Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Homosapiens emergergence dated at 300K years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homosapiens emergergence dated at 300K years ago

Source: nature.com

the Irhoud fossils currently represent, to our knowledge, the most
    securely dated evidence of the early phase of H. sapiens evolution
    in Africa, and they do not simply appear as intermediate between
    African archaic Middle Pleistocene forms and RMH. Even approx-
    imately 300 ka ago their facial morphology is almost indistinguish-
    able from that of RMH, ...
    early H. sapiens
    and African archaic Middle Pleistocene forms. This anatomical evi-
    dence and the chronological proximity between these two groups

reinforce the hypothesis of a rapid anatomical shift or even, as sug-
    gested by some
    , of a chronological overlap. The Irhoud evidence
    supports a complex evolutionary history of H. sapiens involving
    the whole African continent

facial morphology was established early on, and evolution in the
    last 300 ka primarily affected the braincase. ...
    . Through accretional changes, the
    Irhoud morphology is directly evolvable into that of extant humans.
    Delimiting clear-cut anatomical boundaries for a ‘modern’ grade
    within the H. sapiens clade thus only depends on gaps in the fossil
    record

© Copyright Original Source

This info showed up on my FB feed twice from different sources today ... West Africa find, not east ... It might be interesting to see just how far back in time the emergence of H Sap Sap gets pushed on the next round.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Good news!! An anatomically modern human with some transitional characteristics.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

This find will cause a re-write of the books. Omo man confirmed what was expected: man emerged 200 K years ago and all that. No-one would have thought 300 K ... everything pointed to Omo man being the first.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

So, having read a number of accounts of this, the finding is being badly overhyped. See, for example this from one of the people who helped discover H. naledi: https://medium.com/@johnhawks/the-st...d-9e435bea24f6

Key statement:
        Hublin and his coworkers have drawn attention to the humanlike features, but they agree with other anthropologists that the Jebel Irhoud skulls are not modern humans themselves.
        It's an archaic human with some modern features. Its precise role in bringing about modern humans is unclear. It may still rewrite some textbooks, but that's debatable at this point.
        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
          This find will cause a re-write of the books. Omo man confirmed what was expected: man emerged 200 K years ago and all that. No-one would have thought 300 K ... everything pointed to Omo man being the first.
          I believe this is an important find, but the existence of fossils is still spotty and the region of origin cannot be determined by this discovery The age of the fossils is the most important contribution. It is an over statement to consider Omo man the first, or that humans originated from there. Every new sensational discover tends to tunnel vision everything on the importance of that discovery. The evidence indicates our even early ancestors migrated extensively spreading across Africa and Eurasia. I believe more discoveries in the future will bring the fossil evidence into focus.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

For once we are agreed.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Seems like I read something about this: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...r-than-thought

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Apologies Rogue - I hadn't seen that thread ... but it looks like you have a more interesting citation, so I'll go over there.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                  Apologies Rogue - I hadn't seen that thread ... but it looks like you have a more interesting citation, so I'll go over there.
                  No worries. The conversation is here so I'll just repost what I wrote here:
                  Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Just finished reading this...

Source: Scientists Find Oldest Known Specimens of the Human Species

The bones of ancient hunters unearthed in Morocco are the oldest known specimens of the human species, potentially pushing back the clock on the origin of modern Homo sapiens, scientists announced Wednesday.

Found among stone tools and the ashes of ancient campfires, the remains date from about 300,000 years ago, a time when the Sahara was green and several early human species roamed the world, the scientists said. That makes them about 100,000 years older than any other fossils of Homo sapiens—the species to which all people today belong.

“These dates were a big wow,” said anthropologist Jean-Jacques Hublin at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Biology in Leipzig, Germany. He led an international team of scientists who reported the discovery Wednesday in Nature. “This material represents the very roots of our species—the very oldest Homo sapiens found in Africa or anywhere.”

Until now, most researchers believed that modern humankind emerged gradually from a population centered in East Africa around 200,000 years ago. Previous discoveries of early Homo sapiens fossils have been concentrated at sites in Ethiopia.

The fossil discovery at Jebel Irhoud near Marrakesh in North Africa, however, suggests that early humans had already spread across most of Africa by then.

“What’s really neat about this discovery is that you now have evidence of modern Homo sapiens across Africa, about as far from sites in East Africa as you can get,” said anthropologist Bernard Wood at George Washington University’s Center for the Advanced Study of Human Paleobiology, who wasn’t involved in the find.

As early experiments in the human form, these ancestors had quite modern-looking facial features, but relatively primitive skulls, suggesting that the cognitive capacities of modern brains had yet to take shape, the scientists said.

Their faces were likely so contemporary in appearance that they might pass unnoticed on a crowded city sidewalk, although they might need to wear a hat to disguise their skull’s elongated shape, Dr. Hublin said.

Such combinations of traits, though, blur the differences that distinguish one human ancestor from another, making it hard for scholars to classify species accurately. In fact, several early human species, such as Neanderthals, were so closely related to Homo sapiens that they could all interbreed, modern genetic evidence shows.

But several independent experts said they agreed that the fossils most likely belonged to Homo sapiens.

“It has a modern face and a primitive brain case,” said John Fleagle, an expert on primate evolution at Stony Brook School of Medicine, who wasn’t part of the research group. “You would expect it to have a few primitive characteristics even if it is on the main line of our lineage. It shows what is probably an earlier stage of our species.”

The scientists found bones of three adults, a teenager and a child mixed in with sharpened flint tools and the butchered bones of gazelles and zebra, suggesting that a hunting party had camped there. Fires had scorched the tools and that proved key to determining the age of the find.

The researchers tested the tools using a technique called thermoluminescence dating, which reveals how much time has elapsed since an object has been heated. By that measure, they calculated that the tools were 315,000 years old, plus or minus 34,000 years.

They also dated tooth enamel from a fossil jaw using electron spin resonance, which can measure the residual radiation that has built up since a material formed. That yielded an age of 286,000 years, plus or minus 32,000 years, the scientists said.

“It leads us to conclude that 300,000 years old is the best age for these fossils,” said Daniel Richter at the Max Planck Institute, who conducted the dating studies.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Instead of early modern humans having spread to Morocco it might also suggest that they didn't evolve in East Africa

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment