Big, Empty Buildings and the Cross of Christ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big, Empty Buildings and the Cross of Christ

I love architecture. I love historic buildings. I looooove exploring big old churches. So no, I'm not complaining that we build big buildings.

But why are they empty 6 out of 7 days? Okay, 5 out of 7 for those with Wednesday night programs... Still, most of the time, other than at most a few staffers and at worst whatever insects let themselves in, NO ONE is there! We build a lot of houses for God but then only visit once a week - if convenient.

This. Is. Dumb.

This. Is. Wrong.

This. Doesn't. Have. To. Be.

In a world absolutely starving for spiritual food and desperately seeking solutions to the same age old problems, we are sitting on a gold mine and a powder keg - and refuse to open either one. Meet the needs - roll up the sleeves - SERVE - and see what happens when we show them the Spirit moving in us.

We DO have the time. We DO have the money and we most certainly DO have the resources. What we don't have is the sense to put the horse in front of the cart. You make money in this world best by finding the need and filling it - Early Christianity Marketing 101. There are sooooo many needs and sooo many of us sitting in the pews that CAN meet them and CAN make a difference...

But we sit in big empty buildings.

It's time to change. First on the knee, then up with those shirt sleeves.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

They could rent it out as a gambling hall during the week. Bingo!!

Comment

I'm not sure what you're trying to get across here. We should be in the church more often? We should serve in the church more often? We should serve outside the church more often? We should figure out ways to use the building when we're not holding services? We should get more people in the building? We should use smaller buildings?
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The megachurch that I used to go to has stuff going on all day long. They have various classes and daycare and community events, youth activities, etc. It's like a community center.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I'm not sure what you're trying to get across here. We should be in the church more often? We should serve in the church more often? We should serve outside the church more often? We should figure out ways to use the building when we're not holding services? We should get more people in the building? We should use smaller buildings?
          Big buildings are a resource - and so are those folks sitting in the pews. I think we should use BOTH much more purposefully than we do.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

They could rent out the churches to atheists during the week. Then lock them in and pray for them till they convert.

Comment

I'm thinking something more productive than that.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment