Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

yet another attack in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yet another attack in London

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/w...on-mosque.html

U.K. Police Investigating Van Attack in London as Terrorism

LONDON — The authorities in Britain said on Monday that they were treating an early morning attack near a mosque in London as a possible act of terrorism, amid fears of retaliation for several recent assaults in the country attributed to Islamist extremists.

Shortly after midnight, a van rammed into a group of pedestrians near the Finsbury Park Mosque, in North London. One person died at the scene and at least 10 were wounded, but the authorities said it was not immediately clear if the attack was responsible for the man’s death.

The assault, which the police said was carried out by a 48-year-old white man who was believed to be acting alone, drew condemnation from a broad array of political and religious figures and came at what Prime Minister Theresa May acknowledged was “a difficult time in the life of the city.”

Some Muslims and others were asking whether the authorities and the news media were quick enough to describe the assault on Monday as an act of terrorism — although Mrs. May said the attack had been declared terrorism within eight minutes.

Speaking in front of her offices at 10 Downing Street, Mrs. May denounced the assault as an act of “hatred” and “evil” against innocent civilians during the holy month of Ramadan, and said security at mosques would be bolstered

Calling the attack a “sickening attempt” to destroy those freedoms, she noted that extremism and hatred could take many forms. But she said the country would never give into hate.

Harun Khan, secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said he recognized that many Muslims would be angry about the attack and appealed for calm, but he also warned of a rising tide of anti-Islamic sentiment.

“During the night, ordinary British citizens were set upon while they were going about their lives, completing their night worship,” Mr. Khan said. “Over the past weeks and months, Muslims have endured many incidents of Islamophobia, and this is the most violent manifestation to date.”

===
    So was this a white person trying to kill muslims? Which still would be terrorism IMHO

Either way, the muslims are eager to use this as a reason to go on the offensive as attack dogs making it look like "islamophobia" is a rampant problem that needs to be stamped out.

On Monday, the Muslim Association of Britain condemned “this evil terror attack,” called for the police to protect mosques and asked the government to fight hate crimes against Muslims.

“We call on politicians to treat this major incident no less than a terrorist attack,” the association said in a statement. “We call on the government to do more to tackle this hateful evil ideology, which has spread over these past years and resulted in an increase of Islamophobic attacks and division of our society, as well as spreading of hate.” ... “When islamist terrorists attack we rightly seek out hate preachers who spur them on,” Mr. Cox wrote on Twitter. “We must do the same to those who peddle Islamophobia.”

---

well, gorsh, if their religion didn't go around being the cause of nearly EVERY SINGLE terrorist attack for the last 50 years maybe people wouldn't be "islamophobic"

Yeah I condemn any violence or attacks on anybody, muslim or not. but I think that Islam need to take just a wee bit of responsibility for the reason why they have such a bad reputation. If you go around killing people routinely and are the cause of most terrorist attacks in the world and are trying to take over the whole middle east and killing your own people, then I think you will end up with people not liking you, and being afraid of you Islam.

If it was in response to the recent spate of terror attacks in the name of Islam it is just as much a terrorist attack as they were.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      If it was in response to the recent spate of terror attacks in the name of Islam it is just as much a terrorist attack as they were.
      yep.

But i just find it ironic how the muslims are acting all outraged and demanding action when their people have been terrorizing London for a while now. Sure I understand that not all muslims are responsible for the attacks. but they react like Islam is completely innocent and any attack by anyone is "Islamophobic" while never claiming that terrorist attacks from Islam is "Christianophobic" or "Jewophobic"

One attack by a white guy pales in comparison to what has been going on with ISIS and Al Quaida and Islam and Sharia law over the last 50 years.

this smacks of the same thing when black gangs go around shooting up the streets and killing cops and nobody hardly says a word, but if one of them gets shot, it becomes world wide news of racism and police brutality.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        yep.

But i just find it ironic how the muslims are acting all outraged and demanding action when their people have been terrorizing London for a while now. Sure I understand that not all muslims are responsible for the attacks. but they react like Islam is completely innocent and any attack by anyone is "Islamophobic" while never claiming that terrorist attacks from Islam is "Christianophobic" or "Jewophobic"

One attack by a white guy pales in comparison to what has been going on with ISIS and Al Quaida and Islam and Sharia law over the last 50 years.

this smacks of the same thing when black gangs go around shooting up the streets and killing cops and nobody hardly says a word, but if one of them gets shot, it becomes world wide news of racism and police brutality.
        Dog bites man v. Man bites dog?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I hope the press can get to the bottom of whether or not this is a terrorist attack.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
            I hope the press can get to the bottom of whether or not this is a terrorist attack.
            I'd say the press is already at the bottom. Couldn't go any lower.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Everyone gets along just fine until the religious fundamentalist pokes his nose in and says ‘this ain’t right’. One pundit said on the radio this morning that this seemed to be a revenge attack. Really? Revenge by who on whom? No, this is deliberate agitation from outside including from your very own reckless and ignorant POTUS.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstretard View Post
                Everyone gets along just fine until the religious fundamentalist pokes his nose in and says ‘this ain’t right’. One pundit said on the radio this morning that this seemed to be a revenge attack. Really? Revenge by who on whom?
                By a british man against a hostile invader?

No, this is deliberate agitation from outside including from your very own reckless and ignorant POTUS.
                get back on your knees before your muslim betters
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  Everyone gets along just fine until the religious fundamentalist pokes his nose in and says ‘this ain’t right’. One pundit said on the radio this morning that this seemed to be a revenge attack. Really? Revenge by who on whom? No, this is deliberate agitation from outside including from your very own reckless and ignorant POTUS.
                  LOL. leave it to firstfloor to find a way to blame it on Trump.

This thread was perfectly fine until firstfloor came along. I blame Trump!

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    Everyone gets along just fine until the religious fundamentalist pokes his nose in and says ‘this ain’t right’.
                    Like this guy?

ht-virginia-shooter-hodgkinson-170614_4x3_992.jpg
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Thankfully we are back to normal Muslim terrorism! All is right in the world...

Car rams police vehicle on famed Paris avenue; attacker dies..

PARIS (AP) — A man on the radar of French authorities was killed Monday after ramming a car carrying explosives into a police vehicle in the capital's Champs-Elysees shopping district, prompting a fiery blast, officials said. France's anti-terrorism prosecutor opened an investigation.

No police officers or passers-by were hurt, the Paris police department said. It is unclear why the attacker drove into police, though officials said the incident was apparently deliberate.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/paris-pol...142124503.html
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Yep. And there should be no "but" after that statement.
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

This attack wasn't terrorism in any meaningful sense of the word.

Here are some common definitions:
                          the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
                          the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion
                          the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
                          There is nothing in there about revenge killings.
                          There is nothing in there about responding to attacks to signal that a people is ready to fight back.

Part of terrorism is indiscriminate killing but that wasn't what the latest attack was about; it was a targeted killing.
                          This killing had nothing to do with politics or trying to change a public policy - it was sans politics.

It is a little irritating to see people jumping around for joy because the media and government are getting sloppy with the use of words. I'm baffled that labeling something 'terrorism' or a 'hate crime' makes it worse in some people's estimation. It is unclear to me how labeling this incorrectly is somehow a win for the Islamic community. All the misuse of terms does is allow politicians to score points for doing nothing and it clouds the steps/solutions that may be necessary in dealing with the very real differences between terrorism and revenge killings. I don't know why this frustrates me. I guess if London wants to be sloppy they'll have to live with the consequences.
                          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                            Yep. And there should be no "but" after that statement.
                            And there wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              yep.

ISIS and Al Qaeda might be relatively recent, but Islam has been causing these problems for closer to 1,400 years.

Comment