Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Some Thoughts On God's Will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Thoughts On God's Will

What does it mean to be finding the will of God?

The link can be found here.

------

What does it mean to be in the will of God? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I recently had someone contact me with apologetics questions and the discussion turned to the will of God. I wanted to know what they meant by being in the will of God. I would like to share some of my own thoughts because I think this is something that is often misunderstood in our culture where we are incredibly individualistic and think all about ourselves.

We often treat the will of God as if it's this secret map hidden in the mind of God and you have to go and discover what it is based on little clues that God gives you. Those clues could be what someone else tells you or a feeling you have or a sense of urgency about something. You're also supposed to think that God is constantly trying to communicate this to you. Oh if only you were really listening!

That's really a form of divination that way. It's trying to know something secret in the mind of God that has not been revealed. It's the kind of knowledge that we're not supposed to be looking for. There is nothing about this in Scripture. You won't find any passage on how to hear the voice of God. The closest we get is the still small voice of Elijah, which communicated no words at all and do I need to remind you that this was a one-time thing and that you are not Elijah?

In fact, if you want to know the will of God for your life, I can tell you what it is right now. It's simple. The will of God for your life is to conform you to the likeness of Christ. You are to be an ambassador for the Kingdom of God spreading the Kingdom.

Yes. But who am I supposed to marry? What job am I supposed to have? Am I supposed to go to school? Where am I supposed to live?

These are all good questions to ask, but they're not questions that you're supposed to find a secret answer to. Here are some better questions that you are to ask.

For marriage, first off, do you really want to marry? Not everyone does. Some people will be happily single, and that's okay. (Please stop thinking there's something wrong with every person who is single. You can be a complete person and be single, but if you want to marry, that's fine too.)

Next question. What kind of person should you marry if you choose to? You do have some Biblical criteria. They first need to be a Christian. Second, you have to marry someone of the opposite sex. Then you can narrow it down from there. What age do you want? What type of personality? Things of that sort.

Then we get to a question that seldom gets asked. It's often asked who is the right person for you. The next question is are you being the right person for someone else? What kind of spouse would you be? What kind of spouse should you be? It's better to work on that before you get married instead of getting married and then having to work on that.

We could go on with this to the other questions. It's not where should you work. It's really "What kind of worker are you going to be?" It's not where are you going to live. It's "What kind of citizen are you going to be?" Notice that these questions are now about what you are doing for others. They're not about what others are doing for you.

In this, you also have great freedom. You don't have to go into full-time ministry to serve God for instance. God needs construction workers, teachers, bus drivers, doctors, lawyers, librarians, etc. Do something that you can do with passion and enjoy and you're also good at. That's giving God the best service that you have.

Ultimately, when you think of the will of God, it's not a big secret. It's about being the right kind of person. Of course, some moral questions are tough. Of course, you should seek advice from others in what they think is good for you, but don't live in fear if you choose to live in Baltimore that maybe God wanted you to live in Tulsa. God can use you wherever you are. Don't be so arrogant as to think you've ruined God's plan entirely. You don't have that kind of power.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Amen is not strong enough for my agreement with this. I am often distressed by the "God has some secret will for my life that I must divine for myself." God has revealed enough for us in His written revelation.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I am most impressed.
      I remember hearing once that the thing humans fear most is the future they will never have. Why fish for some winsome future when one can find eternity in christ?
      sigpic

Comment