Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Philandro Castile verdict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'd have to ask a patrol officer. Wish I could tell you. My guess is that they simple don't have the same gun anxiety that a lot of US officers have to deal with.
    This case doesn't really support your "gun anxiety" narrative, because the guy claimed he was armed and then continued to reach towards his waist after being repeatedly told not to. In other words, the officer had good cause to feel anxious in this instance. Whether or not his response was justified is another matter.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      You're seeing this as a good thing? If you try as hard as you can, and lose, give up the next time?
      It was the only wise decision to be made. The US was protected by two gigantic walls of ocean, and you had an industry ten times bigger than Germany. We were one-tenth the size, at a historical disadvantage following WWI, and next door neighbors.

Last edited by Leonhard; 06-21-2017, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        I don't want to hear that I'm crazy from someone who speaks garbled Swedish.
        Danes have a throat disease called 'danish', have pity on us.

And you guys are crazy.

Last edited by Leonhard; 06-21-2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          Denmark has less than 1/10 the number of incidents that the US does.

Denmark, 2017 Population: 5,711,432

USA, 2017 Population: 326,442,756

Source

Denmark USA overlaid.jpg

There might be some comparison issues here.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Teal I think the statistics gives a rate of 2 out of 100000 gun related homicides per year for Denmark, but 10 out of 100000 for the US, but I'll see if I can find some good statistics.

Comment

Teal I think the statistics gives a rate of 2 out of 100000 gun related homicides per year for Denmark, but 10 out of 100000 for the US, but I'll see if I can find some good statistics.
              It looked like Roy was just using the raw numbers which he knows better than do. I have no doubt the per capita is lower - but that isn't a valid comparison, either. Comparing Denmark to the US is a lot like comparing grapes to grapefruit - size and nature are different enough that it just doesn't matter that both have grape in the name.

Might be interesting to try it by state instead - pick a strong gun control state and a weak gun control state and see how the three compare (as long as you don't use Texas, California or New York).

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Danes have a throat disease called 'danish', have pity on us.

And you guys are crazy.

Comment

It was the only wise decision to be made. The US was protected by two gigantic walls of ocean, and you had an industry ten times bigger than Germany. We were one-tenth the size, at a historical disadvantage following WWI, and next door neighbors.
                  Good grief man, you used to be Vikings! What the heck happened!
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

FWIW, I can think of several great metal bands from both Finland and Denmark.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      So you DON'T feel that's a good situation. Pretty much how law-abiding citizens feel when confronted by criminals with guns - helpless. Criminals don't care about laws, so all gun control does is put law-abiding citizens at a disadvantage - which is why homicide by firearm is much higher in areas with strict gun control, and so many multiple shootings happen in "gun free" zones. I'd rather not be at a disadvantage.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        I never said that the US should just change its gun laws overnight. The situation is vastly different. Denmark came out of three different wars with the Germans, one 1864, where we fought as hard as we could, and got decimated. Then by Kaiser Wilhelm in WWI, where we surrendered, then by Führer Adolf Hitler in WWII, where again, we surrendered. The only guns the resistance movement had were the ones dropped by the British air force, or cache's hidden by the danish army. Though a few places managed to start a secret production of machine guns.

Because of these occupations, bent on controlling the danish populations, there were no machine guns, or even many guns period owned by ordinary danes. I don't know much about the development of gun laws, but they've been strict for a long time.
                        You are not exactly convincing me that disarming citizens is a good idea.

The same situation hasn't plaid out in the US. How many billions of guns and bullets are lying around in the US? I'm sure its an amount no one could hope to ever control. Even if semi-automatic weapons were banned for civilian use, how on Earth would anyone ever get them back? Anyone with a shovel could bury them, or stuff a cache of them in a mineshaft, or just hide them in the attic. Even if the entire US army was deployed, sweeping the US from East to West I don't see how all the weapons could be retrieved.

So no the situation is different, and while I think you guys are crazy for being so liberal with guns, as I think the Fins are crazy. I understand that the situations aren't comparable. Just that, if you do have a country with nearly no weapons, the police can rest a bit more easy.

I'd have to ask a patrol officer. Wish I could tell you. My guess is that they simple don't have the same gun anxiety that a lot of US officers have to deal with.
                        well think about it, ordinary citizens in the USA can and do own and carry firearms, in public. Yet you don't see mass shootouts and murders going on because of it. Most gun deaths are premeditated by someone (meaning they would get a gun even if not legal, or use another weapon), or gang related (again illegal gun owners) or accidental (which are pretty rare)

Taking guns away from ordinary citizens would not change any of those numbers except perhaps accidental shootings. disarming the citizens only makes it easier for the criminals to have power, or the government.

Comment

• Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Holland. You all sound like you speak garbled German to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Holland. You all sound like you speak garbled German to me.
                            Finnish is rather different than the rest of the above.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Is Finland an actual country?
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment