Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bernie Sanders vs Traditional Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernie Sanders vs Traditional Christianity

Buried behind all of Comey/Trump/Russia was an exchange in a Senate confirmation hearing between Senator Bernie Sanders and the nominee for White House deputy budget director.

Among several links I could have chosen, this seems the best for discussion https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org...d-to-be-about/

I'll admit that when first started hearing about Senator Sanders, I had somewhat of a favorable view. However as time as past, my view of him has dropped and this caused a major plunge.

Seems to me, he's using his office to hinder someone's practice of religion. Looking at some broader trends, I don't think this bodes well for conservative (traditional) Christians in this county. I don't know how fast this will come and I think it will be regional - more pronounced in the blue states than the red states.

Am I overacting? Opinions are welcome.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

It reads like pandering to his base to me. That's not to say you shouldn't be concerned - it's inflammatory (that, I suspect is intentional) and distinctly anti-Christian. I just don't know how much is his belief and how much is his pandering.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

I think Sanders overstepped his bounds here. It's religious test for office, even if he wants to code it as a bigotry test.

Seriously, the guy is in the running for a budget office. What he thinks about religion is seriously far off from his daily duties.

Comment

Crazy Bernie is a loud-mouthed small-brained infidel who should carefully review both traditional Xian doctrine and, more pertinently to the matter at hand, the Constitution, while biding his time waiting for hell.

What else is there to discuss?
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

He's commie, what do you think view of his about Christianity is like???
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            Crazy Bernie is a loud-mouthed small-brained infidel who should carefully review both traditional Xian doctrine and, more pertinently to the matter at hand, the Constitution, while biding his time waiting for hell.

What else is there to discuss?
            He's one of our elected leaders in a position of high power and influence. How long until his opinion starts getting repeated across the nation?

(Edit): And I just discovered there was another US Senator that agreed with Bernie Sanders at the hearing: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/a...ment-officials

The first time is happenstance, the second is coincidence, ... now I'm more concerned.
            Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 06-11-2017, 04:28 PM. Reason: Add link for 2 senators saying it
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
              He's one of our elected leaders in a position of high power and influence. How long until his opinion starts getting repeated across the nation?

(Edit): And I just discovered there was another US Senator that agreed with Bernie Sanders at the hearing: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/a...ment-officials

The first time is happenstance, the second is coincidence, ... now I'm more concerned.

The base will lap it up - but that isn't the same thing as convincing the whole nation. Yes, it's concerning - no, it's not time to break out the pitchforks.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                The base will lap it up - but that isn't the same thing as convincing the whole nation. Yes, it's concerning - no, it's not time to break out the pitchforks.
                Yes, his base will lap it up. I think you're missing the significance that he is sitting in a seat of power in Washington, D.C. He doesn't have to convince the nation. He just has to convince his fellow leaders or enough of them. Lots of tyrannies are a minority that forced themselves on a majority.

Also, I'm not a fighter. I'm wondering if its time to run for the bunker.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  Yes, his base will lap it up. I think you're missing the significance that he is sitting in a seat of power in Washington, D.C. He doesn't have to convince the nation. He just has to convince his fellow leaders or enough of them. Lots of tyrannies are a minority that forced themselves on a majority.

Also, I'm not a fighter. I'm wondering if its time to run for the bunker.
                  True - but this is not the first time this particular line has been used - probably not even in the Senate.

No, not time for the bunker yet.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

What Bernie said is deplorable, however, I think Christians are making a mistake by arguing that asking such questions about religious beliefs inherently violates the Constitution. There are times such a question would be relevant. It would be proper to ask such questions of a Scientologist, who would probably be forced to do the bidding of the CoS. It would be proper to ask questions of a Quaker who was up for a position that required the authorization of military force. And so on... It just so happens that there is no good reason for Bernie to be asking what he asked here.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      What Bernie said is deplorable, however, I think Christians are making a mistake by arguing that asking such questions about religious beliefs inherently violates the Constitution. There are times such a question would be relevant. It would be proper to ask such questions of a Scientologist, who would probably be forced to do the bidding of the CoS. It would be proper to ask questions of a Quaker who was up for a position that required the authorization of military force. And so on... It just so happens that there is no good reason for Bernie to be asking what he asked here.
                      Yeah, and even then I think Bernie could've been less Bernie about it.

I could imagine a legit question about someone's religious commitments being like this:

"Mr. Vought, we've noticed that your alma mater expelled a teacher for her solidarity with Muslims. Your op-ed defended this action and argued that Muslims stand condemned before God. You can see how many may be concerned about this statement, as you may be a prosecuting attorney for Los Angeles, a city with no less than twelve Mosques..."

Comment

You're talking about loyalty - that is indeed valid. But Sanders was applying a beliefs test - not will you uphold the Constitution but you don't believe the right things. That is unconstitutional on its face - and what was concerning TM, as I understood him.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

You're talking about loyalty - that is indeed valid. But Sanders was applying a beliefs test - not will you uphold the Constitution but you don't believe the right things. That is unconstitutional on its face - and what was concerning TM, as I understood him.
                          I don't think it's facially unconstitutional, as it's more than loyalty - there are questions as to whether one's beliefs would prevent one from upholding their duties. Had Obama attempted to nominate Jeremiah Wright to some position, the right certainly wouldn't have come to that conclusion (nor should they have).
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I don't think it's facially unconstitutional, as it's more than loyalty - there are questions as to whether one's beliefs would prevent one from upholding their duties. Had Obama attempted to nominate Jeremiah Wright to some position, the right certainly wouldn't have come to that conclusion (nor should they have).
                            Look at what he actually asked - he wasn't asking 'in light of your Christian beliefs can you treat muslims fairly' - which is a fair question - he was stating that no one with those beliefs should hold office. That's where he crosses the line.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Look at what he actually asked - he wasn't asking 'in light of your Christian beliefs can you treat muslims fairly' - which is a fair question - he was stating that no one with those beliefs should hold office. That's where he crosses the line.
                              That's fair. I would still come to the same conclusion of beliefs inherently disqualifying about a radical Muslim, though (not that one would likely ever be nominated to any position).

I don't think this is unfamiliar ground for Christians. Wouldn't most evangelical Christians on here argue that a pro-choice belief is disqualifying?

Comment