Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Where's your Timothy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's your Timothy?

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is 2 Timothy 2:2 --- [2]*And the things which thou hast heard from me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

Some years ago, I became convinced that every Christian man needs a Paul, and every Christian man needs a Timothy. The Pastor of my youth has been my Paul for many years, and I have, along the way, managed to disciple a number of Timothies. Right now, I have three Timothies... my associate pastor, and two young men in my Church.

So, who's your Paul, and where's your Timothy?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I would actually say a couple of men here on TWeb have sort of fulfilled that role some over the years. I don't know that I yet have a Timothy. I've been doing a lot of maturing over the last few years and I'm not sure I'm yet ready for that sort of responsibility.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      I would actually say a couple of men here on TWeb have sort of fulfilled that role some over the years. I don't know that I yet have a Timothy. I've been doing a lot of maturing over the last few years and I'm not sure I'm yet ready for that sort of responsibility.
      If I might kindly suggest....

What does one need to know in order to be a dog trainer? the answer, of course, is "more than the dog".

One of the best ways to learn is to be a teacher. When I am actively teaching a class, or preparing sermons, I'm STUDYING. Even moreso when teaching than preaching, because members of a class will ask questions. That rarely happens when I preach.

I would really encourage you to find a young man who is new to the faith, or very "shallow" in it, and become an encourager to him. Read Paul's letters to Timothy, because they are chock full of the kind of advice and encouragement you would give a new (or younger) Christian. It doesn't have to be a "formal" thing... it can start off as a friendship thing.

As I'm typing this, it's really really becoming clearer to me -- if you don't feel ready to be a Paul, start off being a Barnabas.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't think I've ever had a 'Timothy,' and I used to have a 'Paul' who was a professor at a Biblical Institute I attended, but unfortunately, he moved away to another area of the country to pastor a church.
        At least now he's a 'Paul' to many others.

Comment

Good question. Only possible Timothy I'd have would have to be my son. Which is a good reminder that I ought to be more of a Paul to him.

As to who is my Paul, hmm, I'd say I'm lacking in one there, and not sure who I'd pick. I mean, I like the pastor and associate pastor of my church and all, and would have no issue with them being a Paul to me: but they just aren't.
          No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X