Announcement

Collapse

Islam Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Islam. This forum is generally for theists only, and is not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theist may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Justice and mercy with God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siam View Post
    "If one choose to follow what is evil than that person contends with those who live within it. That being a different world with its own rules and what proceeds from it (evil). "

"our unrighteousness brings out God’s righteousness more clearly,"

"Evil is not possible without good."

It is possible I am misunderstanding---but it almost sounds Zoroastrian/Manichean? 2 metaphysical forces, one is the force of good the other is the force of evil? God is the force of good but human beings are the force of evil...?... or are possessed by the force of evil...or...?....a devil-man = humanity and God-man = Jesus Christ....

What is the Christian understanding of evil and/or Satan?
    Evil is not a thing, rather it is the negation or deprivation of good. God being infinitely good and the Creator. When God created temporal and finite good things - God made it so evil is possible for His good purposes.

Now Satan is what has become of an entity who rebelled against against God. And satan is anyone or anything against another.
    Last edited by 37818; 06-13-2017, 08:05 AM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      Evil is not a thing, rather it is the negation or deprivation of good. God being infinitely good and the Creator. When God created temporal and finite good things - God made it so evil is possible for His good purposes.

Now Satan is what has become of an entity who rebelled against against God. And satan is anyone or anything against another.
      OK...I can understand this explanation.
      ...So there is no such thing/entity as infinite evil?...correct?...so as Marta explained previously, Man/human nature has the potential for good/bad (Yetzer hara, Yetzer hatov)

---God is infinite Good (only)
      ---Good/Evil come from God (Divine presence/lack of Divine presence))
      ---Man is finite and has the potential for good/bad (Yetzer hara, Yetzer hatov)
      ---Man is good but can do bad (lack of Divine presence)
      ---therefore there is sin.

Did I get this right?
      The degree of good/bad on human nature is controlled by God (presence/lack of presence)?

"Satan is what has become of an entity who rebelled against against God."---this sounds very Islamic---I can agree to it.
      "And satan is anyone or anything against another."---Sounds similar to the Islamic idea of Shirk (Division).

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
        OK...I can understand this explanation.
        ...So there is no such thing/entity as infinite evil?...correct?...so as Marta explained previously, Man/human nature has the potential for good/bad (Yetzer hara, Yetzer hatov)

---God is infinite Good (only)
        ---Good/Evil come from God (Divine presence/lack of Divine presence))
        ---Man is finite and has the potential for good/bad (Yetzer hara, Yetzer hatov)
        ---Man is good but can do bad (lack of Divine presence)
        ---therefore there is sin.

Did I get this right?
        What was left out, was what I did not repeat. The knowledge of good and evil which we inherit from our first parents is the cause of our "sinful nature." We are not infinite like God in our goodness. The knowledge of evil causes our failure and the knowledge of good makes us self condemned before a holy infinite good God.
        The degree of good/bad on human nature is controlled by God (presence/lack of presence)?
        Not exactly. God is omnipresent (Acts 17:28, "In Him we live move and have our being.") So our little sin is done before a holy God. God requires death for sin (Ezekiel 18:20). God in His mercy provided that payment (Hebrew Bible Isaiah 53:6). The sacrifices given in the Hebrew Law (Deuteronomy 27:26) was required of the Jews until the Messiah (Isaiah 53:6) fulfilled what God counted as being already done. (Abraham's faith in God's promise). In which God cannot lie (Christian letter Titus 1:2).

"Satan is what has become of an entity who rebelled against against God."---this sounds very Islamic---I can agree to it.
        "And satan is anyone or anything against another."---Sounds similar to the Islamic idea of Shirk (Division).
        Does not Islam claim to be of the faith of Abraham (as found in the Hebrew book of Genesis [15:6])?
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X