Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Did You Choose The Right Messiah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did You Choose The Right Messiah?

Do we have the right Messiah?

The link can be found here.

-----

Of all the claimants, are you sure you have the right one? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

During the night, someone sent me a message about a graphic they saw. I looked at it and realized very quickly that this is someone who really is uninformed about history and how research is done and sharing another thing that tells me they're hoping that their audience is the same way. When my wife asked me about this, who is not an apologist, she came in and looked and saw the gaping error in it immediately. (By the way, that part is not an insult to my wife and is said with her permission.)

So what is it this time?

Messiah Claimants.jpg

For the sake of argument, let's grant that each of these figures really claimed either to be the Messiah or was thought to be the Messiah. That could be a huge concession, but I'm willing to grant it. How could you possibly tell that you have the right one?

I don't know. Maybe we could just look at the evidence for each?

I realize that's a stretch. I mean, when it comes to history, internet atheists aren't really keen on evidence. The criteria is normally that if it makes Christianity look bad, it's true. If it makes Christianity look good or neutral, we should all be skeptics. I often say that internet atheists honor reason with their lips, but their hearts are far from it.

Now I'm not going to go into a whole argument for the resurrection of Jesus. Many of you know that I have done that already. I just plan to go into historical methodology. How is it that we would examine the claims?

First, we'd want to look at historical documents. We could actually start with the Old Testament. Since the idea of a Messiah is one rooted in the Old Testament, we would look to see what the Old Testament says about the Messiah. Then once we have that information in, we know what we're looking for. Who fits the profile?

Then we would examine the evidence for each of these people using the best sources that are deemed the most accurate and the closest to the time. We would ask for questions about which of them fulfilled the prophecies in the Old Testament. We would also look and see if any of them did anything remarkable that could be considered a fulfillment, such as a resurrection from the dead. (Incidentally, on just being the Messiah, I also highly recommend the books of Michael Brown.)

When I look at a graphic like this, I actually picture a town with a few thousand citizens and a murder takes place. Eventually, the police arrest someone and in court, the defense says "There are a few thousand people in this town. How do the police know they chose the right one?" They would do just what I've done. They would look at the evidence.

I'm quite thankful to see internet atheists using arguments like this today. If this is what is seen as an intellectually devastating argument, then Christianity is in good hands. It also makes me wonder how low their standards are if they will fall for weak arguments like this one.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Deh - Jesus Christ Superstar summed it up with (its) Pilate's comment: "You Jews bring us messiahs by the sackful."
    Matt 24:24, Mark 13:22, Act 5: 34-37 (three named in there)
    No doubt other places as well.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

How many of those other guys came back to life and changed the world?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        How many of those other guys came back to life and changed the world?
        You can't expect that these scholars of theirs won't miss the point, surely?
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

No one except Jesus claimed to be Messiah until Bar Kochba, and even with him, he didn't actually say it of himself; one of his friends said it of him.

Haile Selassie rejected the claims of Rastafarians that he was a messianic figure. Of course the list makers do "cover their asterisk" on that, but that by itself tells you how uncritical the person who made this list is. Seriously, how much time do we need to spend to decide Selassie would not be a good pick, when he rejected the title and the people who gave it to him make getting high on weed their chief ritual?

Not exactly an intellectual powerhouse making these silly graphics.

Comment

The macabees necer claimed to be the messiah. They were soldiers fighting Antiochus. Besides Judah died in the wars.
            sigpic

Comment

Please people. We can't let silly things like details, facts, and historical accuracy get in the way of an agenda.

Comment