Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Christian Education

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    May I ask who you are referring to? If been trying to think of examples and all I come up with are pastors, missionaries, or evangelist.
    I have mentioned Corrie ten Boom in other threads. But largely I was thinking of a book I read about spirituality during the first few centuries of Christianity, and the writings from many ordinary Christians about their lives.
    Something is always happening, but when it happens, people don't always see it, or understand it... or accept it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Oops. I failed to be clear. Let me try to clarify.

When I talk about the Christian who doesn't want a deeper life, I am referring to the congregation and not leadership. I find the "average" Christian member of a church really doesn't want a deeper life. To be crude, I think a lot of them a simply there out a habit or to get fire insurance. I find the leadership spends too much time trying to met the needs of that group.

I have the desire for a deeper life. I do not have that deeper life and frankly I'm not sure where to start or how to proceed. You really think I'm qualified to lead such a group. Its seems like asking someone who desires to be a plumber to teaching plumber classes.
    If a person doesn't want to become a saint, what could Christ have that he could possibly want?
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by tabibito View Post
    If a person doesn't want to become a saint, what could Christ have that he could possibly want?
    Absolutely nothing.

What he probably wants is a message to make him feel good, a social group, status if he is in a leadership position, free counseling, and the someone to preside over the big three (birth, wedding, death.)
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Absolutely nothing.

What he probably wants is a message to make him feel good, a social group, status if he is in a leadership position, free counseling, and the someone to preside over the big three (birth, wedding, death.)
    Actually, I disagree - Christ may offer absolutely nothing that the guy thinks he wants - but in fact Christ offers absolutely everything, whether or not we want it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I agree - learning Scripture for the sake of saying you know it is a foolish goal. But emphasizing 'how it relates to us now' tends to end up with the mushy, feelly and not really going anywhere education we see today.

I'm a both/and girl - we NEED devotionals, time in reflection, prayer (lots and lots of prayer), and Life Application - but we have left behind the 'nuts and bolts', chap and verse, knowledge of God's word to the point that we can't truly do the former, either. The knowledge of Scripture is just too weak - and the likelihood of error skyrockets.

I think it is the exception that comes to truly know God without a knowledge of His word. It's like getting to know your penpal - minus reading his letters!

As a Methodist, I think both Methodism and the Church Universal could benefit from a 'back to basics, getting serious, step by step' approach.

We need devotional/life application.

We need knowledge.

We need relationship, both with Him and with each other.

We need to get off the pew and into the world.

And we NEED all four all at once.

I think we can use both a renewed emphasis on knowledge education and an emphasis on service to push toward better life application and, most importantly, a drive toward relationship with Him.

That sounds really dorky in print. I see multiple emphasis' - but interwoven, not separated as the modern church tends to do. We need compartments - we don't need to be ruled by them.

That's as clear as mud, isn't it?
    I've come to accept that my brain is a slow cooker. It can take awhile for it produce the results.

We're not looking for a better Christian Education. We're looking for discipleship! And that's even rarer than good Christian education.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

My time to be on TWeb is unpredictable. It may take a few days for me to see your post and respond.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't think you can truly separate one from the other. How can you disciple without learning? What would be the point without discipleship?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    On this I am in agreement with Teallaura. Learning is only one facet of discipleship, but there are enough passages in the Bible to demonstrate that it is critical.

including

Add to your faith, virtue: to your virtue, knowledge ....
    και εκζητησατε με και ευρησετε με οτι ζητησετε με εν ολη καρδία υμων

8. Amen Thoughtful Monk amen'd this post.
    Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    I used to teach Sunday School at a nursing home. We had graduates all the time. We just didn't know when they graduated until afterwards.
    We used to show folks the "Senior Adult Wing" of our Church ---- Adult 1, Adult 2, and Adult 3..... then we'd point skyward and say "the NEXT promotion is the BIG one!"

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.