Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

To Catholics: What are your concerns for me, a Protestant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Catholics: What are your concerns for me, a Protestant?

I have a question for Catholics!

I'm looking to understand more about the range of beliefs among Catholics on a particular topic.

Nutshell: Given that I'm a baptized evangelical Protestant, what would you say are your most significant concerns for me? (You can assume for this that I'm a sincerely seeking to follow Christ in the Spirit, in accordance with God's Word, i.e. I'm more than a "cultural Christian".)

Clarification: I'm not necessarily asking for a full explanation -- perhaps just a bullet-point list of ideas & key phrases. (Documents would also be welcome; I know of the Council of Florence, Lumen Gentium, and sections 836-848 & 1262-1271 of the Catholic Catechism).

I'm also interested in knowing to what extent (in your understanding) Catholics can legitimately differ over the details & likelihoods involved. Where are you definite, and where would you say you're making a judgment call? (For instance, can you legitimately differ on whether salvation for baptized Protestants is a remote possibility, versus a likelihood, versus a near certainty?) I'm hoping to distinguish between what you can identify as infallible magisterial teachings, and ordinary magisterial teachings, and the perceptions of among individual (informed) Catholics.

To prime the pump a bit, here are some possible answers I've thought of:
    • Salvation (re: rejecting Catholicism): That my rejection of Catholicism might be culpable rejection of truth I've been given, i.e. not "invincible ignorance".
    • Salvation (re: mortal sin): That I will commit or have committed a mortal sin (i.e. a grave sin of whose gravity I'm aware), without subsequent perfect contrition or going to confession, and might die without being in state of grace. (Or does this standard not apply to me, because God would judge me by the light I have been given? Or does the fact that I know about such distinctions imply I have been given that light?)
    • Spiritual malnourishment (possibly affecting salvation): That my life & soul would be less than it could be, because I am not receiving the fullness of God's grace through the sacraments. (And potentially, this could leave me more likely to die without being in a state of grace.)
    • My unbaptized children: That I might have children who would die unbaptized, thus leaving their salvation uncertain at best.
    • Misleading others: That I might lead others away from Catholicism or saving faith, possibly even leading a Catholic into culpable apostasy.

Is that a fair list? How would you add to, subtract from, or modify it?

Originally posted by Jugulum View Post
    I have a question for Catholics!

I'm looking to understand more about the range of beliefs among Catholics on a particular topic.

Nutshell: Given that I'm a baptized evangelical Protestant, what would you say are your most significant concerns for me? (You can assume for this that I'm a sincerely seeking to follow Christ in the Spirit, in accordance with God's Word, i.e. I'm more than a "cultural Christian".)

Clarification: I'm not necessarily asking for a full explanation -- perhaps just a bullet-point list of ideas & key phrases. (Documents would also be welcome; I know of the Council of Florence, Lumen Gentium, and sections 836-848 & 1262-1271 of the Catholic Catechism).

I'm also interested in knowing to what extent (in your understanding) Catholics can legitimately differ over the details & likelihoods involved. Where are you definite, and where would you say you're making a judgment call? (For instance, can you legitimately differ on whether salvation for baptized Protestants is a remote possibility, versus a likelihood, versus a near certainty?) I'm hoping to distinguish between what you can identify as infallible magisterial teachings, and ordinary magisterial teachings, and the perceptions of among individual (informed) Catholics.

To prime the pump a bit, here are some possible answers I've thought of:
    • Salvation (re: rejecting Catholicism): That my rejection of Catholicism might be culpable rejection of truth I've been given, i.e. not "invincible ignorance".
    • Salvation (re: mortal sin): That I will commit or have committed a mortal sin (i.e. a grave sin of whose gravity I'm aware), without subsequent perfect contrition or going to confession, and might die without being in state of grace. (Or does this standard not apply to me, because God would judge me by the light I have been given? Or does the fact that I know about such distinctions imply I have been given that light?)
    • Spiritual malnourishment (possibly affecting salvation): That my life & soul would be less than it could be, because I am not receiving the fullness of God's grace through the sacraments. (And potentially, this could leave me more likely to die without being in a state of grace.)
    • My unbaptized children: That I might have children who would die unbaptized, thus leaving their salvation uncertain at best.
    • Misleading others: That I might lead others away from Catholicism or saving faith, possibly even leading a Catholic into culpable apostasy.

Is that a fair list? How would you add to, subtract from, or modify it?
    Sorry if this sounds or is crass, but I for one am not quite sure what you are asking. Some of those questions would require lengthy answers. Can you clarify ? Thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X