Announcement

Collapse

Memorial Garden Guidelines

This forum is to remember all friends and family who passed from this earth. We were lucky to know them, let us encourage one another with their memories.
This is not a debate area, nor a place to speak ill of the dead.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Remembering my Dad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering my Dad

I'll be honest: I did not pay attention in church on Sunday. I was thinking about my Dad; just cycling through some memories of him.

There were precisely three foods in the world that he didn't like: the first I can't recall, tripe, and a little white ball from Kyrgyzstan made of salt and sour milk (not sure how it's spelled).

It occurred to me that this was probably because he was thankful. I now suspect he didn't like everything because his taste buds were just that odd, but because he found something to be thankful for in every food. Consequently, he would try anything and everything, and even the rare stuff he didn't like, he would finish.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

It's been a little over 7 years now (May 2010 when it happened).

A couple months ago, while talking about somebody else's family loss, an older guy that I have a lot of respect for said something like, "Give it five years. It'll make more sense then." This is an older guy who's seen plenty of loss, so it wasn't like he was speaking out of total ignorance.

But that hasn't proven true for me. At the time, it made no sense. My Dad was vibrant, worked hard, and a huge number of people depended on him. Why God would take him away...nobody understood it.

Back to today: it still makes no sense, 7 years later. There haven't been any revelations, anything to make me believe that it accomplished a greater purpose. Far as I can tell, there is no greater purpose. And honestly I kind of doubt that I'll ever see one in this life.

This isn't a complaint, and my older friend's comment really didn't offend me or otherwise bother me. It did make me think, though, and I've decided that saying something like that to someone who's just lost a person is not only unhelpful, but not risky. It hasn't proven true in my case.

Just a bit of rambling thoughts I'm having today.

Comment

My Dad has been gone since 1991 and I still don't understand why. And my Mom since 2008, same.

The pain of loss lessens, but the understanding may not come this side of eternity.

Sometimes we just have to lean on the sovereignty of God.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I meant "but risky" in the second to last paragraph, not "but not risky."

Comment

Just lost my dad this past Christmas Eve. The loss is still new.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X