Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

manoah & the Angel of the Lord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manoah & the Angel of the Lord

The Angel of the Lord in the OT is a great topic. One of my favorite encounters is with Manoah and his wife:

1)The connection between the angel of the Lord and the preincarnate appearance of the Messiah cannot be denied. Manoah meets the angel of the Lord, and declares that he has seen God. The angel accepts worship from Manoah and his wife as no mere angel, and refers to himself as "Wonderful," the same term applied to the coming deliverer in Isaiah 9:6 ( Jud 13:9-22 ). The functions of the angel of the Lord in the Old Testament prefigure the reconciling ministry of Jesus. In the New Testament, there is no mention of the angel of the Lord; the Messiah himself is this person.

Source: http://www.biblestudytools.com/dicti...-the-lord.html

2) Manoah is instructed in verse 16 to make his offering to the Lord. The reason given is that "Manoah did not realize that it was the angel of the LORD." Manoah needed this explanation because he was going to offer this to the man, but did not even regard him as an angel, let alone the Lord Himself. Verses 17 -18 remind us of the wrestling match between the angel of the Lord and Jacob back in Genesis 32, in which the angel declines to give His name, instead saying, “Why do you ask my name?” The statement given in verse 18 of Judges 13 ("it is beyond understanding") has also been rendered "it is Wonderful." This bears a striking resemblance to Isaiah 9:6, in which one of the names given to the promised incarnate divine Messiah is "Wonderful." When Manoah and his wife make an offering to the Lord, the angel of the Lord ascends in the flame. This reminds us of the sacrifice of Christ who, being God incarnate, was made a sacrifice unto the Father. The ascension of the angel of the Lord in the flame which rises from the burnt offering on the alter carries much symbolic significance and undoubtedly represents the coming sacrifice of Christ as an atonement for sin.

Source: http://apologeticsuk.blogspot.ca/201...l-of-lord.html

There are several references in the Old Testament where God appears as a man (to Abraham, Joshua, Gideon, etc.) Why does it have to be a pre-incarnate Jesus. Why can't it be just God?
    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
      There are several references in the Old Testament where God appears as a man (to Abraham, Joshua, Gideon, etc.) Why does it have to be a pre-incarnate Jesus. Why can't it be just God?
      Because the pre-incarnate Jesus IS God.
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

God the Father stays in heaven. God the Holy Spirit goes forth, but works invisibly. God the Son goes forth, and is the image, also known as the Word of God.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Because the pre-incarnate Jesus IS God.
          So are the Father and the Holy Spirit. According to Isaiah the Father has hands (Isaiah 64:8). I just don't see narrowing it down to one person of the trinity when the Bible doesn't specify one way or another.
          When I Survey....

Comment

So are the Father and the Holy Spirit. According to Isaiah the Father has hands (Isaiah 64:8). I just don't see narrowing it down to one person of the trinity when the Bible doesn't specify one way or another.
            Because Jesus said that nobody except him has ever seen the Father.

John 6:46 No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father.

So the theophanies could not have been the Father.

Comment

Imo, the glowing man seen by Isaiah was the Father

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
                Jesus said no one had ever seen the Father, did He not?
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

John seems to disagree with you:

Source: John 12:36b-43 ESV

When Jesus had said these things, he departed and hid himself from them. 37 Though he had done so many signs before them, they still did not believe in him, 38 so that the word spoken by the prophet Isaiah might be fulfilled:

“Lord, who has believed what he heard from us,
                  and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”
                  39 Therefore they could not believe. For again Isaiah said,

40 “He has blinded their eyes
                  and hardened their heart,
                  lest they see with their eyes,
                  and understand with their heart, and turn,
                  and I would heal them.”
                  41 Isaiah said these things because he saw his glory and spoke of him. 42 Nevertheless, many even of the authorities believed in him, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, so that they would not be put out of the synagogue; 43 for they loved the glory that comes from man more than the glory that comes from God.

© Copyright Original Source

It seems from the context here that John was alleging that the one Isaiah saw and spoke of in Isaiah 6 was not the Father, but the Son.

John 6:46 (and also John 1:18) is also interesting:

Source: John 6:46 ESV

46 not that anyone has seen the Father except he who is from God; he has seen the Father.

© Copyright Original Source

In other words, it seems to me that anyone who takes the NT seriously has to conclude that whenever anyone sees God in the OT it was always a pre-incarnate appearance of the Son, never of the Father.
                  Last edited by JonathanL; 06-21-2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

But the NT does say, in numerous places (mostly in the Gospel of John and his first letter) that no one has ever seen the Father, except the Son, and that it is impossible to see the Father except through the Son. In light of this it cannot have been anyone other than the Son who appeared to all these people in OT times.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus
                      It seems from the context here that John was alleging that the one Isaiah saw and spoke of in Isaiah 6 was not the Father, but the Son.
                      Hmm. Ok.

Comment

That definitely makes Revelation 4-5 a little more confusing.

Comment

That definitely makes Revelation 4-5 a little more confusing.
                          I think the one who sits on the throne in Revelation 4-5 is the Father. My guess is that having a vision of the Father isn't the same as actually seeing Him. I don't think the Father has ever taken a visible pre-incarnate form the same way that the Son has done.

Comment

Well if you think Isaiah 6 is describing the Word of God, then presumably Ezekiel 1 would be as well. And Ezekiel 1 is the same description as Revelation 4-5.

Comment

Well if you think Isaiah 6 is describing the Word of God, then presumably Ezekiel 1 would be as well. And Ezekiel 1 is the same description as Revelation 4-5.
                              I don't see why Ezekiel has to describe the Word of God simply because Isaiah 6 does. As I understand it actual appearances by God in the OT are always of the Son, while visions can be of any of the three Persons in the Trinity, or atleast that's how I understand the passages in the NT saying that no one has ever/cannot see the Father. We know that the vision Isaiah had of God in chapter 6 was of the Son because John explicitly tells us so, but AFAICT it's not explicitly stated anywhere in the OT or NT whether Ezekiel had a vision of the Father or of the Son, so it has to be ascertained in some other way, if there indeed is a way for us to know.

And it's not like the person sitting on the throne has to be the same in both instances, even if the setting is the same. Given that the throne stands for Gods universal dominion and sovereignty, I think it's safe to assume that the person sitting on it can be either the Father, or the Son, depending on what God wants to convey with the vision.

Comment