Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

US Congressman and Others Shot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    How is it that for every other person in society the action and the result of the action are measured together and accountability applied?
    I'm sure they'll be relieved to know that you don't hold them accountable for abortion - you know, because an organized political body voted on it.
    You are aware that the people you're railing against didn't actually vote on abortion, yes?
    These fatheads can sell us on the most hair brained nonsense, collect fat checks from their globalist buddies for selling us out, and then retire from office and never face prosecution for their crimes. There is literally no other occupation on the planet (besides being a politician) where a person can commit those kinds of crimes and walk away with absolutely no fear of blowback. Defense contractor buddy needs a war? Start one. It doesn't matter because you cannot be held accountable - as long as you voted on it, regardless of what pack of lies you told the American people to sell it.

You and I pay for the bad choices we make.
    We need a mechanism to make politicians pay for theirs.
    Your cynicism aside, there are mechanisms for prosecuting politicians gone awry (not nearly used often or rigorously enough, but they are there). Working as I do in the area of government contracts, little of the waste can be ascribed to bribes and malicious intent to defraud. Most of it is simply due to the government being incredibly inefficient at spending money and the fact that they're spending other peoples' money with insufficient oversight, which does little to discourage sloppiness.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Latest reports saying that the condition of the gunman is unknown.

Scalise is now in surgery and reported to be in stable condition.
      CNN is still reporting critical, has he worsened during the day or is that outdated?
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        CNN is still reporting critical, has he worsened during the day or is that outdated?
        it was originally reported as stable, and more recently reports showed up that it's critical, maybe surgery went badly?
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Typical. I saw a story on Drudge about a number of liberal morons (is there any other kind?) on Twitter smugly suggesting this was just desserts for any politician who defends the Second Amendment. Whatever happened to common decency and compassion? There was a time when our nation would have collectively mourned something like this. Now we have people practically if not outright celebrating just because the victims happen to sit "across the aisle".
          At least Sanders condemned it. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...ampaign-239550
          I'm not at all famous, but I'm fairly liberal, and I don't like that he was shot. Shooting innocent people because you merely disagree with them is not the right way to resolve conflicts.
          Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I wonder about that too. My understanding is that it's routine to declare a patient critical after surgery because obviously anything could happen during recovery, then upgrade or downgrade the status of the patient. So, this concerns me too.
            Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Well it appears he has severe injuries around the hip area. Clearly he won't be back on the floor anytime soon.
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

How is it that for every other person in society the action and the result of the action are measured together and accountability applied?
                I'm sure they'll be relieved to know that you don't hold them accountable for abortion - you know, because an organized political body voted on it.

These fatheads can sell us on the most hair brained nonsense, collect fat checks from their globalist buddies for selling us out, and then retire from office and never face prosecution for their crimes. There is literally no other occupation on the planet (besides being a politician) where a person can commit those kinds of crimes and walk away with absolutely no fear of blowback. Defense contractor buddy needs a war? Start one. It doesn't matter because you cannot be held accountable - as long as you voted on it, regardless of what pack of lies you told the American people to sell it.

You and I pay for the bad choices we make.
                We need a mechanism to make politicians pay for theirs.
                like shooting them at a baseball game?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  like shooting them at a baseball game?
                  More people will die trying to cross the Mexican American border today then Congressmen have been assassinated in the past 50 years.

So when it comes to Congressmen being shot I'll take the same approach they take when it comes to the lives of Mexicans:

Well, now the whole shooting thing is bad, very bad, you know... people at a baseball game just trying to have fun, but it really is just a symptom of a very complex problem that permeates the whole sphere of human experience. The point is: I care about these heroes, I really, really care - so much so that I've decided to head up a committee to study the problem. We'll be putting our top men on this thing, because dammit, this isn't America. This isn't the America my dad fought and died for, no sirree - not even close. So we're going to study this issue, it will cost about $200 million to look into it, but dammit, money is no object. We'll get our best people on it and see what the study has to say about it because we want to be sure to hear all sides, don't you know, all sides have to be at the table. I mean, some people think it is simple because we already have laws on the books, about shooting people playing baseball, but we need to look at those laws too, and have judges wave gavels over it, and have probably 3 or 4 subcommittees to really drill down into this complex problems. Yes, we're getting right on that one - should have an answer, or rather, the data together on that by the end of the decade.
                  Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

More people will die trying to cross the Mexican American border today then Congressmen have been assassinated in the past 50 years.
                    so?

So when it comes to Congressmen being shot I'll take the same approach they take when it comes to the lives of Mexicans:

Well, now the whole shooting thing is bad, very bad, you know... people at a baseball game just trying to have fun, but it really is just a symptom of a very complex problem that permeates the whole sphere of human experience. The point is: I care about these heroes, I really, really care - so much so that I've decided to head up a committee to study the problem. We'll be putting our top men on this thing, because dammit, this isn't America. This isn't the America my dad fought and died for, no sirree - not even close. So we're going to study this issue, it will cost about $200 million to look into it, but dammit, money is no object. We'll get our best people on it and see what the study has to say about it because we want to be sure to hear all sides, don't you know, all sides have to be at the table. I mean, some people think it is simple because we already have laws on the books, about shooting people playing baseball, but we need to look at those laws too, and have judges wave gavels over it, and have probably 3 or 4 subcommittees to really drill down into this complex problems. Yes, we're getting right on that one - should have an answer, or rather, the data together on that by the end of the decade.
                    You never answered my question. Are you actually saying shooting a congressman was a good thing because "We need a mechanism to make politicians pay for theirs."

When did you turn into Starlight?

Comment

You never answered my question. Are you actually saying shooting a congressman was a good thing because "We need a mechanism to make politicians pay for theirs."
                      Good heavens, NO!

What I am saying is that this is a horrible tragedy fraught with a great deal of complexity.
                      I think if we're going to solve it that we need to first understand it.
                      That is why I requested the $200,000,000.00 in funding.
                      Although I'm personally devastated by this event my thoughts and prayers are with the victims.

Now let's get that funding in order so we can get this problem solved.
                      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Good heavens, NO!

What I am saying is that this is a horrible tragedy fraught with a great deal of complexity.
                        I think if we're going to solve it that we need to first understand it.
                        That is why I requested the $200,000,000.00 in funding.
                        Although I'm personally devastated by this event my thoughts and prayers are with the victims.

Now let's get that funding in order so we can get this problem solved.
                        I am being serious. You are going around acting like the shooting was a good thing because we need to teach those durn politicians a lesson or something.

Comment

I am being serious. You are going around acting like the shooting was a good thing because we need to teach those durn politicians a lesson or something.
                          I do NOT advocate violence.
                          I'm just not surprised or overly concerned when violent men meet a violent end.

Comment

It's a simple fact of politics - the politicians are reluctant to do anything about things that don't affect them personally. When it does, they'll at least start to think about doing something about the problem.
                            Isn't Meh Gerbil just reflecting the kind of comments you have made about lefties who don't seem to care about how their choices affect OTHER people?
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                              It's a simple fact of politics - the politicians are reluctant to do anything about things that don't affect them personally. When it does, they'll at least start to think about doing something about the problem.
                              Isn't Meh Gerbil just reflecting the kind of comments you have made about lefties who don't seem to care about how their choices affect OTHER people?
                              when have I said that someone being killed was a "good start" other than perhaps as a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                                Exactly.

Some drug dealer who has killed multiple people, sold drugs to minors, who has stolen cars and committed other crimes, finally gets shot in the ghetto and the response from people is "Meh, if he didn't want to die he shouldn't have lived like a criminal. Oh well, live by the sword, die by the sword." The killing of the drug dealer is tragic but most people aren't going to get worked up about it. There are far too many innocent people who die every day to worry about those that court death.

I feel the same way about Congress.

For decades those criminals have sat on their hands while the enslavement of the poor continues. For decades they've held Mexican immigrants in this pseudo-legal place where they can be taken advantage of but they've no legal recourse. Because of the on again off again border policy thousands have died. The same could be said for the completely idiotic wars in the middle east - trillions spent, many thousands died, and all so sugar daddy can get another payout from oil companies and defense contractors. It isn't a Democrat vs. Republican thing - they're all whores.

So a Congressman got shot, well if he didn't want to get shot he shouldn't have lived his life like a criminal.
                                It is wrong, I don't advocate it, but I'm not going to worry about it either.

Comment