Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Comey's testimony publicly released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    I'm a tepid Trump supporter at best (most times, he needs to just shut his pie hole), but you're simply being asinine here. That's a pretty low bar, and he's abundantly cleared it. For evidence, recall his takedown of Ted Cruz.
    I don't think I have to give Trump credit for much of anything except assembling a team that can coach well. That's a bar I'll grant he can clear. The rest of his work seems to be diarrhea of the mouth, usually via twitter.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      It's a lot easier to amass a fortune when you take over your dad's. It's also not as if growing his fortune was done by him alone.
      It's pretty easy to blow a fortune when you take over your dad's. And nobody claimed he did it all alone.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        It's pretty easy to blow a fortune when you take over your dad's. And nobody claimed he did it all alone.
        Sure. Neither case makes him smart, which is what you're claiming. Not doing it alone makes it even less necessary for him to be smart.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Sure. Neither case makes him smart, which is what you're claiming. Not doing it alone makes it even less necessary for him to be smart.
          I think your intense disdain of him has colored your usual objective observation, C. The guy can't be stupid and do what he's done. He didn't get to be POTUS by being a dummy.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think your intense disdain of him has colored your usual objective observation, C. The guy can't be stupid and do what he's done. He didn't get to be POTUS by being a dummy.
            I fundamentally disagree that a person can't get to be POTUS and be stupid. An election team is like any company: you can have a lot of competent, skilled workers that make an outcome despite the general ineptness of the CEO. I just got out of a company that functions exactly like that. These days, you don't need a skilled candidate so much as you need a skilled marketing team. That's what the election is these days, anyway: marketing.

As for intense disdain, you're reading way too much emotion into my words. I don't even dislike the guy. I think he was a moronic choice for President, but he's doing exactly what I expected him to do. The guy is good at what he does, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's smart or that he's suited to the job he's been given. He acts and talks like a CEO. That's what he is. Marketing and spin (branding) is what he's known for, so it's no surprise he's doing more of the same. That's not what we need in the Oval Office, though. That's supposed to be the one position chosen by the entire country to act for the entire country. Instead, we put in a guy that acts first for himself and second for his 'friends' (i.e., those who can do him favors).

If I have any disdain, it's for people who genuinely thought this guy was a good choice. I know he was a "hold your nose" vote for you, and that I can respect. I couldn't stand Hilary, either, for what it's worth.
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I fundamentally disagree that a person can't get to be POTUS and be stupid. An election team is like any company: you can have a lot of competent, skilled workers that make an outcome despite the general ineptness of the CEO. I just got out of a company that functions exactly like that. These days, you don't need a skilled candidate so much as you need a skilled marketing team. That's what the election is these days, anyway: marketing.
              But, in so many instances, he went AGAINST his advisors and used his own "smarts". Like it or not, the guy made it against all odds, and it wasn't because the RNC was cheering him on.

As for intense disdain, you're reading way too much emotion into my words.
              My apologies. As I noted, you're usually not very "emotional" in your... noted.

I don't even dislike the guy. I think he was a moronic choice for President, but he's doing exactly what I expected him to do. The guy is good at what he does, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's smart or that he's suited to the job he's been given. He acts and talks like a CEO. That's what he is. Marketing and spin (branding) is what he's known for, so it's no surprise he's doing more of the same. That's not what we need in the Oval Office, though. That's supposed to be the one position chosen by the entire country to act for the entire country. Instead, we put in a guy that acts first for himself and second for his 'friends' (i.e., those who can do him favors).
              Maybe we have different definitions of "smart" -- maybe I'm thinking more "street smart" and you're thinking more "intellectually" smart.

If I have any disdain, it's for people who genuinely thought this guy was a good choice.
              I thought he was a less horrible choice.

I know he was a "hold your nose" vote for you, and that I can respect. I couldn't stand Hilary, either, for what it's worth.
              To me, it was (and I have said this repeatedly) more about SCOTUS and religious liberty than it was the candidate. With Trump, there was at least a glimmer of hope, and on that, he proved "good".

Comment

But, in so many instances, he went AGAINST his advisors and used his own "smarts". Like it or not, the guy made it against all odds, and it wasn't because the RNC was cheering him on.
                Sure, but that's kinda why I said "despite the CEO". The team can compensate if they know what they're doing. AFAICT, a lot of his success was targeting the right demographics. No one was looking where Trump's team was looking, and he capitalized on it.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                My apologies. As I noted, you're usually not very "emotional" in your... noted.
                No worries.

Maybe we have different definitions of "smart" -- maybe I'm thinking more "street smart" and you're thinking more "intellectually" smart.
                Let's call it shrewd vs smart, perhaps? I get what you're saying, though, and I generally agree. I definitely think he's street smart. BUT...I also think he says whatever is going to make him look the best, in his opinion, at that moment in time. In the context of mentioning tapes to Comey, I think that's more of the same. Claims that Trump was intentionally trolling don't seem to fit his MO.

I thought he was a less horrible choice.

To me, it was (and I have said this repeatedly) more about SCOTUS and religious liberty than it was the candidate. With Trump, there was at least a glimmer of hope, and on that, he proved "good".
                Right. To be fair, I hoped his cabinet selections wouldn't turn out to be so crony. I was hoping he was good enough to pick good, qualified individuals for the positions. That's the biggest disappointment for me, so far.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment