Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Noah's Ark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noah's Ark?

Yesterday, I was sitting out on my enclosed patio looking out at the lake while the rain was pouring down, it was the second straight day of constant downpour to a degree to which I had never seen before. The lake after the rains stopped rose, in my estimate, about 4 feet, turning a good portion of my yard into the lake. As I was sitting there in the downpour I began to think about the biblical Noah and the 40 days and 40 nights of rain and realized that even if it had rained as much each day in those 40 days as it did these last 2 days, approximately 2 feet a day, that would only be 80 feet of water, which would be no where near enough to cover the entire earth, not even close. Then I wondered well, what if it rained twice as much or 10 times, or even twenty times as much and realized that that would still not flood the entire earth. Then I realized, though I haven't looked at the data at all, that there is not even enough water on the earth or in its atmosphere to even do the job.
    Now, of course, as I'm sure most of you know, I never believed the story to be literal truth in the first place, but for those of you who do, what do you think. Where did all that water come from, and where did it go? And how could an Ark survive what would had to have been a waterfall pouring down on it for 40 days?

You do realize that there is probably MORE water underground than in the oceans, right? Probably way more than enough to flood the earth.

fyi: http://www.iflscience.com/environmen...s-earths-core/

Gen 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, on the seventeenth day of the second month—on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. 12 And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      You do realize that there is probably MORE water underground than in the oceans, right? Probably way more than enough to flood the earth.

Gen 7:11 In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, on the seventeenth day of the second month—on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth, and the floodgates of the heavens were opened. 12 And rain fell on the earth forty days and forty nights.
      So all that water was sitting around deep underground in this sponge-like rock, then one day it all decides to go to the surface (a trip of 400 miles), and hang around there for a year, before heading back down below.

Want to talk us through the mechanics of that, Sparko?
      My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Yesterday, I was sitting out on my enclosed patio looking out at the lake while the rain was pouring down, it was the second straight day of constant downpour to a degree to which I had never seen before. The lake after the rains stopped rose, in my estimate, about 4 feet, turning a good portion of my yard into the lake. As I was sitting there in the downpour I began to think about the biblical Noah and the 40 days and 40 nights of rain and realized that even if it had rained as much each day in those 40 days as it did these last 2 days, approximately 2 feet a day, that would only be 80 feet of water, which would be no where near enough to cover the entire earth, not even close. Then I wondered well, what if it rained twice as much or 10 times, or even twenty times as much and realized that that would still not flood the entire earth. Then I realized, though I haven't looked at the data at all, that there is not even enough water on the earth or in its atmosphere to even do the job.
        Now, of course, as I'm sure most of you know, I never believed the story to be literal truth in the first place, but for those of you who do, what do you think. Where did all that water come from, and where did it go? And how could an Ark survive what would had to have been a waterfall pouring down on it for 40 days?
        I'm just glad God's got you thinking about His book!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Dang it. I meant to report 's post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Okay, first off, since we're accepting (for the sake of argument) that the story is factually true, we need to look at the story itself. As Sparky already indicated, the story tells us that the water did not come solely from atmospheric and open ground sources. Since the amount of water necessary does exist, that problem is dealt with in both parts.

Pixie asks a fair question about mechanics - but has the wrong underlying assumption. Mechanics are no limitation on an All Powerful God - so if we are accepting the story as factual, this is a non-issue. God did it is sufficient.

FYI: that doesn't mean we (general) can't consider mechanics - as Christians we (Christians) find that God frequently leaves the how discover-able which doesn't diminish the glory of having done it at all. It's perfectly fair to wonder how it was done - it's merely foolish to assume because we don't know how it must not have happened.

The best research on the Ark suggests that it was built as described - a big floating box. Scale models do extremely well in rough seas - they can't be steered but the Ark wasn't ever supposed to be steered, judging from the account. Nothing in the account gives any indication of Noah even trying to steer the Ark.

Also, pitch is pretty danged resistant to water erosion so between that and the heavy timbers, I don't see much of an issue for it to survive the deluge itself.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Water molecules were much bigger in olden days.
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Okay, though still theoretical I believe, it is interesting. But that doesn't solve the problem. The water, to the extent that it exists, would be trapped by gravity 400 miles beneath the surface of the earth. Other than that, the Oceans make up 96.5 % of the entire earths water according to the USGS, and that doesn't leave much water left for lakes, rivers, or rain, not nearly enough to flood the entire earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                  Just like you were much bigger in the olden days - almost human size!
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
                    So all that water was sitting around deep underground in this sponge-like rock, then one day it all decides to go to the surface (a trip of 400 miles), and hang around there for a year, before heading back down below.

God-did-it. The bible tells us so.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      Pixie asks a fair question about mechanics - but has the wrong underlying assumption. Mechanics are no limitation on an All Powerful God - so if we are accepting the story as factual, this is a non-issue. God did it is sufficient.
                      Fair comment. It is not unreasonable to say God created the water before hand and destroyed it all afterwards. Strange how much effort creations expend trying to account for it all then

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-ai...loodwater.html
                      https://answersingenesis.org/kids/no...ter-the-flood/

And of course, Sparko's post is likewise trying to find some mundane explanation for where all the water went.
                      My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

FYI: that doesn't mean we (general) can't consider mechanics - as Christians we (Christians) find that God frequently leaves the how discover-able which doesn't diminish the glory of having done it at all. It's perfectly fair to wonder how it was done - it's merely foolish to assume because we don't know how it must not have happened.
                        Even granted that an all-powerful deity can cause a world wide flood if he so chooses, a world-wide deluge, such as described in Genesis, is incompatible with a modern understanding of natural history, especially geology and paleontology. IOW there's no evidence that it occurred.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post

1. It isn't in sponge like rock.
                          2. It would take a long time to drain that much water back down.

3. It didn't happen by accident. If the narrative is true, then God is real and he flooded the earth. duh. You are trying to dismiss a miracle by claiming it doesn't work according to natural laws. well derp. It's a miracle.
                          Last edited by Sparko; 06-08-2017, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                            No. You are thinking of ice. That is why ice floats. The water molecules joint together in a bigger way.
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

1. It isn't in sponge like rock.
                              2. It would take a long time to drain that much water back down.

3. It didn't happen by accident. If the narrative is true, then God is real and he flooded the earth. duh. You are trying to dismiss a miracle by claiming it doesn't work according to natural laws. well derp. It's a miracle.
                              Then why even bring up the theory of oceans of water 400 miles deep in the earth?

Comment