Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dems Lose Five For Five Open Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Out of curiosity, Jim, what point are you trying to make? Seriously, I don't think I follow you - are you arguing that that many losses are no issue at all or just not that big of an issue?
    He's like the man sitting in a burning house and saying, "Everything is fine."
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      What I'm saying is that the losses are not as big a deal as MM and others are making them out to be. They were all long time republican districts, and Dems from the get go were never expected to win. It started to look, according to the polls, as though Ossoff had a good chance to pull off a big upset in Georgia 6th. It would have been a big deal if he did win it, which means that its not a big deal that the Republicans held on, they were supposed to win. Just like they were supposed to win, and did so, in Montana, S. Carolina, and Kansas, all strong republican districts. The good sign for the Democrats is that the Republican margin of victory in all of those states have dropped dramatically. My other point was that what happens in special elections doesn't necessarily reflect what will happen in the 2018 elections. The Democrats won 3 special elections when Obama was elected in 2008, and then got crushed in the 2010 elections.
      Okay, got you.

I agree in general - I wouldn't overplay the importance of this. However, it is odd - and does not really compare to the Obama wins in 2010. Obama was still enjoying comfortable popularity numbers at the time.

Personally, I strongly suspect the polling is skewed and so many wins might indicate that (would not PROVE it, of course - just sorta point that way for the moment). I haven't the time or the money to do the research necessary - and since I'm not a political party or a paid researcher, I can simply wait and see what happens (unless someone wants to PAY me to research it ). If Trump is as unpopular as the media portrays him to be, this is an odd (not impossible) outcome.
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        He's right that it's not a sign of the Democratic Party Apocalypse. In my opinion, it's an odd outcome given the current supposed political climate. I think it may tell us more about the polling than the popularity, however.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

He's right that it's not a sign of the Democratic Party Apocalypse. In my opinion, it's an odd outcome given the current supposed political climate. I think it may tell us more about the polling than the popularity, however.
          The media is vastly overstating Trump's unpopularity, and the chaos and infighting within the Democrat party is a good indication of the current state of politics. The Democrats have been in disarray since Trump won the election.

Comment

The media is vastly overstating Trump's unpopularity, and the chaos and infighting within the Democrat party is a good indication of the current state of politics. The Democrats have been in disarray since Trump won the election.
            I don't disagree.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Depends on who does them - but most media outlets seem to be buying their polls from the lowest bidder...

It seems polling is now done to try to influence thought rather find out what people think

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

One has to wonder just how many more "moral victories" that the Democrats can stomach.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  One has to wonder just how many more "moral victories" that the Democrats can stomach.
                  At least, policy wise, the democrats are moral.

Comment

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha *takes deep breath* hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Comment

The only “burning house” is the Trump White House, with Trump’s 38% approval rating vis-ŕ-vis 57% disapproval rating (Gallup). This after only six months in office!
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

What I'm saying is that the losses are not as big a deal as MM and others are making them out to be. They were all long time republican districts, and Dems from the get go were never expected to win. It started to look, according to the polls, as though Ossoff had a good chance to pull off a big upset in Georgia 6th. It would have been a big deal if he did win it, which means that its not a big deal that the Republicans held on, they were supposed to win. Just like they were supposed to win, and did so, in Montana, S. Carolina, and Kansas, all strong republican districts. The good sign for the Democrats is that the Republican margin of victory in all of those states have dropped dramatically. My other point was that what happens in special elections doesn't necessarily reflect what will happen in the 2018 elections. The Democrats won 3 special elections when Obama was elected in 2008, and then got crushed in the 2010 elections.
                        You’re right, it was not that “big a deal”. Georgia was a gerrymandered district with a ten percent Republican margin advantage. So it was an uphill battle from the beginning. It’s still disappointing that so many of the right wingers just don't care about Trump's ongoing crap...the US will pay the price in due course.

Also the Democrat was inexperienced, got killed by really negative ads and had the integrity not to fight back in kind. And, as well, the message was mostly anti Trump personally rather than focusing on the negative policies emanating from the White House, which was probably a mistake.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

(the sad thing is, Jimmy really believes this! )
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

For very low values of morality.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                              The only “burning house” is the Trump White House, with Trump’s 38% approval rating vis-ŕ-vis 57% disapproval rating (Gallup). This after only six months in office!
                              And yet Democrats just can't seem to win, not even an election that was touted as a referendum against the President. How odd.

Comment

And yet Democrats just can't seem to win, not even an election that was touted as a referendum against the President. How odd.

Yeah, the buildup was.... But when the Dems lost, "well, that's not surprising at all...."

It's really fun to watch liberals when they're out of power.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment