Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Philandro Castile verdict

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    How do you mean? I checked a few of these links, and I saw just that, citizens who owned guns, and then carried out mass shootings.
    I was not talking about crazies doing mass shootings. I was talking about ordinary citizens who carry guns legally who would use their guns with little provocation. "Hey, you didn't give me the right change!" BLAM! or similar. Just because citizens can and do carry guns doesn't make the USA like the wild west (or what movies show the wild west to be) - there are not a lot (mass) of shootings happening because americans carry guns around with them. Which is what a lot of liberals seem to be promoting as the problem. Most americans who carry guns do so responsibly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Most americans who carry guns do so responsibly.
      But you could say that of people who perpetrate mass shootings. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot on the way over. They were responsible with their weapons. They just pointed them at targets we don't approve of.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        But you could say that of people who perpetrate mass shootings. They didn't shoot themselves in the foot on the way over. They were responsible with their weapons. They just pointed them at targets we don't approve of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          Non responsive comment.
          You sound like you're channeling shuny.
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Exactly. Maybe drop the 'ordinary citizens' bit...
            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I was not talking about crazies doing mass shootings. I was talking about ordinary citizens who carry guns legally who would use their guns with little provocation. "Hey, you didn't give me the right change!" BLAM! or similar. Just because citizens can and do carry guns doesn't make the USA like the wild west (or what movies show the wild west to be) - there are not a lot (mass) of shootings happening because americans carry guns around with them. Which is what a lot of liberals seem to be promoting as the problem. Most americans who carry guns do so responsibly.
              But as Teallaura correctly points out, plenty of crazies start off as ordinary citizens. You don't necessarily cross over into what most people would consider a "crazy" until the day you decide to shoot your office up.

Comment

But as Teallaura correctly points out, plenty of crazies start off as ordinary citizens. You don't necessarily cross over into what most people would consider a "crazy" until the day you decide to shoot your office up.
                yeesh people. You are getting way out of context with my initial comment.

I was just commenting on how gun control laws would not really affect much gun incidents since most crime is done by criminals or those who would still get the guns illegally. That ordinary legal gun owners didn't go around shooting their guns at the drop of a hat so taking their guns away would not lower gun incidents that were not happening in the first place and the ones that are happening (gang wars, mass shooting by nutjobs or terrorists) would still happen anyway.

And no, "ordinary" people don't usually just go off the rails and start shooting up the office. There is usually a history of nutjobbery somewhere there. People might not have noticed it, but usually sane people don't just go nuts one day for no reason and shoot up offices or night clubs.

Comment

Interviews with friends and neighbors of James Hodgkinson, the wannabe assassin of Republican Congressmen, were all describing how normal he was.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Instead of "ordinary", perhaps we should say that the average gun owner is not a murderer
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Interviews with friends and neighbors of James Hodgkinson, the wannabe assassin of Republican Congressmen, were all describing how normal he was.
                      not really. they said he was an odd guy and an angry little man and he posted a lot of crap on facebook.

Comment

not really. they said he was an odd guy and an angry little man and he posted a lot of crap on facebook.
                        Maybe it was his family. His brother said he lived a "normal life" and his niece described him as a "regular guy." His childhood friend described him as a "fun-loving guy" and a "nice guy" and said he was shocked to learn that he was an extremist[1]. Another friend, Charles Orear, described him "quite mellow." And the New York Times described him as an "ordinary Midwest Democrat" who "had surprisingly normal political beliefs"

1. It should be noted that in a video interview his friend, Dale Walsh, immediately launched into a political polemic of his own against some local politician and had to be brought back to the subject. This may or may not be suggestive about what the folks who saw him as normal are like.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Maybe it was his family. His brother said he lived a "normal life" and his niece described him as a "regular guy." His childhood friend described him as a "fun-loving guy" and a "nice guy" and said he was shocked to learn that he was an extremist[1]. Another friend, Charles Orear, described him "quite mellow." And the New York Times described him as an "ordinary Midwest Democrat" who "had surprisingly normal political beliefs"

1. It should be noted that in a video interview his friend, Dale Walsh, immediately launched into a political polemic of his own against some local politician and had to be brought back to the subject. This may or may not be suggestive about what the folks who saw him as normal are like.

In Belleville, alleged gunman remembered 'as a very irascible, angry little man'

For years, James T. Hodgkinson lived what seemed to be an unremarkable life in this quiet community outside St. Louis, sharing a house with his longtime wife, Sue, and running a home inspection and appraisal business.

But at times, residents say, he showed flashes of anger and violence. In 2006, he was charged with a domestic assault involving a gun and, more recently, a neighbor complained to police that he was shooting his rifle at trees on his property.
                          "He was a bit of a misanthrope," said Lyndon Evanko, a retired attorney who said he represented Hodgkinson. "He came across as a very irascible, angry little man, but not somebody I would expect to do something like this."

One man reached by the Tribune on Wednesday who is related to Hodgkinson by marriage said he had met him a few times, and was struck by Hodgkinson's odd personality. Hodgkinson was often "in his own world," the man said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...614-story.html

Comment

In Belleville, alleged gunman remembered 'as a very irascible, angry little man'

For years, James T. Hodgkinson lived what seemed to be an unremarkable life in this quiet community outside St. Louis, sharing a house with his longtime wife, Sue, and running a home inspection and appraisal business.

But at times, residents say, he showed flashes of anger and violence. In 2006, he was charged with a domestic assault involving a gun and, more recently, a neighbor complained to police that he was shooting his rifle at trees on his property.
                            "He was a bit of a misanthrope," said Lyndon Evanko, a retired attorney who said he represented Hodgkinson. "He came across as a very irascible, angry little man, but not somebody I would expect to do something like this."

One man reached by the Tribune on Wednesday who is related to Hodgkinson by marriage said he had met him a few times, and was struck by Hodgkinson's odd personality. Hodgkinson was often "in his own world," the man said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...614-story.html
                            As I said it appears it was family and friends rather than neighbors and acquaintances. It might also say a lot about his family and friends if they thought he was "normal" and "regular" given his violent history and ranting (note the mention of how his childhood friend immediately launched into a political rant of his own about a local politician while being interviewed about Hodgkinson).

Comment

But as Teallaura correctly points out, plenty of crazies start off as ordinary citizens. You don't necessarily express in action what most people would consider a "crazy" until the day you decide to shoot your office up.
                              This.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

NO, how normal he appeared when there was no reason to suspect . . .
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment