Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Jehovah's Witnesses translation of John 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jehovah's Witnesses translation of John 1

According to Jehovah's Witnesses John 1 should read:

“In the beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.” (John 1:1)

Are they right? Are they wrong? Please explain.

Thank you.

The Jehovah's Witness translation of the Bible is one of the worst in existence.
    For a summary see: http://www.towerwatch.com/Witnesses/...ranslation.htm

No actual scholars take it seriously - including non-believing scholars.
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      The Jehovah's Witness translation of the Bible is one of the worst in existence.
      For a summary see: http://www.towerwatch.com/Witnesses/...ranslation.htm

No actual scholars take it seriously - including non-believing scholars.
      Thank you. Every so many weeks a Johovah's Witness shows up at my door with a pamphlet of information. I usually thank them and they leave, but the last time they arrived I spoke to them and asked a few questions. From that conversation, I knew something was wrong with their theology and interpretation of Scriptures.

So, I told the lady that the next time she showed up at my door I would have something in writing for her to read.

I read the pamphlet -- what a mess!

I'm putting it all together now.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
        Thank you. Every so many weeks a Johovah's Witness shows up at my door with a pamphlet of information. I usually thank them and they leave, but the last time they arrived I spoke to them and asked a few questions. From that conversation, I knew something was wrong with their theology and interpretation of Scriptures.

So, I told the lady that the next time she showed up at my door I would have something in writing for her to read.

I read the pamphlet -- what a mess!

I'm putting it all together now.

Thanks for your help.
        You may want to research common rebuttals to the information you're going to provide.
        I don't know what they are, but I imagine they get hit with this tactic from time to time.
        Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Ed Dalcour has a good article on it too. http://www.christiandefense.org/jw_nwt.htm
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

This video was recommend to me by friend and ex-Jehovah's Witness

. . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              Ed Dalcour has a good article on it too. http://www.christiandefense.org/jw_nwt.htm
              First glance -- great resource.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                This video was recommend to me by friend and ex-Jehovah's Witness

great video.

Comment

Here is what you ask the JW's.

How many True Gods are there? (The bible teaches there is only one TRUE God and any other God is a false god)

If Jesus is "A" god, is he a True God or a False God?

If he is a True God, and there is only one True God, then he must be the same God as Jehovah.

If he is a false god, then we should not follow him or his teachings.

One rejoinder that they will use is that Moses is called god in the OT. But he was not. He was said to be "as God"

Exodus 4:16 “Moreover, he shall speak for you to the people; and he will be as a mouth for you and you will be as God to him.
                  Exodus 7:1 Then the Lord said to Moses, “See, I make you as God to Pharaoh, and your brother Aaron shall be your prophet.

Meaning moses was not "a god" but represented God to the Aaron and Pharaoh. It is figurative. If John 1:1 is translated correctly in their bible, then it is saying Jesus is LITERALLY a god.

---

As far as the translation goes, it is incorrect. Here are a few links for more detailed information:

https://www.jashow.org/articles/gues...s-and-john-11/
                  https://carm.org/john-1-1-word-was-god

https://carm.org/john-1-1-word-was-god

Comment

Let's hope they don't cotton onto Jesus' comment "you are gods, and the scripture cannot be broken."
                    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                    Scripture before Tradition:
                    but that won't prevent others from
                    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      Let's hope they don't cotton onto Jesus' comment "you are gods, and the scripture cannot be broken."
                      easily handled. In psalm 82, which Jesus is quoting (I believe sarcastically) the verse make it clear that "elohim" (gods) refers to judges and leaders and they are indeed "false gods" because the psalm goes on to say "you will die like men" - God was chastising the leaders saying that while they were like gods, they would die regardless because of their failures to do right.

Here is the JW (NWT) translation of Psalm 82

God takes his place in the divine assembly;*+ In the middle of the gods* he judges:+ 2 “How long will you continue to judge with injustice+ And show partiality to the wicked?+ (Selah) 3 Defend* the lowly and the fatherless.+ Render justice to the helpless and destitute.+ 4 Rescue the lowly and the poor; Save them out of the hand of the wicked.” 5 They do not know, nor do they understand;+ They are walking about in darkness; All the foundations of the earth are being shaken.+ 6 “I have said, ‘You are gods,*+ All of you are sons of the Most High. 7 But you will die just as men do;+ And like any other prince you will fall!’”

I don't think they would want to associate Jesus with these guys.

Comment

In pursuit of the aim to show the Christ is not God, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

In pursuit of the aim to show the Christ is not God, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.
                          They actually think that Jesus is the incarnation of the Archangel Michael.

Comment

Heh? They don't know that Michael is the Holy Spirit?
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Heh? They don't know that Michael is the Holy Spirit?
                              er, what?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X