Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why does Paul lie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy View Post
    So you agree that it's ok to use dishonest motives/tactics as long as it's for the glory of Jesus! Sounds consistent with your behavior on this forum so I guess I can't call you a hypocrite.
    wow.

Your reading comprehension is horrible isn't it? That explains a lot. A whole lot. I will try to use small words when responding to you in the future.

Translation into RC:

You read bad. Makes sense why you so dumb. Me use little words when talking to you next time.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      There was that experiment conducted a while back where people had part of their brains disabled - the bit that deals with risk evaluation and conflict resolution. The result was a 30+% increase in atheistic tendencies. It does give cause for consideration.

It MIGHT explain the inability to distinguish between false motives and false preaching.
      There have also been studies where people have been asked questions like "what does God want/like?" and it corresponds to the same part of the brain that represents the individual's own desires. Basically, pointing towards
      evidence that "you are your own god." Just food for thought.
      Last edited by RhinestoneCowboy; 06-16-2017, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RhinestoneCowboy
        Nice grammar, cupcake.
        You might want to read Galatians 1 to see what Paul thinks about lying about the gospel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          You might want to read Galatians 1 to see what Paul thinks about lying about the gospel.
          I never said he was "lying about the gospel." He literally says it's okay to "lie for Jesus" meaning you can use pretense (falsehoods) as long as you're still preaching Jesus.

Comment

Twould seem that you are right about his reading comprehension skills. He can't even tell that Paul didn't say it was OK to lie for Jesus.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Paul says it's ok to lie as long as you're lying for Jesus.

"But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice,"
              http://biblehub.com/philippians/1-18.htm
              Yet another anti Christian lie.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

I never said he was "lying about the gospel." He literally says it's okay to "lie for Jesus" meaning you can use pretense (falsehoods) as long as you're still preaching Jesus.
                literally says, "lie for Jesus" huh?

I can safely say he says no such thing.

Again, you have such strong biases that apparently you can't read what is there, nor in context. He is in fact saying that DESPITE people preaching Jesus with bad motives (to hurt him) that at least Jesus is getting preached. At least some good comes out of it. He never approves of their bad motives OR any lying.

It is like me saying "well, Rhinestone, even though you are a moron and a troll, who ignores everything I say at least you are hearing about Jesus from me" - it doesn't mean I am lying or that I approve of you being a troll or that I am happy that you are a moron and won't listen.

Phil 1: 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
                Last edited by Sparko; 06-16-2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aractus View Post
                  I'm not exactly sure the point you're trying to make, but I'm perfectly comfortable believing that there was at least a proto-Mark, Q, Thomas, or something written down while Paul was alive. The interesting thing is that we don't really know how much Paul actually knew, and how much he did know through the other apostles but chose to ignore to pursue his own theology. I think with the Last Supper we can say this is an early Christian custom, based on a supper Jesus had with his disciples. Paul has gone ahead and developed the theology and claimed it as his own. Making the practise of the supper in his churches a more spiritual event than perhaps the ones guided by Petrine/"Jerusalem" theology.
                  I was responding more to Starlight than to anyone else.

Comment

literally says, "lie for Jesus" huh?

I can safely say he says no such thing.

Again, you have such strong biases that apparently you can't read what is there, nor in context. He is in fact saying that DESPITE people preaching Jesus with bad motives (to hurt him) that at least Jesus is getting preached. At least some good comes out of it. He never approves of their bad motives OR any lying.

It is like me saying "well, Rhinestone, even though you are a moron and a troll, who ignores everything I say at least you are hearing about Jesus from me" - it doesn't mean I am lying or that I approve of you being a troll or that I am happy that you are a moron and won't listen.

Phil 1: 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. 18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
                    Paul says he's ok with using falsehoods in order to spread the gospel. He definitely "approves" of it since he "rejoices."

Comment

Paul says he's ok with using falsehoods in order to spread the gospel. He definitely "approves" of it since he "rejoices."
                      so your response it to ignore everything and repeat yourself?

I guess that's that then. The last resort of a stubborn loser is to stand his ground and repeat his unsupported claims.

Comment

so your response it to ignore everything and repeat yourself?

I guess that's that then. The last resort of a stubborn loser is to stand his ground and repeat his unsupported claims.
                        Paul says it doesn't matter whether one use pretense (falsehoods) or truth, just as long as the gospel is preached. Either way, Paul rejoices.

Comment

Paul says it doesn't matter whether one use pretense (falsehoods) or truth, just as long as the gospel is preached. Either way, Paul rejoices.
                          Yes, we understand your failure at reading comprehension. Repeating yourself doesn't make it any less of a failure.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Though I sometimes can't resist, I normally don't bother arguing with infidels and ignorami fools, because, as Glen Campbell's character in "True Grit" observed, "You've done nothing when you've bested a fool."

Thank you, thread participants, for reminding me of this wisdom.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Aractus View Post
                              Sure but that's not a direct claim, it's a part of a creed and comes in the same letter and after the claim he makes in chapter 9.

Also he doesn't say he saw the "Resurrected Christ", in fact he couldn't have because the supposed Damascus Road event happens after the 40 days of the resurrection. But look that's not the argument, in this instance it is clear that Paul lied.
                              Since he gives a timeline beginning with the Death of Christ, this is absolute nonsense.

Paul didn't lie. You are just trying to pretend he did. And you're doing it very badly.
                              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                                Since he gives a timeline beginning with the Death of Christ, this is absolute nonsense.

Paul didn't lie. You are just trying to pretend he did. And you're doing it very badly.
                                I'm not pretending anything. The friend I was talking to agreed AFTER I showed him the verse that Paul did not learn about the last supper directly from the Lord, he had to have learned it from the other disciples. Their argument is that the verse can be interpreted to mean he received it from the Lord through the work of the other apostles. But that doesn't make sense, in that whole section in Corinthians Paul is asserting his own authority above that and separate to the other apostles. Plus that explanation is not taking the text for what it says, it's inserting a biased opinion into it to generate a new reading. Plus, it makes perfect sense that he would lie in this instance - they won't recognise him as an apostle, so he won't recognise them in return.

Comment