Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

3D Printing: Real Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Printing: Real Estate

You're probably aware of 3D printing by now. My question: What implication will 3D printing have on the global real estate market? Will 3D printing sound the death knell for real estate investors, flippers, and speculators?

1)

2)

see some problems. Like how do you get wiring and plumbing in the 3D printed concrete walls?

Also basically it is just 3D printed outsides, the interiors and the wiring and all that has to be done by hand. I am sure it is easier, faster and cheaper to just mass produce exterior walls in a factory and just slap them together to build an exterior than to have a robot build the walls out of concrete toothpaste.

People have been making modular homes for decades now. We call them "mobile homes"

so no, I don't think this will catch on or take over the real estate market any time soon.

Comment

My son-in-law works for a developer, and right now he is using 3-D printing to have scale models made of all the houses that are available by this developer.

They are amazing! Roofs come off and insides are as the house looks in real life!

As for real houses, who knows?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        My son-in-law works for a developer, and right now he is using 3-D printing to have scale models made of all the houses that are available by this developer.

They are amazing! Roofs come off and insides are as the house looks in real life!

As for real houses, who knows?
        This area of endeavor for 3D printing is still in it's infancy, but basic "real houses" are already being constructed at a rapid pace. I think this technology could be the way forward for affordable (and luxury) housing on a global scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          see some problems. Like how do you get wiring and plumbing in the 3D printed concrete walls?
          The first video demonstrated this can be done.

Also basically it is just 3D printed outsides
          With the efficiency of these "printers", I think that's a big deal.

the interiors and the wiring and all that has to be done by hand.
          That's true, but these machines will replace workers like brick layers, etc.

I am sure it is easier, faster and cheaper to just mass produce exterior walls in a factory and just slap them together to build an exterior than to have a robot build the walls out of concrete toothpaste.
          What makes you so sure?

People have been making modular homes for decades now. We call them "mobile homes"
          ?

so no, I don't think this will catch on or take over the real estate market any time soon.
          If those are your reasons, I think you've got some more investigating to conduct.

Comment

How do 3D printed concrete houses stand up to significant earth quakes?
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              How do 3D printed concrete houses stand up to significant earth quakes?
              Architect(s) of Beijing-based firm Huashang Tengda claim that their 3D printed mansion can withstand an earthquake of 8.0 magnitude.
              Last edited by Scrawly; 06-01-2017, 10:14 PM.

Comment

If 3D printed homes continue to increase in popularity, I would like to know the ramifications this will have on the real estate market world wide. Will the valuation of traditional real estate plummet with the rise of this new technology? What of landlords and renters? Say a Vancouver-based landlord owns 2 homes and rents both out for $2000 per month, can such a scenario continue to play out if 3D printed homes start to crop up in Vancouver? Wouldn't the renters just choose to own their own place for the cost of 1 or 2 years rent (or perhaps 3D printed apartments could be constructed for pennies on the dollar thereby significantly lowering rent for renters)?

Do you think this technology has the potential to shake up the global real estate market to the extent that traditional real estate investing (becoming a landlord/owning turnkey properties) will become an unprofitable enterprise?

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                  The first video demonstrated this can be done.

With the efficiency of these "printers", I think that's a big deal.

That's true, but these machines will replace workers like brick layers, etc.

What makes you so sure?

?

If those are your reasons, I think you've got some more investigating to conduct.
                  Google Modular and Prefab Homes. They basically build homes in pieces and bulk and then you just order the modules you want and they ship them to you and assemble them on your lot. Mobile homes like double-wides and trailers are done even quicker - basically pour a footer and deliver the home. The factories that manufacture the modules use both humans and robots to make the modules. They are pre-wired and plumbed and finished. It is just plug-and-play.

In fact most 3D-printed items can be done faster and cheaper using conventional manufacturing methods. The advantage in 3D Printing is in making prototypes and customized products because it eliminates all of the design testing and setup (creating molds, production lines, etc) - but once you have your manufacturing set up, they can outpace 3D printing for anything produced in bulk.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                    If 3D printed homes continue to increase in popularity, I would like to know the ramifications this will have on the real estate market world wide. Will the valuation of traditional real estate plummet with the rise of this new technology? What of landlords and renters? Say a Vancouver-based landlord owns 2 homes and rents both out for $2000 per month, can such a scenario continue to play out if 3D printed homes start to crop up in Vancouver? Wouldn't the renters just choose to own their own place for the cost of 1 or 2 years rent (or perhaps 3D printed apartments could be constructed for pennies on the dollar thereby significantly lowering rent for renters)?

Do you think this technology has the potential to shake up the global real estate market to the extent that traditional real estate investing (becoming a landlord/owning turnkey properties) will become an unprofitable enterprise?
                    Even if it works out like you are thinking (fast cheap homes) I don't think it will affect the real estate market that much. These things look cheap and crappy. People will still want quality built homes done by builders. This MIGHT be able to replace the mobile home market, but that is not real estate. Other than buying a lot to put your mobile home on, or renting a lot in a trailer park.

I think the real market for something like this is in 3rd world countries where they can build affordable housing in places where it is impossible to ship materials (or modules) to. They could build on site with just concrete and some wiring.

Comment

I see this as experimental work. Who knows. So far its more expensive than traditional methods, but maybe they can get the price down without enough automation, and if they make the machines work with more materials than merely wet concrete?

I agree with Sparko that for the forseeable future traditional building methods are going to rule. Though this is still an interesting development to follow. We'll see where it goes.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X