Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Humans around longer than thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shunyadragon: I've been reading up on it. Thanks for the link. Things have changed a bit since the last time I investigated.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      I posted the definition for "spontaneous generation" not for "abiogenesis." I couldn't have deliberately elided the definition for "abiogenesis" for simple cause that I hadn't posted any definition for abiogenesis at that point.
      In a later post, I posted the definitions for abiogenesis - which did show that there were differences.

'nuff said.
      I didn't accuse you of dishonesty, I showed where you had been dishonest. Now you are quote-mining me.
      You're also denying that you had in fact elided the 2nd definition of abiogenesis from post #20 in your post #21.

Maybe one day you'll have enough integrity to admit it, and to admit that this:
      The SCIENCE of biology declares spontaneous generation to be a discredited hypothesis.
      The evolution FAITHERS declare biologists wrong.
      is garbage. Until then, sayonara.
      Last edited by Roy; 06-13-2017, 09:28 AM.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        I didn't accuse you of dishonesty, I showed where you had been dishonest. Now you are quote-mining me.
        You're also denying that you had in fact elided the 2nd definition of abiogenesis from post #20 in your post #21.

Maybe one day you'll have enough integrity to admit it, and to admit that this:is garbage. Until then, sayonara.
        The first time I posted a definition for ABIOGENESIS was in post 25.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The first time I posted a definition for ABIOGENESIS was in post 25.
          False. In #21 you posted half of the definition I'd supplied previously.
          Originally posted by tabibito, in post 21
          *noun: abiogenesis - the original evolution of life or living organisms from inorganic or inanimate substances.

No problem with that definition ...
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

That was no more than a quote from your post#20 - and it is hardly believable that you don't know it.
            Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Yes, it can.

Abiogenesis can also refer to modern theories on the origin of life, which are very very different from the discredited 19th Century ideas about mice being spontaneously generated in grain silos.

If you'd bothered to think about this, or even bothered to look up the definition of 'abiogenesis',* you might have realised that the two statements are actually compatible, that 'abiogenesis' has two distinct meanings, that you are equating them, and that your contention that the discreditation of spontaneous generation has any effect at all on modern theories on the origin of life is false.

You are propagating a lie. Do you care?

*noun: abiogenesis - the original evolution of life or living organisms from inorganic or inanimate substances.
            •historical - another term for spontaneous generation.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

That was no more than a quote from your post#20 - and it is hardly believable that you don't know it.
              Of course I know it. It doesn't mean that you didn't post it. I also know that you omitted the 2nd part of the definition stating that the association between 'abiogenesis' and 'spontaneous generation' was historical, and then immediately equated 'abiogenesis' with 'spontaneous generation'. The fact that you were eliding half of a definition I originally posted rather than eliding half of a definition you found yourself doesn't make you any less culpable. It neatly skewers your claim that "I couldn't have deliberately elided the definition for "abiogenesis" for simple cause that I hadn't posted any definition for abiogenesis at that point" though.

You are now not only propagating a lie, you are enabling it.

I can't be bothered with this any more. You're making false claims about what you did and didn't write, and not even considering taking any responsibility for or retracting your falsehoods.
              Last edited by Roy; 06-13-2017, 10:37 AM.

Comment

POST 21

No problem with that definition - it is when people claim that abiogenesis is part of the theory of evolution that the problem arises.

or claim that "abiogenesis" does not mean "spontaneous generation," or that using the term "spontaneous generation" is somehow invalid.

Post 22
                Originally posted by Roy
                I see you have dishonestly deleted the other definition of abiogenesis: •historical - another term for spontaneous generation
                Post 23
                Originally posted by tabibito
                ROFL - I used the primary definition. Alternative definitions that weren't relevant weren't posted. Particularly *historical* - the discussion was not about historical use of the term.
                Post 24 Post by Roy

That's when I thought that the difficulty was in the difference between the words being defined.

Post 25 I looked up ABIOGENESIS and posted the results.

That post would have satisfied anyone that didn't get his kicks from engaging in slander.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment