Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Who buried Jesus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    This always bugs me.

If I said I was flesh and blood, would that mean I didn't have any bones?

Saying Jesus was flesh and bone just means he was there in a body. It doesn't mean he didn't have blood. flesh and blood and flesh and bone are both idioms for the same thing: human body.
    Unfortunately, for Paul, the earliest and only firsthand source, the "body" was a "spiritual one" in heaven experienced through visions/revelations. It was not a resurrected human body on earth. This renders the later developed orthodox version of Christianity false.

Comment

This always bugs me.

If I said I was flesh and blood, would that mean I didn't have any bones?

Saying Jesus was flesh and bone just means he was there in a body. It doesn't mean he didn't have blood. flesh and blood and flesh and bone are both idioms for the same thing: human body.
      Not quite the same thing! Jesus’ post-mortem body for Paul was a spiritual body (1 Corinthians 15:44). He describes the resurrection body as "spiritual" (Greek "pneumatikos") in contrast to the natural (Greek "psychikos") body.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Not quite the same thing! Jesus’ post-mortem body for Paul was a spiritual body (1 Corinthians 15:44). He describes the resurrection body as "spiritual" (Greek "pneumatikos") in contrast to the natural (Greek "psychikos") body.
        The body of the flesh is σαρκικος, not ψυκικος - the latter is the body of the soul.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
          The NIGHT of the 14th is the 15th!!!
          No - if the night of the 14th was the fifteenth, it would not be called the 14th.
          Twilight (the Hebrew word is actually for "evening" when Passover is consumed) indicates the end of the 14th, beginning of the 15th.
          The night of the 14th cannot start when the date is already the fifteenth.

Are you trying to claim that the lambs were slaughtered on the 13th and you mean at nighttime (beginning of the 14th) is when they eat the Passover? The lambs are slaughtered during the day on the 14th then eaten at nighttime when it becomes the 15th.
          No - twilight in Hebrew is עֲלָטָה {alatah} dusk, or colloquially, on occasion, נֶשֶׁף {nesheph} denoting the evening breeze. Leviticus states that the lambs are to be slaughtered at dusk and eaten during the night of the fourteenth (and as the charts I provided show - that would be at the start of the day. There's even a division of blue and black stripes on the chart for John to show when the night and daylight occur). Hebrew practice by the first century had extended the time from dusk on the fourteenth to late afternoon on the fourteenth (a span of roughly 24 hours.)

This is how all Jews practice Passover today so are you saying that they're all wrong?
          You will of course fail to note that the Biblical record shows that passover lamb is to be slaughtered and eaten on the day of preparation, following which is the seven day festival of unleavened bread. Modern Israel doesn't follow that schedule ... if you want to call that wrong, go talk to them about it.

See what Mark says in 14:12 - "On the first day of Unleavened Bread, when the Passover lamb is sacrificed, his disciples said to him, “Where do you want us to go and make the preparations for you to eat the Passover?”
          Of course, they could not have asked that question when the day first started now, could they? If they did, your house of cards would be blown away.

They eat the Passover Seder later that evening (Mk. 14:16-17 beginning of Nisan 15) then Jesus is executed the next day which is still Nisan 15. Contrast that with John who has Jesus executed the same day the lambs are slaughtered (John 19:14 - Preparation for the Passover) - Nisan 14.
          and yet the day of preparation - the day when Jesus was executed - is the 14th. My charts of both Mark's and John's record demonstrate the fallacy of your assertions well enough.

But John contradicts which night the synoptics say the Jews eat the Passover! You can't have them eat it the night before Jesus goes before Pilate (synoptic version) then have them wondering how they're going to eat it the next day as John 18:28 tells us.
          I posted the charts that convert John's text to graphics. Obviously, the Pharisees chose to eat the Passover during the second evening of the fourteenth, rather than during the first evening - there was no reason not to.

Twilight/evening on the 14th indicates the beginning of the 15th.
          Twilight of the 14th is on the 14th - twilight on the 15th is the next day - that is why the numbers of the days are different. Twilight on the 14th extends from just after 6pm (maybe as late as 7) til 8 or 8:30 pm. Which is to say, two to two-and-a-half hours after the start of the day.
          Last edited by tabibito; 06-28-2017, 01:17 AM.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            The body of the flesh is σαρκικος, not ψυκικος - the latter is the body of the soul.
            No. Short Definition of psychikos": “animal, natural, sensuous”.

http://biblehub.com/greek/5591.htm
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

No. Short Definition of psychikos": “animal, natural, sensuous”.

http://biblehub.com/greek/5591.htm
              ψυχικός (ψῡχικός, ή, όν)
              Etym. ψυχή
              1. of the soul or life, spiritual, opp. to σωματικός, Arist., Anth.

And for σωματικος
              σωματικός (σωμᾰτικός, ή, όν)
              Etym. σῶμα
              1. of or for the body, bodily, Lat. corporeus, Arist.:—adv. -κῶς, NTest.
              2. bodily, corporeal, material, Arist.

then there is
              σαρκικός (σαρκῐκός, ή, όν)
              Etym. σάρξ
              fleshly, sensual, Anth.

Or moving away from the intermediate level dictionary to the advanced
              ψῡχι-κός , ή , όν , of the soul or life, spiritual, opp. σωματικός, ἡδοναί Arist. EN 1117b28 ; ὁρμαί Plb. 8.10.9 ; πνεῦμα ψ. the spirit, or breath of life, Plu. 2.1084e, etc.; νόσος ib.524d. Adv. -κῶς Ph. 1.81 ; opp. σωματικῶς, νοερῶς, Procl. Inst. 139 ; also, heartily, from the heart, LXX 2 Ma. 4.37 , 14.24 .
              2. of the animal life, animal, ὁ ψ. ἄνθρωπος the natural man, opp. ὁ πνευματικός, 1 Ep.Cor. 2.14 , cf. Ep.Jud. 19 , Phot. s.v.
              3. brave, Alex. 338 . II for the soul or spirit of one deceased, ψ. δῶρα διδούς, sc. to Hermes, Epigr.Gr. 815.4 ( Crete ). III cooling, Vett.Val. 6.27 (s. v. l.).

And to continue the definition provided by BibleHub
              5591 psyxikós (an adjective, derived from 5590 /psyxḗ, "soul, natural identity") – properly, soulish, i.e. what is natural, as it relates to physical (tangible) life alone (i.e. apart from God's inworking of faith).

5591 /psyxikós ("natural") typically describes the natural ("lower") aspect of humanity, i.e. behavior that is "more of earth (carnality) than heaven." 5591 (psyxikós) then sometimes stands in contrast to 4152 /pneumatikós ("spiritual") – the higher, spiritual aspect of humanity that develops through faith (4102 /pístis).

Nice try - but you get no kewpie doll. And yes - we've been here before, though in less detail.
              Last edited by tabibito; 06-28-2017, 02:06 AM.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Unfortunately, for Paul, the earliest and only firsthand source, the "body" was a "spiritual one" in heaven experienced through visions/revelations. It was not a resurrected human body on earth. This renders the later developed orthodox version of Christianity false.
                Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Paul writes of the resurrection body (1 Corinthians 15:35). Bodies are physical. How the body is animated is the difference between the "natural body" and the "spiritual body." The natural body by way of the soul in the flesh by means of the blood (see Leviticus 17:11) and the spiritual body by means of the Holy Spirit (see Romans 8:11).
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  I was responding to Tassman. Not you my friend.
                  1 Corinthians 15:50,
                  . . .Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. . . .

And Jesus is physically a man in heaven for us (1 Timothy 2:5.)
                  well gorsh, how could that be? how can flesh be in heaven if flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom? could it be that you are being too literal?

Comment

No it wasn't. Jesus had a physical body. He even said he was not a ghost to the apostles when he came back and ate food with them and had thomas touch his wounds. A resurrection without a body is an oxymoron.

Ghandi was a spiritual man. Doesn't mean he didn't have a body, does it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Shaver View Post
                      How is it relevant that your adversaries are doing it?
                      Well I presume they believe what they are saying. And what is actually true matters. There being a disagreement as to what is true.
                      The problem is not wanting to hear the opposing view. Unfortunately, more often than not, argue past each other. Not understanding the point of issue/difference. If we cannot agree, at the very least know why we do not. I attempt to address what I think is the point of disagreement. Maybe I might actually miss it.

When arguments are repeated back and fourth both sides are missing it.
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

No it wasn't. Jesus had a physical body. He even said he was not a ghost to the apostles when he came back and ate food with them and had thomas touch his wounds. A resurrection without a body is an oxymoron.

Ghandi was a spiritual man. Doesn't mean he didn't have a body, does it?
                        No fair bringing up the gospels. Don'tchaknow they don't count?
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                          No - if the night of the 14th was the fifteenth, it would not be called the 14th. The night of the 14th cannot start when the date is already the fifteenth.

No - twilight in Hebrew is עֲלָטָה {alatah} dusk, or colloquially, on occasion, נֶשֶׁף {nesheph} denoting the evening breeze. Leviticus states that the lambs are to be slaughtered at dusk and eaten during the night of the fourteenth (and as the charts I provided show - that would be at the start of the day. There's even a division of blue and black stripes on the chart for John to show when the night and daylight occur). Hebrew practice by the first century had extended the time from dusk on the fourteenth to late afternoon on the fourteenth (a span of roughly 24 hours.)

You will of course fail to note that the Biblical record shows that passover lamb is to be slaughtered and eaten on the day of preparation, following which is the seven day festival of unleavened bread. Modern Israel doesn't follow that schedule ... if you want to call that wrong, go talk to them about it.

Of course, they could not have asked that question when the day first started now, could they? If they did, your house of cards would be blown away.

and yet the day of preparation - the day when Jesus was executed - is the 14th. My charts of both Mark's and John's record demonstrate the fallacy of your assertions well enough.

I posted the charts that convert John's text to graphics. Obviously, the Pharisees chose to eat the Passover during the second evening of the fourteenth, rather than during the first evening - there was no reason not to.

Twilight of the 14th is on the 14th - twilight on the 15th is the next day - that is why the numbers of the days are different. Twilight on the 14th extends from just after 6pm (maybe as late as 7) til 8 or 8:30 pm. Which is to say, two to two-and-a-half hours after the start of the day.
                          The "Lord's Passover" in Leviticus 23:5 is the sacrifice, not the Passover meal. The Passover meal is eaten on the 15th of Nisan (evening of the 14th). Just ask any Jew who practices Passover. The synoptics maintain that Jesus was executed on Nisan 15 while John says he was executed on Nisan 14. Mark 14:12 proves this was Nisan 14 since it was the day the lambs were being slaughtered and preparations for the Passover were being made. The lambs were sacrificed during the daytime on Nisan 14 then they were cooked and prepared for the evening Passover meal which was Nisan 15.
                          Last edited by RhinestoneCowboy; 06-28-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

well gorsh, how could that be? how can flesh be in heaven if flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom? could it be that you are being too literal?
                            OK. I fail to understand your objection to my explanation that resurrected bodies are bloodless. Please explain how and why I have it wrong. You are contending I have it wrong about the resurrected bodies of Jesus and the saved. Please explain why.

Comment

• As for what the Pharisees believed about "bodies," Josephus says they were "other" bodies, not physically raised corpses.

"and yet allow, that to act what is right, or the contrary, is principally in the power of men, although fate does cooperate in every action. They say that all souls are incorruptible, but that the souls of good men only are removed into other bodies,—but that the souls of bad men are subject to eternal punishment." http://lexundria.com/j_bj/2.163/wst

Paul says these were "spiritual bodies" in heaven. That's why he says that Jesus "appeared" in visions/revelations instead of physical encounters.

Comment

The "Lord's Passover" in Leviticus 23:5 is the sacrifice, not the Passover meal. The Passover meal is eaten on the 15th of Nisan. Just ask any Jew who practices Passover. The synoptics maintain that Jesus was executed on Nisan 15 while John says he was executed on Nisan 14.
                                Well that is a common misinterpretation of John 19:14. The truth is, beginning on the 15th, there are seven days of Passover preparation and sacrifices (Numbers 28:24). The actual Pass Over event took place that night of the 15th in Egypt (Exodus 12:13). As a Christian I am in a small minority which has that understanding of John.

Also the feast of unleavened bread had for some time also been called the Passover (Ezekiel 45:21-23; Luke 22:1).
                                Last edited by 37818; 06-28-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment