Thread: The Muratorian Canon

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The Muratorian Canon

http://www.bible-researcher.com/muratorian.html

It is my understanding that we have an 8th century copy of a second century document.

Is is considered authentic?

Thanks.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Just to note that it is pretty common for us to have copies of documents written centuries after the original.

I'm always still in trouble again

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Just to note that it is pretty common for us to have copies of documents written centuries after the original.
    Yep. It's in fact very unusual to have even copies written close in time to the original; actual original documents are vanishingly rare.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think this is an important document because it answers the question of who "we" are in John 21.

tWebber
    Faith
    Roman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    http://www.bible-researcher.com/muratorian.html

It is my understanding that we have an 8th century copy of a second century document.

Is is considered authentic?

Thanks.
    Yes, though there has recently been a movement to re-date it to the fourth century.

I don't know what you mean by "authentic." Is the information contained reliable? Some of it is and some of it probably isn't.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    Yes, though there has recently been a movement to re-date it to the fourth century.

I don't know what you mean by "authentic." Is the information contained reliable? Some of it is and some of it probably isn't.
    I use it to show that the Apostle John wrote the Gospel of John.

I hear all kinds of comments like: "you don't know who wrote the Gospel of John." "You don't know who the beloved disciple was." "The author of the Gospel of John is anonymous."

tWebber
    Faith
    Roman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I use it to show that the Apostle John wrote the Gospel of John.

I hear all kinds of comments like: "you don't know who wrote the Gospel of John." "You don't know who the beloved disciple was." "The author of the Gospel of John is anonymous."
    The beloved disciple is almost certainly either John of Zebedee or John the Elder. The Gospel of John is formally anonymous, but so are the rest of the other gospels. Anonymity of written works was not uncommon in the ancient Mediterranean.

I think the external evidence for the authorship of the gospels is mostly inconclusive.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The beloved disciple is almost certainly either John of Zebedee or John the Elder. The Gospel of John is formally anonymous, but so are the rest of the other gospels. Anonymity of written works was not uncommon in the ancient Mediterranean.

I think the external evidence for the authorship of the gospels is mostly inconclusive.
    OK, I think everyone would agree that the pre-existence and the deity of the Messiah, mostly comes from the Gospel of John.

In that case, would there be enough evidence from the rest of the New Testament to prove the pre-existence and deity of Jesus Christ if the Gospel of John had not been written?

I appreciate your help. Thank you.

tWebber
    Faith
    Roman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OK, I think everyone would agree that the pre-existence and the deity of the Messiah, mostly comes from the Gospel of John.

In that case, would there be enough evidence from the rest of the New Testament to prove the pre-existence and deity of Jesus Christ if the Gospel of John had not been written?
    Yes, there would be. Philippians 2:5-8 is a pre-Pauline hymn.

The best book on this is Hurtado's Lord Jesus Christ: Devotion to Jesus in Earliest Christianity.

10. Amen One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes, there would be. Philippians 2:5-8 is a pre-Pauline hymn.

The best book on this is Hurtado's Lord Jesus Christ: Devotion to Jesus in Earliest Christianity.
    I have that book and will read it again. Thanks.