Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why does Paul lie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait. The apostles were messengers of God. So to say Paul got his nessage from God is technically true considering the apostles mission was to spread the word of God.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
      Wait. The apostles were messengers of God. So to say Paul got his nessage from God is technically true considering the apostles mission was to spread the word of God.
      That would be stretching it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
        Yes, but while Paul was at pains to assure that they were speaking the same message, he insisted that he got it independently of them.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Paul (according to scripture) "I received from the Lord."
          Paul (according: to Aractus) "I received directly from the Lord."

Oh dear.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Paul says it's ok to lie as long as you're lying for Jesus.

"But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice,"
            http://biblehub.com/philippians/1-18.htm

Comment

Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
              Paul says it's ok to lie as long as you're lying for Jesus.

"But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice,"
              http://biblehub.com/philippians/1-18.htm
              great cherrypicking.

Phil 1 15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                great cherrypicking.

Phil 1 15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
                Yes, Paul has no problem with those that lie for Jesus. Paul affirms this because he's said to have "rejoiced."

Comment

Yes, Paul has no problem with those that lie for Jesus. Paul affirms this because he's said to have "rejoiced."

he is talking about preaching MOTIVES, not the message. If they are preaching the same information for different motives that is not lying, is it?

Comment

he is talking about preaching MOTIVES, not the message. If they are preaching the same information for different motives that is not lying, is it?
                    πρόφασις prophasis = pretense
                    http://lexiconcordance.com/greek/4392.html

pre·tense
                    noun
                    noun: pretence

1. an attempt to make something that is not the case appear true.
                    synonyms: make-believe, putting on an act, acting, dissembling, shamming, faking, feigning, simulation, dissimulation, play-acting, posturing.

2. a claim, especially a false or ambitious one.
                    Last edited by RhinestoneCowboy; 06-16-2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

πρόφασις prophasis = pretense
                      http://lexiconcordance.com/greek/4392.html

pre·tense
                      noun
                      noun: pretence

1. an attempt to make something that is not the case appear true.
                      synonyms: make-believe, putting on an act, acting, dissembling, shamming, faking, feigning, simulation, dissimulation, play-acting, posturing; More

2. a claim, especially a false or ambitious one.
                      he is clearly talking about motives. he says, "It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill..."

Comment

Hey, I can play this game too!

RhinestoneCowboy says it's ok to lie.

it's ok to lie.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

he is clearly talking about motives. he says, "It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill..."

And directly after that he says that even if they use pretense (falsehoods), as long as they're using them for Jesus then it's okay. Paul even rejoices at this fact!

Therefore, it's ok to use dishonest motives/tactics "lies" as long as it's for Jesus. Sounds just like you guys on this forum!

Comment

And directly after that he says that even if they use pretense (falsehoods), as long as they're using them for Jesus then it's okay. Paul even rejoices at this fact!

Therefore, it's ok to use dishonest motives/tactics "lies" as long as it's for Jesus.
                            yeah directly after that BECAUSE he is referring to that! It was his 'example' of what he was talking about.

Comment

yeah directly after that BECAUSE he is referring to that! It was his 'example' of what he was talking about.
                              So you agree that it's ok to use dishonest motives/tactics as long as it's for the glory of Jesus! Sounds consistent with your behavior on this forum so I guess I can't call you a hypocrite.

Comment

There was that experiment conducted a while back where people had part of their brains disabled - the bit that deals with risk evaluation and conflict resolution. The result was a 30+% increase in atheistic tendencies. It does give cause for consideration.

It MIGHT explain the inability to distinguish between false motives and false preaching.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment