Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dems Lose Five For Five Open Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dems Lose Five For Five Open Seats

Again, last night in Georgia! The polls Monday had them neck and neck, with some having Ossoff up two points, but Handel won by five points even with Ossoff spending much, much more.

In Georgia, Handel reaches out to Democrats and thanks Trump

DUNWOODY, Ga. (AP) — Republican Karen Handel declared victory in Georgia's 6th Congressional District with a promise that she'll work to gain the confidence of voters who backed her Democratic opponent. But Handel's thank you to President Donald Trump in the same speech Tuesday night is unlikely to comfort backers of the Democrat who came to symbolize anti-Trump resistance.
    Handel won about 52 percent of the vote to quell the upstart phenomenon of Jon Ossoff, a 30-year-old Democrat who raised more than $23 million and became a symbol of opposition to Trump.
    The thank you to Trump was Handel's most public show of support of the man who wasn't embraced by many voters in the well-educated suburban Atlanta district in November and who she handled delicately throughout a primary and runoff election to fill the congressional seat vacated by Tom Price to take a spot in Trump's cabinet.

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDefault/*/Ar...478847dc5ba35b

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...use-races.html
    Last edited by seer; 06-21-2017, 08:05 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Somewhat encouraging news, but pretty much all the races were closer than initially expected. This shouldn't be taken as a sign that Republicans will escape mid-term elections unscathed.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Somewhat encouraging news, but pretty much all the races were closer than initially expected. This shouldn't be taken as a sign that Republicans will escape mid-term elections unscathed.
      Well it doesn't bode well for Dems...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Well it doesn't bode well for Dems...
        I wouldn't say that. It's less than they'd hoped, obviously, but they weren't exactly blown out of the water.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          I wouldn't say that. It's less than they'd hoped, obviously, but they weren't exactly blown out of the water.
          After 6 months of wall to wall negative coverage on the MSM these five wins in a row are nothing short of a miracle.
          At the very least they're evidence that the people no longer believe the press - which is perhaps a more significant win.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Ouch - even the daily beast...

Jon Ossoff's $23 Million Loss Shows Dems Have No Idea How to Win in the Age of Trump

‘The fight goes on. Hope is still alive,’ Ossoff said in his concession speech, as his party struggles to crack the code for converting resistance into victory.

SANDY SPRINGS, Georgia—After $50 million and a congressional contest bigger than some presidential primaries, the special election in Georgia’s 6th District to replace Rep. Tom Price ended up where it began, with the House seat still in Republican hands and national Democrats still looking for a way to turn the resistance to Donald Trump into a victory at the polls.

With 81 percent reporting, former Secretary of State Karen Handel defeated Democrat Jon Ossoff 52.5 percent to 47.5 percent.

From the moment Price announced he was leaving the seat to become President Donald Trump’s secretary of health and human services, the race to replace him was a highly nationalized, money-soaked brawl—a referendum, especially for Democrats, on the president in an affluent suburban Atlanta district he’d barely won in November.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/karen-h...e-era-of-trump

Comment

2017-06-21-75884396_large.jpg

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
                After 6 months of wall to wall negative coverage on the MSM these five wins in a row are nothing short of a miracle.
                At the very least they're evidence that the people no longer believe the press - which is perhaps a more significant win.
                You may have a point.

2017-06-21-ad98d37d_large.jpg

sigpic

Comment

The Democratic party's Kill Whitey platform turns a lot of that energy against them. A significant % of their black voters won't turn out for a white democrat as a direct result of that, while they also end up bleeding centrist white democrats.
                  "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Ya think?

Democrats Seethe After Georgia Loss: ‘Our Brand Is Worse Than Trump’

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/21/u...democrats.html

Comment

So the Democrats keep insisting that an election loss at the congressional level would signal a referendum against Trump. Does that mean a Republican win signals a referendum for him?
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                        The Democratic party's Kill Whitey platform turns a lot of that energy against them. A significant % of their black voters won't turn out for a white democrat as a direct result of that, while they also end up bleeding centrist white democrats.
                        You would think feminists would be delighted that a relatively unattractive woman defeated a young, white pretty boy.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                          I spent this last weekend with my liberal brother.
                          I told him that liberalism is a suicide cult and cited several examples.
                          In all of my arguments over the years with him I've never seen him that flustered.

I'm surprised the 'Kill Us' platform still gets so many votes when up against the 'Kill Our Enemies' platform.
                          It shouldn't even be close.
                          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

The liberals and the MSM want to spin a narrative that American hates Trump and conservatives. All they show is the antifa demonstrations, keep pushing the Russian thing, now the obstruction of justice, etc. But apparently the public doesn't buy it. They still want republicans in office. They don't trust the MSM and what they report.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Again, last night in Georgia! The polls Monday had them neck and neck, with some having Ossoff up two points, but Handel won by five points even with Ossoff spending much, much more.
                              I have to admit, when I heard the news I was laughing my Ossoff

Things to keep in mind...
                              • At least 97% of the $30 million that was spent trying to get this empty suit elected came from out of state (with nearly all of it from California and New York).
                              • Ossoff could not even vote for himself being he isn't a resident not only in the 6th district but even the state of Georgia. He didn't even bother to lease or rent a place of his own (showing at least some sort of commitment) but instead opted to stay at his parent's place.
                              • Nate I've-been-wrong-in-every-single-recent-election Silver had said that "there's a 70% chance Ossoff wins and a 30% chance that MATH IS DEAD AND DATA IS BROKEN" (emphasis in the original).
                              • CNN had it 51% for Ossoff and 44% for Handel (who won 52 to 48) in their polling right before the election. When it became obvious that Handel was going to win, CNN Tonight host Don Lemon tried to spin it into a moral victory for the Democrats but CNN's Political Director, David Chalian, would have none of it. "I don't think there are moral victories here" Chalin explained. "This was the best shot Democrats in these special elections to really try to make a victory in the Trump era. And they came up short."
                              • ABC, NBC and CNN were all hyping this election as a "referendum" on Donald Trump’s presidency.
                              • Ossoff was being called the "Trump Killer" by Democrats, an absolutely tasteless choice given the attempted massacre of Republican Congressman by a Bernie Sanders campaign worker and Occupy Wall Street rioter just one week ago. Imagine the outrage if the roles were reversed and the Republicans called one of their candidates an "Obama Killer" even without an attempted slaughter having just taken place.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment