Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Bernie Sanders vs Traditional Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Buried behind all of Comey/Trump/Russia was an exchange in a Senate confirmation hearing between Senator Bernie Sanders and the nominee for White House deputy budget director.

Among several links I could have chosen, this seems the best for discussion https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org...d-to-be-about/

I'll admit that when first started hearing about Senator Sanders, I had somewhat of a favorable view. However as time as past, my view of him has dropped and this caused a major plunge.

Seems to me, he's using his office to hinder someone's practice of religion. Looking at some broader trends, I don't think this bodes well for conservative (traditional) Christians in this county. I don't know how fast this will come and I think it will be regional - more pronounced in the blue states than the red states.

Am I overacting? Opinions are welcome.
    Yes, I'm bring back an old thread. Looks like we're up to round two of this https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...arrett/539124/. Got a new set of senators frustrated with people of religious belief being nominated.

On the one hand at least in this case, religious belief could impact the job more than round one did. On the other hand, we've had judges with religious beliefs for 200 years.

It just feels like we are creeping towards a religious test by saying you can't bring your religion into your job.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

In general, I don't think "bringing your religion into your job" is an open and shut case in all cases. For example, as a mailman, if I concluded that any mailings from non-Christian religious organizations were leading people on the way to hell and refused to deliver any of that mail but threw it away, I would end up in jail. I don't think that would be an appropriate way to bring my faith into my job. On the other hand, trying to uphold high ethical standards in what I do on the job would be an appropriate way.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        In general, I don't think "bringing your religion into your job" is an open and shut case in all cases. For example, as a mailman, if I concluded that any mailings from non-Christian religious organizations were leading people on the way to hell and refused to deliver any of that mail but threw it away, I would end up in jail. I don't think that would be an appropriate way to bring my faith into my job. On the other hand, trying to uphold high ethical standards in what I do on the job would be an appropriate way.
        I absolute agree with your comments about job and work. You did a good job on summarizing how a Christian should perform their job even when its not appropriate to openly bring your faith in.

My interest in this topic is how Christians, especially conservative ones, are viewed with increasing disfavor. 30 years ago, I seem to remember being viewed with indifference. Then the media and Hollywood started treating those who believe as stupid. Now we are viewed as backwards with ideas that are divisive and bad for the country. In the past few months, a portion of one of our major political parties has started trying to exclude Christians from serving in political office. To my understanding, this isn't a good trend.

I probably got some sequence misstated but I hope you get the idea.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          I absolute agree with your comments about job and work. You did a good job on summarizing how a Christian should perform their job even when its not appropriate to openly bring your faith in.

My interest in this topic is how Christians, especially conservative ones, are viewed with increasing disfavor. 30 years ago, I seem to remember being viewed with indifference. Then the media and Hollywood started treating those who believe as stupid. Now we are viewed as backwards with ideas that are divisive and bad for the country. In the past few months, a portion of one of our major political parties has started trying to exclude Christians from serving in political office. To my understanding, this isn't a good trend.

I probably got some sequence misstated but I hope you get the idea.
          Thirty years ago was right around the end of the Moral Majority and the founding of the Christian Coalition. I'd been interested in politics about five or six years by then, but not deeply. I seem to recall that before the MM, conservative/evangelical Xians were not politically unified nor particularly politically active. But thanks to the MM, we were considered instrumental in getting Dutch elected. I think by the time you mention, 30 years ago, we were still kind of viewed mostly as a curiosity, but people were starting to realize we were potentially an important voting block. As we gained more influence, we became more disliked, because our beliefs are out of step with the "blue" parts of the country. And it probably doesn't help that some of our more public faces are goofballs.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment