Announcement

Collapse

Church History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to Church History 201.

Believe it or not, this is the exact place where Luther first posted the 94 thesis. We convinced him to add one.

This is the forum where the Church and its actions in history can be discussed. Since CH201, like the other fora in the History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here. This means that anything like Ecclesiology can be discussed without the restrictions of the Ecclesiology forum, and without the atmosphere of Ecclesiology 201 or the Apologetics-specific forum.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is and such is not the area to try disembowel anyone's faith.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Epistle of Peter to James

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epistle of Peter to James

http://www.tertullian.org/fathers2/ANF- ... 54_1014821

Quote: "For some from among the Gentiles have rejected my legal preaching, attaching themselves to certain lawless and trifling preaching of the man who is my enemy."

The enemy seems to be Apostle Paul.

Is this authentic? What is going one?

Also, I can't find a date for this Epistle.

Thank you.

Not likely. This is part of the Pseudo-Clementine literature, which dates from the 3rd to the 5th century, depending on who you speak to.

Beyond that, the letter quotes Matthew, which is probably written between 75-90. That's problematic for any case for authenticity, as Peter dies around 64/65, and James is known to have died in 62. Unless Peter's ghost wrote it, it's pseudipigraphic.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
      Not likely. This is part of the Pseudo-Clementine literature, which dates from the 3rd to the 5th century, depending on who you speak to.

Beyond that, the letter quotes Matthew, which is probably written between 75-90. That's problematic for any case for authenticity, as Peter dies around 64/65, and James is known to have died in 62. Unless Peter's ghost wrote it, it's pseudipigraphic.
      Thank you very much.

Comment

Further, works prior to the 3rd century tended to at most allude to NT writings; though dependence can be demonstrated, writers rarely quoted from them.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I vaguely remember reading something once that claimed that some of the Pseudo-Clementine literature had some elements that weren't exactly pro-Paul.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            I vaguely remember reading something once that claimed that some of the Pseudo-Clementine literature had some elements that weren't exactly pro-Paul.
            That may very well be the case. To be honest, my knowledge about early Christian literature is primarily confined to the first two centuries, but my grasp of patristics is far worse than my grasp of NT/OT.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X