Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dashcam recording of Castile's shooting released.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Here's what happens when you don't expect the worse:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.3526a21dad7b

On Friday night, Walter was riding with a Richmond police officer when, at about 7:25 p.m., the officer and Walter saw a silver Chevrolet Cobalt pull up to the curb in the Mosby Court neighborhood.

The officer and special agent pulled in behind the car and approached it “to initiate a conversation as part of a consensual encounter,” police said.

As the Richmond officer spoke to the driver of the car, Walter walked up to the passenger side, where Ball was seated. Within moments, a shot was fired, and Ball ran.
    Frankly, these sorts of events actually harm your case. If Castile was a threat, he wouldn't have bothered to announce the weapon in the first place.

People who know how to interact with cops and are licensed to carry do what Castile did. They make the presence of the weapon known. Ideally, they also say where the weapon is.

If Yanez was truly worried, he shouldn't have been so dismissive with his "don't reach for it then". That doesn't sound like a man scared for his life. From the transcripts and testimony, he's stated he didn't know where it was and it looked like Castile's hand was open too wide for just a wallet. Castile was doing what he was supposed to do. Yanez misinterpreted and freaked out, then killed the man for it.

The constant repetition of these sorts of stories are what, imo, helps lead to events like Yanez/Castile. Spread these stories like they're commonplace and act surprised when cops overreact when they shouldn't.
    I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      you watch closely. He never asks for his registration. He asks for his license and insurance. You can't see his girlfriend handing him anything - the back window is very blurred. Try paying attention to what is actually said and shown instead of what you want it to show.
      The transcript has Yanez saying that Castile's hand was wider than reaching for a wallet. It seems reasonable to conclude that Castile was doing as instructed (going for a wallet) when Yanez felt in danger. I suspect, without knowing, that what you see being handed to Yanez initially is probably insurance, with Castile going into his wallet for the license. Given the relative locations of those two objects in my own car, that's what would happen were I stopped.
      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
        The transcript has Yanez saying that Castile's hand was wider than reaching for a wallet. It seems reasonable to conclude that Castile was doing as instructed (going for a wallet) when Yanez felt in danger. I suspect, without knowing, that what you see being handed to Yanez initially is probably insurance, with Castile going into his wallet for the license. Given the relative locations of those two objects in my own car, that's what would happen were I stopped.
        nobody is saying that Yanez didn't do wrong or overreact. He did.

I usually keep my insurance card in my wallet with my license. More recently it is on my phone (Geico) - my registration I keep in my visor.

But both people did wrong here. Castille kept moving when he should have stopped. Yanez got scared and over-reacted and was not clear in telling Castille to just stop moving instead of dismissively first saying "well dont reach for it then"

This was a tragic incident. It was not murder.

Comment

nobody is saying that Yanez didn't do wrong or overreact. He did.

I usually keep my insurance card in my wallet with my license. More recently it is on my phone (Geico) - my registration I keep in my visor.

But both people did wrong here. Castille kept moving when he should have stopped. Yanez got scared and over-reacted and was not clear in telling Castille to just stop moving instead of dismissively first saying "well dont reach for it then"

This was a tragic incident. It was not murder.
          Did I say it was murder?
          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

you watch closely. He never asks for his registration. He asks for his license and insurance. You can't see his girlfriend handing him anything - the back window is very blurred. Try paying attention to what is actually said and shown instead of what you want it to show.
            You have to understand that Jimmy thinks assumptions are evidence.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Frankly, these sorts of events actually harm your case. If Castile was a threat, he wouldn't have bothered to announce the weapon in the first place.
              Would you bet your life on it?

Comment

Let's add some context here:

From the National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund Officer Fatalities Report:

In 2016 there were:

- 135 officers that died,
                - 64 officers shot,
                - 48 killed in traffic (mostly crashes, 15 struck while outside their vehicle)
                - 18 other (11 of which are heart-attacks)

Of the officers shot:

- 21 were ambushed (including 5 in dallas and 3 in baton rouge)

Guess what? If we exclude the 5 and 3, there were more deaths by police officers being struck by vehicles than were ambushed for the entirety of last year. Even if we claimed that all 13 ambushed were traffic stops, that would mean that of the estimated 19 million encounters with drivers (based on 2011 data), only 13 resulted in police being ambushed and killed.
                I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Let's add some context here:

From the National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund Officer Fatalities Report:

In 2016 there were:

- 135 officers that died,
                  - 64 officers shot,
                  - 48 killed in traffic (mostly crashes, 15 struck while outside their vehicle)
                  - 18 other (11 of which are heart-attacks)

Of the officers shot:

- 21 were ambushed (including 5 in dallas and 3 in baton rouge)

Guess what? If we exclude the 5 and 3, there were more deaths by police officers being struck by vehicles than were ambushed for the entirety of last year. Even if we claimed that all 13 ambushed were traffic stops, that would mean that of the estimated 19 million encounters with drivers (based on 2011 data), only 13 resulted in police being ambushed and killed.
                  all that shows is that police officers are pretty good at avoiding ambushes. Good training. Like maybe shooting when you think you are being ambushed?

Comment

I'm not sure I'm following your point, Carry. No one is arguing that the officer acted correctly - are you arguing that he should have been convicted or that there should have been other charges?
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                      I'm not sure I'm following your point, Carry. No one is arguing that the officer acted correctly - are you arguing that he should have been convicted or that there should have been other charges?
                      His not acting correctly resulted in his taking the life of an innocent person. Negligent manslaughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        His not acting correctly resulted in his taking the life of an innocent person. Negligent manslaughter.
                        Sorry, but that implies reckless or criminal behavior. The officer was not acting in a reckless or criminal manner. He was performing his duties and overreacted.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                          Neither one of them acted correctly.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            well apparently a jury thought otherwise. they had a lot more facts than we do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              all that shows is that police officers are pretty good at avoiding ambushes. Good training. Like maybe shooting when you think you are being ambushed?
                              It doesn't show anything of the sort. They are basic facts and figures. They don't say one thing about cause. You want to make those claims, go ahead, but back it up with data.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                                It doesn't show anything of the sort. They are basic facts and figures. They don't say one thing about cause. You want to make those claims, go ahead, but back it up with data.
                                My brother is a cop. I know they are trained on how to approach vehicles, how to keep people in view, and place them to avoid just such incidents. The ambushes usually happen when the officer is too lax or not paying attention and not following his training. Without this training you can be sure there would be a lot more police deaths.

Comment