Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Mixing Of Science And Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mixing Of Science And Politics

I'm not sure what this gobbledygook means, but it can't be good for science...

Assembled Bodies
    Reconfiguring Quantum Identities

Whitney Stark

Abstract

In this semimanifesto, I approach how understandings of quantum physics and cyborgian bodies can (or always already do) ally with feminist anti-oppression practices long in use. The idea of the body (whether biological, social, or of work) is not stagnant, and new materialist feminisms help to recognize how multiple phenomena work together to behave in what can become legible at any given moment as a body. By utilizing the materiality of conceptions about connectivity often thought to be merely theoretical, by taking a critical look at the noncentralized and multiple movements of quantum physics, and by dehierarchizing the necessity of linear bodies through time, it becomes possible to reconfigure structures of value, longevity, and subjectivity in ways explicitly aligned with anti-oppression practices and identity politics. Combining intersectionality and quantum physics can provide for differing perspectives on organizing practices long used by marginalized people, for enabling apparatuses that allow for new possibilities of safer spaces, and for practices of accountability.

http://minnesotareview.dukejournals....69.short?rss=1
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

It's in a creative writing journal. Check your sources before getting all excited.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

So... they're thinking of making robots (excuse me, cyborgs) easily triggered and in need of safe spaces?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        So... they're thinking of making robots (excuse me, cyborgs) easily triggered and in need of safe spaces?
        I know this is NatSci, but I can't resist....

feminist robot.jpg
        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          I know this is NatSci, but I can't resist....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22613[/ATTACH]
          That.

"dehierarchizing the necessity of linear bodies through time" - sounds like Whitney has watched too many Star Trek episodes. The whole abstract is just technobabble.

Originally posted by TheLurch
          It's in a creative writing journal. Check your sources before getting all excited.
          Not so clear that this was supposed to be a sci-fi article.

A researcher in culture and gender studies at Utrecht University in the Netherlands, Stark also holds an appointment in women’s and gender studies at the University of Arizona through its Institute for LGBT Studies.

She is a member of the Somatechnics Research Network, hosted by UA, whose scholars “reflect on the mutual inextricability of embodiment and technology.”

The article was published in the “Critical Special Focus” section of the journal, which in this issue is devoted to “New Materialist Genealogies.” The Minnesota Review, which is managed out of Virginia Tech, also has a creative-writing section. The editors did not immediately respond to a request for comment on their decision to accept the article for publication.

Stark did not respond to multiple email and Facebook requests for comment from The College Fix. While she does not have any academic training in physics or quantum physics, she did complete a master’s degree in “Cyborg and Post Colonial Theory” at the University of Utrecht.
          https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/32830/

Comment

Some day in the future they will refer to this period of History as the "Great Insanity"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Some day in the future they will refer to this period of History as the "Great Insanity"
              I think we underestimate how much this nonsense may eventually effect the hard sciences departments on college campuses.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

A close family member of mine has been raped. I don't find that cartoon amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                  A close family member of mine has been raped. I don't find that cartoon amusing.
                  Yeah, there's nothing amusing about rape. The cartoon is lampooning feminism's extreme over-use of the word.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Sometimes my sense of humor gets irreverent, and I have a genuinely hard time knowing when it might be offensive to somebody else (I'm a weird guy, even for Tweb standards). So I'll just say sorry, and I didn't intend any offense by it.

Edit: OBP got it right, FWIW.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      Sometimes my sense of humor gets irreverent, and I have a genuinely hard time knowing when it might be offensive to somebody else (I'm a weird guy, even for Tweb standards). So I'll just say sorry, and I didn't intend any offense by it.
                      No, i'm sure you didn't mean offense. But think of it this way - the radical fringes of feminism say lots of things that could very easily be mocked. There are a wealth of targets to choose from. So, why did this cartoonist choose to focus on an act of violence that leaves many of its victims traumatized for years afterwards?

If we're trying to be better people - and it seems that most of us here are - then we could all do with being a bit more mindful of how the things we promote affect other people.

Which is really what i should have said in the first place, rather than just the "i don't find this amusing."

Comment

No, i'm sure you didn't mean offense. But think of it this way - the radical fringes of feminism say lots of things that could very easily be mocked. There are a wealth of targets to choose from. So, why did this cartoonist choose to focus on an act of violence that leaves many of its victims traumatized for years afterwards?

If we're trying to be better people - and it seems that most of us here are - then we could all do with being a bit more mindful of how the things we promote affect other people.

Which is really what i should have said in the first place, rather than just the "i don't find this amusing."
                        Because of the whole feminist concept of "rape culture" where they dilute the concept of rape so much that it is meaningless. Rape is a serious crime and trauma. When feminists cry "rape" at every perceived social injustice, it becomes meaningless and that is a real offense to those who have suffered it. The cartoon was mocking that dilution, not rape itself.

Comment

My reactions were two-fold. It seemed inappropriate, much as Lurches, but then a nod to the fact sparko points out, the tendency to cry rape for every offense, no matter how slight. Which - in many ways - is a stereo-typically feminine reaction to difficulty. Somewhat ironic.

Jim
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Because of the whole feminist concept of "rape culture" where they dilute the concept of rape so much that it is meaningless.
                            For obvious reasons, i'll happily join with anyone who pushes back agains the trivialization of rape. My point is that there are ways to do that that don't perpetuate the trivialization, as i feel this cartoon does. And throwing them out randomly in a discussion that has nothing to do with it just seems wildly inappropriate.

Comment

For obvious reasons, i'll happily join with anyone who pushes back agains the trivialization of rape. My point is that there are ways to do that that don't perpetuate the trivialization, as i feel this cartoon does. And throwing them out randomly in a discussion that has nothing to do with it just seems wildly inappropriate.
                              it wasn't random, it was pointing out how easily triggered Feminists are and their overreaction. There might also be a bit of irony in this argument about it.

Comment