Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Mixing Of Science And Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Given that your habit here is to reach for the first thing you google up which you think supports your point (regardless of provenance, and whether or not it actually does), I have my doubts that you are any more objectively neutral in other areas.
    Does not answer the question, be specific!!!!! Where have I not done that?

Blanket accusations and generalizations are meaningless.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Exactly Shuny, where have you NOT done that!
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

That's a very good question. I don't recall you ever citing an internet source which was both solid and actually proved your point.
        This would, itself, appear to be a blanket statement - and thus, by your own estimation, meaningless.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          That's a very good question. I don't recall you ever citing an internet source which was both solid and actually proved your point.

This would, itself, appear to be a blanket statement - and thus, by your own estimation, meaningless.
          He is reverting back to his demand for a cite! when, he never provides anything other than the first google result that agrees with him without any actual cite.

he figures (correctly) that no-one will bother hunting through all of his previous posts to provide him with evidence that everyone already knows is true, including him. And if they do, he gets the satisfaction of wasting their time, and then ignoring the evidence anyway.

Comment

ETA - just for kicks:

Here you go Shuny:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post423758

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              ETA - just for kicks:

Here you go Shuny:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post423758
              Just for kicks?!?!?!

There was nothing misleading nor off the make on my references. The references refer to the development of Methodological Naturalism, and not Methodological Naturalism as it is practiced in modern science. It was a disagreement between me and seer, nothing new, concerning seer's assertion that Methodological Naturalism is the same as Philosophical Naturalism.

The fact that seer selectively rejects science, and Methodological Naturalism unless it agrees with his Theist agenda comes into play here.

Originally posted by shunyadragon
              Actually this is true the development of Methodological Naturalism did in fact reject the assumptions of Theist Teleology, which previously western science was based on Theist Teleological assumptions. Likewise Utilitarian Teleology and NMN developed to explain morals and ethics as having non-Theist explanations of origins, and rejected Theist Teleological assumptions.

It is obvious that if you propose a non-Theist explanation for anything in our physical existence, you will, of course, reject Theist Teleological explanations.
              For example: Theist Teleological explanations for the Biblical flood and Noah's Arc, versus the non-Theist explanation for the physical evidence.
              Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-11-2017, 06:35 AM.
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Just for kicks?!?!?!

There was nothing misleading nor off the make on my references. The references refer to the development of Methodological Naturalism, and not Methodological Naturalism as it is practiced in modern science. It was a disagreement between me and seer, nothing new, concerning seer's assertion that Methodological Naturalism is the same as Philosophical Naturalism.

The fact that seer selectively rejects science, and Methodological Naturalism unless it agrees with his Theist agenda comes into play here.

For example: Theist Teleological explanations for the Biblical flood and Noah's Arc, versus the non-Theist explanation for the physical evidence.
                Shuny stop fibbing. In the discussion that Sparko linked we were arguing about ethics, the link you used had nothing to do with ethics. Because it had the word utilitarian you took that to mean utilitarian ethics, where it was actually speaking of the scientific process. You just grabbed a link that had nothing to do with the discussion, a link you yourself did not understand.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Shuny stop fibbing. In the discussion that Sparko linked we were arguing about ethics, the link you used had nothing to do with ethics. Because it had the word utilitarian you took that to mean utilitarian ethics, where it was actually speaking of the scientific process. You just grabbed a link that had nothing to do with the discussion, a link you yourself did not understand.
                  No problem, science is indeed 'utilitarian,' and makes no assumptions, hypothesis nor theories for philosophical/theological beliefs not supported by physical verifiable evidence.

Science does not deal with the subjective anecdotal claims of Theology and Philosophy that cannot be falsified by theories and hypothesis, but through studies of neurology, anthropology, and behavioral sciences, science can deal with the objective basis of morals and ethics.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 06-12-2017, 08:28 AM.

Frank

Comment

No problem, science is indeed 'utilitarian,' and makes no assumptions, hypothesis nor theories for philosophical/theological beliefs not supported by physical verifiable evidence.

Science does not deal with the subjective anecdotal claims of Theology and Philosophy that cannot be falsified by theories and hypothesis, but through studies of neurology, anthropology, and behavioral sciences, science can deal with the objective basis of morals and ethics.
                    What do you mean no problem? The point was and is that your quote in the other thread had nothing to do with what we were discussing at the time. And anyone can go back and see that that is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      What do you mean no problem? The point was and is that your quote in the other thread had nothing to do with what we were discussing at the time. And anyone can go back and see that that is the case.
                      that is why I said "just for kicks" because I already knew it was a wasted effort. Shuny just asks for cites as a way to pretend to be scholarly, but what he is really doing is hoping the person will think it is too much trouble and go away. And even when presented with cites, Shuny merely hand waves them away. That is why I just did it for kicks, not expecting Shuny to actually own up to his actions of just using the first google result he finds.

Comment