Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

The Shadowrun reboot games? Anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shadowrun reboot games? Anyone

Curious if anyone played the Trio of Shadowrun Returns game that Harebrained schemes released over the years.

I loved all the cyberpunk noir in each one. I don't know whether Hong Kong or Dragonfall where my favorites, but my favorite character was definitely Glory. She's vicious, traumatized, and is out to kill her former abuser. Quite a fascinating character.

Originally posted by Jin-roh View Post
    Curious if anyone played the Trio of Shadowrun Returns game that Harebrained schemes released over the years.

I loved all the cyberpunk noir in each one. I don't know whether Hong Kong or Dragonfall where my favorites, but my favorite character was definitely Glory. She's vicious, traumatized, and is out to kill her former abuser. Quite a fascinating character.
    Never ran across the game but enjoyed some of the books it was based on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Never ran across the game but enjoyed some of the books it was based on.
      I tried getting through one of the Shadowrun books, but it was exceptionally poorly written, even by B level RPG-inspired fiction standards.

I could use a new read though... if you got a recommendation from the Shadowrun universe.

Comment

I tried getting through one of the Shadowrun books, but it was exceptionally poorly written, even by B level RPG-inspired fiction standards.

I could use a new read though... if you got a recommendation from the Shadowrun universe.
        The ones I read were well before the RPG but too long ago to remember the titles.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I had no idea Shadowrun existed as novels before it existed as a table top...

Comment

I had no idea Shadowrun existed as novels before it existed as a table top...
            I just looked it up and I was wrong. The RPG came first. It was just that I had never heard of it until several years after reading the books.

Comment

I played the first one of the batch briefly. Haven't touched it since.

I don't know whether Hong Kong or Dragonfall where my favorites, but my favorite character was definitely Glory. She's vicious, traumatized, and is out to kill her former abuser. Quite a fascinating character.
              Modern feminism makes this kind of storyline impossible to enjoy for me.
              "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                I played the first one of the batch briefly. Haven't touched it since.

Modern feminism makes this kind of storyline impossible to enjoy for me.
                Because...

Comment

Because...
                  Because IRL I'm the "abuser". It feels like I'm participating in my own defamation.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Because IRL I'm the "abuser". It feels like I'm participating in my own defamation.
                    You started a murderous cult centered around a satan, brainwashed a vulnerable teen runaway, and forced her and others to perform human sacrifice... because you love them?

Comment

You started a murderous cult centered around a satan, brainwashed a vulnerable teen runaway, and forced her and others to perform human sacrifice... because you love them?
                      No but I might as well have according to those people.

Is the combat any good?

Edit: To be fair I'm just going by what stood out to you, maybe these elements aren't emphasized at all by the actual game.
                      Last edited by Darth Executor; 06-09-2017, 06:49 PM.

Comment

No but I might as well have according to those people.
                        Yeah I guess I'm not going to ask... but it sounds like whatever was going is over and probably for the best.

Is the combat any good?
                        Turn based just like the first Shadowrun game. Shadowrun Hong Kong has the best variety of weapons and the most interesting fights in my opinion.

I tend to play RPGs more the plot though. As long as I'm not bored with combat, it's good enough for me. I don't crank the difficultly to max and try to amaze people on youtube or anything.

Edit: To be fair I'm just going by what stood out to you, maybe these elements aren't emphasized at all by the actual game.
                        Glory's entire back story is a side quest. It's a good one, in my opinion, with a compelling character, but it's optional and can be ignored completely.

Comment