Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Burrito ladies forced to close because of "cultural appropriation"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    That's pretty much the way I see it. I grew up in Southern California and the Tex-Mex style is as common there as hamburgers are. I grew up with it and can make about anything you would find at any 'mexican' place. It's not 'cultural appropriation' at all because that's the stuff my mom and grandmother made. It's just family styles and we're about as white as they come. Personally, I've observed many SJW's seem to have lived a rather sheltered life since there's plenty of white people who have been making 'Mexican' since long before they were born. Plus, good cooks borrow from different styles all the time. One of the things I enjoy about cooking is that aspect, were you can blend things together to create something all your own, so unless they want to eat bland, boring food, 'cultural appropriation' is going to keep happening and needs to.
    Southern California doesn't have Tex-Mex. Texas has Tex-Mex. I've been both places. There is a huge difference.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Can't say for sure, but the term Tex-Mex refers to Mexican inspired dishes, that originated usually north of the Rio Grand, and contain one or more of the following: ground beef or pork, black beans, yellow cheese, grain tortillas, and more spices. I would agree that there's variations of the different types, but it all pretty much considered 'Tex-Mex'.
    Black beans is Mexican, not Tex-Mex. We like our beans refried, thanks. And it's flour tortillas, not corn.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment