Thread: Jehovah's Witnesses translation of John 1

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Jehovah's Witnesses translation of John 1

According to Jehovah's Witnesses John 1 should read:

“In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.” (John 1:1)

Are they right? Are they wrong? Please explain.

Thank you.

Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The Jehovah's Witness translation of the Bible is one of the worst in existence.
    For a summary see: http://www.towerwatch.com/Witnesses/...ranslation.htm

No actual scholars take it seriously - including non-believing scholars.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

3. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    The Jehovah's Witness translation of the Bible is one of the worst in existence.
    For a summary see: http://www.towerwatch.com/Witnesses/...ranslation.htm

No actual scholars take it seriously - including non-believing scholars.
    Thank you. Every so many weeks a Johovah's Witness shows up at my door with a pamphlet of information. I usually thank them and they leave, but the last time they arrived I spoke to them and asked a few questions. From that conversation, I knew something was wrong with their theology and interpretation of Scriptures.

So, I told the lady that the next time she showed up at my door I would have something in writing for her to read.

I read the pamphlet -- what a mess!

I'm putting it all together now.

Thanks for your help.

Faith
    circular balloonist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    Thank you. Every so many weeks a Johovah's Witness shows up at my door with a pamphlet of information. I usually thank them and they leave, but the last time they arrived I spoke to them and asked a few questions. From that conversation, I knew something was wrong with their theology and interpretation of Scriptures.

So, I told the lady that the next time she showed up at my door I would have something in writing for her to read.

I read the pamphlet -- what a mess!

I'm putting it all together now.

Thanks for your help.
    You may want to research common rebuttals to the information you're going to provide.
    I don't know what they are, but I imagine they get hit with this tactic from time to time.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ed Dalcour has a good article on it too. http://www.christiandefense.org/jw_nwt.htm

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This video was recommend to me by friend and ex-Jehovah's Witness

. . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Ed Dalcour has a good article on it too. http://www.christiandefense.org/jw_nwt.htm
    First glance -- great resource.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    This video was recommend to me by friend and ex-Jehovah's Witness

great video.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here is what you ask the JW's.

How many True Gods are there? (The bible teaches there is only one TRUE God and any other God is a false god)

If Jesus is "A" god, is he a True God or a False God?

If he is a True God, and there is only one True God, then he must be the same God as Jehovah.

If he is a false god, then we should not follow him or his teachings.

One rejoinder that they will use is that Moses is called god in the OT. But he was not. He was said to be "as God"

Exodus 4:16 “Moreover, he shall speak for you to the people; and he will be as a mouth for you and you will be as God to him.
    Exodus 7:1 Then the Lord said to Moses, “See, I make you as God to Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron shall be your prophet.

Meaning moses was not "a god" but represented God to the Aaron and Pharaoh. It is figurative. If John 1:1 is translated correctly in their bible, then it is saying Jesus is LITERALLY a god.

---

As far as the translation goes, it is incorrect. Here are a few links for more detailed information:

https://www.jashow.org/articles/gues...s-and-john-11/
    https://carm.org/john-1-1-word-was-god

https://carm.org/john-1-1-word-was-god

11. Amen tabibito, Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Let's hope they don't cotton onto Jesus' comment "you are gods, and the scripture cannot be broken."
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων