here. And we get a whole bundle as you don't need to go far to find a Chinese restuarant or take-away. She said 'yes' and that most of the stuff we get has been developed/adapted for UK tastes.
                      Most is the key word. There was, years ago, a place in San Francisco called Yee Yungs. It served authentic Chinese food, mostly to older Chinese men living in Chinatown. I have never found a place that had food like that. I can understand the "is already watering" thought in that connection.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Oh yeah. I'll be honest -- I enjoy the "Mexican" food I find around my hometown far more than what I have eaten when I was actually in Mexico. Some of it is quite authentic, but most of the dishes are heavily modified to please the American customer base, even though the family that owns my favorite restaurant are all from Mexico. There's also a great El Salvadoran place that I enjoy.

But I also eat at a "Chinese" place that's operated by a Vietnamese family from New York. Food's great, and they treat me well. We've got a few taco trucks around: one operated by a Hispanic family and the other by some white hipsters (I eat at both, but the hipster one's a little overpriced and not quite as good).

Point being, all these people are just trying to make a living by serving food they enjoy. I don't discriminate based on the color of the owners' skin, and I'm not sure why some liberals think it's ok to do so. I've been saying this since college, and I still think I'm right: if we want to live in a society that treats people of all races fairly, we're going to have to start ignoring race. If we keep bringing attention to the color of people's skin for political reasons, we'll continue to have a problem with racism.
                        That's pretty much the way I see it. I grew up in Southern California and the Tex-Mex style is as common there as hamburgers are. I grew up with it and can make about anything you would find at any 'mexican' place. It's not 'cultural appropriation' at all because that's the stuff my mom and grandmother made. It's just family styles and we're about as white as they come. Personally, I've observed many SJW's seem to have lived a rather sheltered life since there's plenty of white people who have been making 'Mexican' since long before they were born. Plus, good cooks borrow from different styles all the time. One of the things I enjoy about cooking is that aspect, were you can blend things together to create something all your own, so unless they want to eat bland, boring food, 'cultural appropriation' is going to keep happening and needs to.
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          The far right has never complained about non-whites copying white culture. Quite the opposite, historically, racists tried to force blacks to adopt white norms. There's a reason why I call progressivism the most evil ideology that ever existed, they seem to revel in copying the absolute worst aspects of every previous ideology and then ramping them up to 1000.
                          They do racism better than the KKK. The KKK turns people against them, while the liberals actually get the minorities to fight to be segregated from white society. The KKK should either take lessons or team up with these guys.
                          Last edited by Sparko; 05-30-2017, 12:52 PM.

Comment

True, but there's a bit more than simply adapting to local taste. The other half is ingrident access. Something common in one country, isn't in another so substitution happens too.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I don't know about the UK, but I can definitely tell you that the Chinese food in the USA is a lot different than the Chinese food in Germany.

Comment

Plus, good cooks borrow from different styles all the time. One of the things I enjoy about cooking is that aspect, were you can blend things together to create something all your own, so unless they want to eat bland, boring food, 'cultural appropriation' is going to keep happening and needs to.
                                That's pretty much the whole premise of "the Food Network" and the "cooking channel" - chefs teaching you recipes and cooking styles from around the world.

If the SJWs had their way we couldn't buy french fries from McDonalds because it would be a scottish restaurant appropriating french culture. come to think of it they couldn't sell hamburgers either. Just haggis.

Comment