Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Best to leave horoscopes alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best to leave horoscopes alone

I wish I could write a descent address to this subject or even how I feel about it. Recently, I was really unraveled by the fact that the elderly, and being vulnerable at their age, would be in a position that someone would target them for reading horoscopes. You know all of our trust in the future or what kind of a day someone will have is really in God's hands. I'm sure that there are some really descent articles that would address this subject or scriptural passage that would show why this is really a false deception.

We know what the bible says about Astrology and Fortune telling and the dangerous path on where it leads - is it that we don't listen? Or that we're testing God? How can people who do these things to others who are vulnerable - lead them astray? or to others false hopes?

I hope this is the right board to address this subject -
    Last edited by Marta; 05-29-2017, 12:40 AM.

Your Weekly Horoscope:
    the-stars-and-planets-will-not-affect-your-life-in-2514418.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What about those who were born under the sign of Ophiuchus, between Scorpius and Sagittarius?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Faber; 05-29-2017, 10:11 AM.
      When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        What about those who were born under the sign of Ophiuchus, between Scorpius and Sagittarius?
        Romans 2:12-16 teaches that even though the Gentiles do not have the Law, they instinctively do the things of the Law. They show that the Law was written in their hearts. Moreover, their conscience bears witness against them. One objection that people make to this is that different people have different beliefs about what is right and wrong. If everyone has the Law written in their hearts, everyone would have the same beliefs about what is morally right and wrong. Some people think that homosexuality is ok, but others do not. How would you answer this objection.

I will change the paragraph on what everyone "thinks" - to astrology is ok, but others "Do Not". "All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to ‘unveil’ the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone" (CCC 2116).

You may think you're being funny but when the elderly are loosing "hope" in their illness, you don't pull out the astrology and read what the future holds for them according to their birth date. Giving them hope under their circumstances with pulling out a prayer card would be a better choice - especially for a cancer patient.
        Last edited by Marta; 05-29-2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Your Weekly Horoscope:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]22579[/ATTACH]
          The Talmud identified the 12 constellations of the zodiac with the 12 months of the Hebrew calendar. The correspondence of the constellations with their names in Hebrew and the months is as follows:

1.Aries - Ṭaleh - Nisan
          2.Taurus - Shor - Iyar
          3.Gemini - Teomim - Sivan
          4.Cancer - Sarṭon - Tammuz
          5.Leo - Ari - Av
          6.Virgo - Betulah - Elul
          7.Libra - Moznayim - Tishrei
          8.Scorpio - 'Aḳrab - Cheshvan
          9.Sagittarius - Ḳasshat - Kislev
          10.Capricorn - Gedi - Tevet
          11.Aquarius - D'li - Shevat
          12.Pisces - Dagim - Adar

Between God and man, there are many levels of interaction, the lowest being those of the angels and the stars -

Here's our original report: Seasons change, friendships come and go, time passes, but the one thing that we knew for sure would be forever? Our zodiac signs. The stars in the sky—and our birthdays—are permanent. At least that's what we thought.

Apparently, earlier this year, NASA quietly announced they were just going right ahead and changing the whole zodiac system without even asking anyone. New dates have been assigned to each zodiac sign AND a whole new sign has been added. So, there we were, blissfully unaware for almost a full year that almost everyone had a new zodiac sign, and now, the world is in a panic.

Apparently, NASA had to shake up all our lives because the Earth is a little different from the way it was back when the Babylonians created the zodiac we knew and loved. "Now, 3,000 years later, the sky has shifted because Earth's axis (North Pole) doesn't point in quite the same direction," the NASA explanation says.

And in order to make their zodiac calendar seem perfect (12 month calendar, 12 zodiac signs, one sign for each month—you get it) the Babylonians straight up ignored a 13th constellation, and NASA has taken it upon themselves to set things right. So, for those born between November 29 and December 17, meet your new sign: Ophiuchus. Yes, seriously. You are a guy holding a snake, and your standout traits are a penchant for seeking knowledge and being envied by your peers.No, Your Zodiac Sign Is Not Changing (Updated)
          Last edited by Marta; 05-29-2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Your Weekly Horoscope:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]22579[/ATTACH]
            I'm glad to see that those of the form who don't address a post directly would - "Amen" this!

What exactly does amen mean? The specific Hebrew word amen (’amen ) appears to be derived from a related verb--’aman , which means "he confirmed, supported, or upheld." This verb is also associated with the Hebrew word for truth (’emet ), which carries the idea of certainty or dependability (i.e., that which is true is that which is certain or dependable).

’Amen itself is an interjection used to agree with, affirm, approve, or emphasize something else that has been said. Thus when Jesus begins certain sayings by declaring "Amen, amen, I say to you . . . " various Bible translations often render the "amen, amen" different ways. Because of the word’s association with the Hebrew terms for truth, the double amen is sometimes rendered "truly, truly" or "verily, verily." Because of its association with the Hebrew terms for confirmation or dependability, one might also translate it "certainly, certainly" or "most assuredly."

Comment

With posting someone's question from another thread - I had posted a reply back with this thought, "There are some real "hardcore" issues on the table even with our youth and where these "monstrous deeds" can lead when it comes to morally "Right" and "Wrong". Some people may "think" this is nothing but fun and games but it does "lead" to an advancement in that "science". Know what happened when Reagan's wife used it - hopefully, it wasn't used to make "major" decisions? Right? Its that scary? People are basing their decisions of the day according to something that could be damaging and wrong. This is how it can be quite damaging and distorting on beliefs and worship. Just look at the newspaper and how many people actually - rely on this? and you print a copy of the signs of the zodiac to say "not to be believed"? I don't think the river is going to change it course - with this.

Sometimes what might be an acceptable "thing" in society - is not always best in Christian thought and practices. The idea of Astrology in ancient terms is much different in Western terms. (meaning: Astronomy and Astrology) Finishing this "thought" - on Astrology so that information is correct:

With due respect to your professor, it is widely accepted in academia that the zodiac signs as we know them [Aries, the Ram; Taurus, the Bull; Gemini, the Twins; Cancer, the Crab; Leo, the Lion; Virgo, the Virgin; Libra, the Balance; Scorpio, the Scorpion; Sagittarius, the Archer; Capricorn, the Goat; Aquarius, the Water Bearer; and Pisces, the Fishes] originated in ancient Mesopotamia. The Greeks later adopted the symbols from the Babylonians and passed them on to other ancient civilizations such as the Romans who came much later. If the Jews received the zodiac signs from another culture, it was not from the Romans but from the Babylonians.

However, the Jewish perspective is that the signs of the zodiac were positioned at the time of Creation, and their influence is intimated in the Torah. Thus our Talmudic Sages describe in great detail the dynamic between the progression of the creation of the zodiac signs and their corresponding influence on Mankind (Pesikta, ch. 4). Furthermore, the entire wisdom of the Torah, including the knowledge of the zodiac, was taught by G-d to Adam and his descendents. Even though it was eventually perverted and incorporated by most of humanity into idol worship, a select few such as Abraham retained its true meaning.

Judaism, like most systems of religion, distinguishes between miracles—the extraordinary deeds of the true God or agents of the true God—and magicthe extraordinary deeds of false gods or their agentsMagic, Magic Bowls, Astrology in Judaism
              It is important to remember that since the Hebrew months literally correspond to the moon, each month begins and ends with the new moon, and the full moon is in the middle of the month. Therefore, unlike the common, incorrect version of the zodiac based on the Gregorian calendar, each sign is in harmony with one month, with its greatest influence during the full moon of that month. One of the earliest, ancient Jewish texts called Sefer Yetzira correlates the zodiac signs with the months, tribes and 12 faculties as follows: The Zodiac

** The use of Astrology (Western Hemisphere): (NASA points out 13th zodiac sign: Did your horoscope just change?)

All that being said, you probably won't be seeing horoscopes for Ophiuchus in the newspaper anytime soon.

"Leading astrological experts say this won't change things at all. That's because Western astrology strictly adheres to the tropical zodiac, which is fixed to seasons. The sidereal zodiac, observed in the East, is the one affixed to constellations, and is thus the one that would change" according to Snopes.

Horoscope Hang-Up: Earth Rotation Changes Zodiac Signs: (According to Time Magazine)

According to the Minnesota Planetarium Society, here is where the real signs of the Zodiac should fall. Get ready for your world to change forever.

Capricorn: Jan. 20-Feb. 16.
              Aquarius: Feb. 16-March 11.
              Pisces: March 11-April 18.
              Aries: April 18-May 13.
              Taurus: May 13-June 21.
              Gemini: June 21-July 20.
              Cancer: July 20-Aug. 10.
              Leo: Aug. 10-Sept. 16.
              Virgo: Sept. 16-Oct. 30.
              Libra: Oct. 30-Nov. 23.
              Scorpio: Nov. 23-29.
              Ophiuchus: Nov. 29-Dec. 17. (Yep, this one is new — read all about the Ophiuchus way of life here)
              Sagittarius: Dec. 17-Jan. 20.

“When [astrologers] say that the sun is in Pisces, it’s really not in Pisces,” noted Parke Kunkle, a member of the group’s board. Your astrological sign is determined by the position of the sun on the day you were born, so that means everything you thought you knew about your horoscope is wrong.

It turns out that astrology has had issues from its inception. (Aside from the fact that it tries to link personality traits with positions of the stars.) Ancient Babylonians had 13 constellations, but wanted only 12, so threw out Ophuchicus, the snake holder. Libra didn’t even enter the picture until the era of Julius Caesar.
              Last edited by Marta; 05-29-2017, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Faber is just teasing you.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I have nothing further to add - it is equally clear that the Bible condemns such actions as it is that they have no scientific basis.

As far as the elderly being scammed with false hopes, I am more immediately concerned about the financial predators they face on an ongoing basis. I'm a mail carrier and deliver an awful lot of packages from the Publisher's Clearinghouse to elderly customers, which misleadingly imply they are on the verge of winning a large sum of money. I don't think the horoscopes that are printed in the newspaper daily rise to this immediate level of threat (at least from a non-spiritual perspective).
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    Faber is just teasing you.
                    I know. Faber - don't take me to heart. I know that someone close to me is losing hope and they are grasping to find it. Tearfully as it is - God does hear us even though we might not feel his presence all the time. This is the part of faith that one must "trust" God and to know that He is sharing in that moment of pain and even when we are uncertain about the outcome. I was writing to another family member and I said that the Exodus was about everything human beings could encounter - every weakness and trial of faith and trust, rebellion, loss of faith, testing - all those things were being shared. Uncertainties - our fears and our own doubts, but at that moment - God intervenes to assure us "while comforting" that He is present. Even out of scripture, the apostle Paul mentions this verse, "13 But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called “Today,” so that none of you may be hardened by sin’s deceitfulness. 14 We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end."

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I have nothing further to add - it is equally clear that the Bible condemns such actions as it is that they have no scientific basis.

As far as the elderly being scammed with false hopes, I am more immediately concerned about the financial predators they face on an ongoing basis. I'm a mail carrier and deliver an awful lot of packages from the Publisher's Clearinghouse to elderly customers, which misleadingly imply they are on the verge of winning a large sum of money. I don't think the horoscopes that are printed in the newspaper daily rise to this immediate level of threat (at least from a non-spiritual perspective).
                      I agree - but I also know, that one is punished by the very things through which one sins. It's no big secret about how others will take things that don't belong to them, thieving - really is a life of punishment when you think about it. Because the person or people behind it will always ante up for bigger things until they get caught at it - its more work for them who invent more ways to cheat. Even for companies, once people lose that trust its a downward spiral staircase, they will eventually lose the respect of the public and eventually, lose their revenue.

as for horoscopes - again, money can be an issue when collecting, even with the elderly - thank goodness this wasn't the issue. I've seen this thing as at its worst - especially financially when others are being mislead. Have you seen how much they charge over the phone for readings, $700.00 sometimes $800.00 or a even $1000.00. Personally, I think that hit rock bottom - especially when you hear how much they charge to listen to someone who can bring back someone who has passed away, $1500.00.
                      Last edited by Marta; 05-29-2017, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I remember several decades ago being in the supermarket. There in display was the latest issue of Astronomy magazine with a colorful photograph of Mars from the latest Voyager probes. I picked it up and was browsing through it. Just then one of our pastor's daughters happened to see me with the magazine in my hands and exclaimed, "I didn't think you believed that stuff!" I had to explain to her the difference.
                        When I Survey....

Comment

I remember several decades ago being in the supermarket. There in display was the latest issue of Astronomy magazine with a colorful photograph of Mars from the latest Voyager probes. I picked it up and was browsing through it. Just then one of our pastor's daughters happened to see me with the magazine in my hands and exclaimed, "I didn't think you believed that stuff!" I had to explain to her the difference.
                          Quite a bit of a difference. Amazing isn't it? and the fact that the universe is expanding!

Dark_Energy.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ark_Energy.jpg

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X